Redpill me on Russia

Why does it seem like this country just erupted out of the blue in the last century?

Obviously America was English people stealing land from the natives and fighting off the Spainards.
South America was the same but where the exiled Spainards retreated.
Canada came about of the French claiming what wasn't already taken.
Inland Europe were a hodgepodge of hunter-gatherer tribes that spun off Mesopatoamia and I'm guessing refugees of the Mongol empires.
Asia is the land left over after the fall of the Mongol empire to the Crusades.
Italy, Portugal, and Greek are the more developed Caucasian countries because they lived near the coast and blessed by prosperity. But they still fought each other anyway.
Africa and Japan both isolated themselves from the rest of the world and demonstrate my coastal-prosperity axiom.

Ok, I get that. But what I don't get is how Russia just POOFED into existence, or why there seems to be this disparity when it comes to learning about their history in American education. They're the second most powerful nation in the world and yet all you ever hear about is Germany this, that, or the other. What's more, per their location and as I understand harsh temperament you would believe they'd be no more developed than Canada, if not worse. I suppose being the closest country to Japan does have its perks, but I doubt Japan is somehow responsible for them being the superpower that they are.

>it's another "pretend to make Americans look bad through making shitty threads out of envy" episode

>Why does it seem like this country just erupted out of the blue in the last century?
Cause you're retarded.

kill yourself

I am American and I hate our education system. I have no doubt in my mind it's the worst in the world and that we only make it sound good to compensate for lack of our own culture. I wouldn't need to make this thread if the power that be weren't so xenophobic about Russia and had just taught me about the country.

>for lack of our own culture
Confirmed not American.

>They're the second most powerful nation in the world

Your GDP is smaller than Italy's. Screw off Ivan.

you put a lot of effort into this bait so you deserve another response

None of what you wrote makes any fucking sense.

But to answer you question Russia was founded by the Rus dynasty in the 8th or 9th century i think, look up "Kievan Rus"

>Why does it seem like this country just erupted out of the blue in the last century?
>erupted out of the blue in the last century
Are you retarded by any chance? I'm being serious right now.
> POOFED into existence
Wikipedia is just a few keyboard presses away and it'll give you a basic understanding of Russian history.

It's not >American education meme but >literal years meme

Independence Day and Thanksgiving don't amount to culture. Culture is something that you develop over generations between friends and family. Not something you do arbitrarily in reaction to another culture or society.

Next you'll tell me Taco Bell is one of the peak achievements of American culture.

>erupted out of the blue
How uneducated are you seriously? Various European people were alarmed about Russia and the threat they pose to Europe pretty much ever since Peter I.

Who cares about Slavnigger? They should be purged!

t. Jew

>football
>automotive culture
>baseball
>American beer culture
>midwest farmboy culture
>Cali culture
>Southern culture
>Various New England cultures
The only reason you think America has no culture is because whatever shithole you live in has subsumed American culture into its own through media and you've never fucking been here to find out. Jesus. You can even fucking Google "American culture" and find out how stupid you fucking are.

You have learned about it but you didn't try to connect the dots and put it into a big picture. This happens to students all the time and you can puzzle things up

Or you are just trolling

We were pretty prolific in Russian history when I was attending public school - and that was during the cold war.

Long story short, ~800AD, a bunch of slavs and finnos read too much Greek poetry and decided they could make more potato beer* if they worked together, and got everyone around them drunk on the stuff.

Then they put a njord in charge, because apparently he could drink the most beer. Thus we get the Kievan Rus and the first real slavic state (or network of states), who go and off some Khazars. This, coupled with closer ties with Byzantium, makes everyone go Orthodox. The slavs are still getting the most tail though, and pretty much end up absorbing everyone else.

This was followed by a lengthy series of conflicts with some Turkish tribes, followed by a whole lotta inner conflicts, and eventually, the state system kinda went into a coma with the fall of Kiev somewhere around the 13th century when the Mongols came charging in for that sweet beer.

A century or two later, under their new benevolent Mongol masters, the power center moved to Moscow and they started to get their shit together again - eventually, tossing out the Mongols.

Then Ivan the Great comes along and goes full throttle expansionist, spreading those fermented potatoes like wildfire.

Then Ivan the Terrible comes along, goes full Stalin purge mode, and tears the place in two. This is followed by everyone near starving to death due to a combination of that, and some even more shit than usual weather. During this, they nearly get plowed over by the Poles.

So, it's now the 17th century, the Romanov's kick the last of the Poles out, followed by a bunch of drama you're probably at least passingly familiar with, followed by so much expansion that they are now the largest nation on the damned planet.

This is followed by a long game of European copy cat. Peter the Great pretty much turns the place into yet another European styled nation: senate, provinces, taxes - the works, plus a few more wars and a bloated military for good measure. Said bloated military nearly bankrupts the nation.

A little while later Catherine the Great (who our high school teacher would not shut the fuck up about - and who totally did not fuck a horse, really) doubles down on that, creates all sorts of international romantic drama and scandals, kicks the Ottoman's ass, expands everywhere, and all around Makes Russia Great Again.

Then Alexander I comes along and expands even more. He allies with Napoleon, then he declares him an enemy, then declares him and ally again, and then finally declares war on Napoleon... And then kicks Napoleons ass while he's still dizzy from all the flip flops (and freezing his ass off while wondering why all the fields are on fire).

Which should put you in the timeline you're now looking for, cuz if you aren't familiar with Napoleon's defeat in Russia, I've no idea what rock you've been living under.

...So, yeah, Russia has a traumatic history as lengthy of any of the western European nations, and is the source of endless fanfic, so I'm not sure how, even if completely uneducated, you'd get it into your head that they "came out of nowhere".

* This is a vodka joke - neither potatoes nor vodka are a thing in Russia until much later, so I am reminded.

>I suppose being the closest country to Japan does have its perks, but I doubt Japan is somehow responsible for them being the superpower that they are

This has to be bait because the fact that that thought even popped into your head is just totally fucking retarded and I refuse to believe a human being could unironically come up with that.

Russia/Muscovy's been a big deal for hundreds of years. Pick up a history book.

>Russia just POOFED into existence
Calling centuries of violent struggle against stronger nations, and non stop expansionism after are a lot more than a poof.

>implying self-hating americans aren't cool as fuck in our bizarro modern day culture

i don't doubt this guy for a second

>first Slavic state
Great Moravia and Samo's empire were older.

>Obviously America was English people
It was the Dutch, British and Irish-Scots specifically, as long as they accepted Protestantism. It's possible that many Spanish women and Conversos would have made the transition to becoming early Americans. Spanish Catalans would not have been allowed to immigrate. You should remember that the native population was vastly overestimated by the beginning of the 20th century (most were already dead by the beginning the 17th).

what the fuck are you talking about, russia dates back 500 years you moron, more if count the kievan rus

also i have literally never seen an attempt to sum up the history of the development of teh world as poor as what you wrote below that

>They're the second most powerful nation in the world

Not on this world there not.

Perhaps not as a unified, formal state but Russian/Soviet tropes and ideas are still very powerful. From a broader perspective GDP is not entirely reliable.

Russia is a failing petro-state with a dilapidated military, poor quality of life index, and has become an international pariah with a very short list of friends. And I'd say that "Russian/Soviet tropes and ideas" are less influential now than they have ever been as nearly all of the developing world is recognizing the potential of capitalism to rapidly modernize a nation and improve quality of life.

>tropes
Go back to fucking reddit.

>But to answer you question Russia was founded by the Rus dynasty in the 8th or 9th century i think, look up "Kievan Rus"
Russia is only wewuzing as Kievan Rus, they have nothing in common.

Shut up shlomo

>hey're the second most powerful nation in the world
> them being the superpower that they are.

Mate which decade are you living in? They are certainly a world power but they have been completely eclipsed. We live in a globalised economy where economic clout is almost as important as military. Think about this for a second Italy, yes Italy has a higher GDP than the entire Russian Federation . Likewise look at the the state of their militaries an ability to project power.

>Redpill me
Fuck off.

You don't seem to understand what culture means.