What is the purpose of the sword? Is it a skirmish weapon...

What is the purpose of the sword? Is it a skirmish weapon? What is the practical use of longer swords that need room to be swung or stabbed?

It's a phallic symbol.

They used them in armies. People would swing them at eachother

>purpose
kill
Alternatively, look cool and badass

>skirmish
Define skirmish. As in used by a skirmisher? Then not really

>practical use of long
It's longer, it's harder to hit you back.

>What is the purpose of the sword?
To kill people/defend yourself with
>Is it a skirmish weapon?
What does this mean? Skirmishers are generally light troops that can attack at range with bows, javelins, etc. A lot of skirmishers had weapons like swords to defend themselves with if they got caught up in the melee, but they're by no means a weapon exclusive to skirmishers.
>What is the practical use of longer swords that need room to be swung or stabbed?
You can attack your opponent from further away, giving you an advantage

Mainly because it is a long all metal weapon. A spear shaft won't break easily but it has to be heavy enough to last a good while which puts a short spear at a weight disadvantage compared to an equally lengthed sword. Also being able to cut using any part of the length of the sword is useful.

>What is the practical use of longer swords that need room to be swung or stabbed?
They are good from horseback, or camelback.

it's a side arm. You can carry one around with you all the time and it's not too cumbersome. Try carrying a halberd around with you all the time for self defense.

that's a pretty cool webm, except for the intense shaky cam.

The sword is primarily a phallic symbol of power, not an effective tool of the battlefield.

As a sword collector and HEMA practitioner I fully agree with this. Nothing gives me a hardon like a nice sword!

Unlike the spear or halberd or even the bow the sword is a weapon you can wear around. when your on the battlefield, in camp, in town, surveying your land, its always there. Because of that the sword takes on a higher status, because its an everyday weapon, and is often a bit more expensive than a spear.

That also contributes to it being the main dueling weapon.

Is this a vestige of the Vandal and Visigoth Kingdoms?

>there are people out there who unironically believe this

Then we can conclude that swords were a psyops weapon. Wearing one causes ancent warriors to have a humongous hardon that terrifies the enemy into submission. Just like how ancient rome defeated hannibal's elephants

That would be the General Butt Naked Army.

But spears were invented first and are cheaper to make, and early warfare favored shield and spear formations. What were the circumstances that gave armies with swords an advantage?

But didn't that hurt?

Spears are lighter than swords of the same length, you absolute retard.

>of the same length
A short spear is still 5 feet long you retard. A short sword is like 2 feet long.

YOu do know spears were always favoured in war, even for knobled you'd want a mace to get through the armour

"[The sword] is such a weapon that all the people use it; the one who knows (how to use it) and the one who does not, young and old are protected by it everywhere. And it (the sword) is (such) a good brother that it does not become inactive in wide or even narrow places. One needs it on the sea and on the land and in crowd. On a very windy day the lance becomes a burden for its possessor, but this (the sword) never becomes useless. And on that day the archer can not shoot his arrow straight, (therefore) no one can do without the sword."

"Although they have many weapons, they would never be able to do without the sword, but those who have swords can do without all the other weapons."

Muhammad Ibn Yaqub Ibn Ahi Hazzam al-Hattali, Kitab al-Furusiyya va'l-Baytara, 14th century

>dory
>84-108"
>2-4lbs depending on wood used

>gladius
>model dependent
>1.5–2.2 lb
>24–33"
You can literally have an 84" spear for the same weight as a gladius of 33".

Fuck off, you absolute moron.

pretty much this. The sword has a versatility to multiple situations that many weapons lack. There are specific weapons like the spear that are better in certain situations, but but the sword is at least workable in many many situations

When I google that quote I only get Veeky Forums posts

I got it from Veeky Forums too but it came from a trustworthy tripfag on /k/ who probably took it from a written source.

context of this picture, please. That's a North African (Berber?) carrying what appears to be a Germanic sword.

>Germanic sword

You rube.

Straight swords have been used in Africa and the Islamic world. Sabres only became popular during the 14/15th century.

Yes. It's the hilt and taper that gave me a strange impression.

cut people ded

t. sword expert

Actuallu lots of Swords used in the 19th/20th century were made in Spain or Germany, specially Solingen, lots of Takouba, kaskara and other "Ethnic" swords had an European blade.
That one, if I recall well, was a token of respect and peace from the French to the Tuaregs after the French won a war vs them.

This is well possible. However, the shape of the blade was nothing unusual for the region so the design might as well be "ethnic".

no no no, that's a meme to try and sell you those Sudanese swords that have fake proof marks on them from the 15th cen. yes SOME went south, but not many at all its like one crate of 100. its a classic 'i think i have something much rarer then what i paid for' trick.

these sword do LOOK similar if you ignore all the bits that arnt.

Depends on the sword.

Katana is meant to cut.

That sword the guy is holding is actually French, it's a photo of Brent stirton I think, the sword tthe one than was handed after the battle of Tit, where the Tuaregs were crushed.
Also I know what do you mean, but Europeans swords were very sought after, be it in Africa or even india, of course there are immitations and only a very naive person would believe an African seller, but there are lots of sword blades made in the 18th-19th century in Africa/asia.

Uneven terrain breaking up the phalanx posed a problem but it wasn't until the Romans that this weakness was significantly exploited. What changed? Maybe the Romans pioneered fighting in formation with swords and others were slow to adapt. Maybe they were exposed to new innovations like chainmail and methods of raising and supporting troops before they fought the Diadochi and these changed the game. Possibly their large economy and naval power allowed them to supply troops for longer and force enemies to fight on unfavorable terrain.
If a spear were used like a sword its shaft would have to be thickened to improve durability thereby making it heavier.

Did the elephants get hardons ,

Most swords are meant to cut

Sauce?

most swords are meant to pierce

Killing people.