Why does everyone say you "cant beat the market"?

I have beaten the market by thousands of percent with cryptocurrency. When I tell this to family, they say I basically gambled and got lucky, and I need to sell while I'm ahead.

I dont understand their thinking. I EXPECTED these kinds of gains. So when people tell me I gambled, it doesnt seem right. If I picked cryptocurrency, then it means I can recognize a good idea when I see it. wouldnt that mean I'm more likely to beat the market by picking individual stocks too?

Listen to your family stupid idiot.

PLEASE go into the stock market put all your money into the stocks that you expect to go up, because you are constantly beating the market.

If i had listened I wouldnt have beaten the market. Thats whats confusing to me. They say I cant beat the market, then I overwhelmingly beat the market and they still spout that same advice.

Kek read the article faggot

Also crypto =/= "the market" which references ONLY stocks, options, bonds, and now warrants

Which you would never make money on because crypto is fucking baby tier when it comes to making money

a "whale" is anyone with 25k, which is easy and it makes manipulation piss easy. that's why this market (crypto) is a whale's market.

but on stocks? a "whale" is someone wiht AT LEAST 5 million USD. something which crypto does not have.

wait until real players get into it and watch your "mad gains" crumble

No one says you cant beat the market. The phrase is you cant beat city hall.

MOST people cant beat the market on a regular basis.
Chances are you are most people and you got lucky.

(Note crypto market went 3x in a few months so you would have to have beat that in a big amount in order to say u have "beaten the market")

"Beating the market" means sustained gains over a period of years, not lucking into easy gains on a 3 month bull run.

This. Can't beat the market would mean, for the crypto market for example, Say the average goes up 1000% in a year. It means you can't do better than the average, consistently each year. It doesn't mean you won't make any money or whatever middle school statement Op said.

>retard gets gains on worlds craziest bull market
>now thinks hes hot shit
Makes sense.

They mean continuous attempts over a period of many years you can't beat the market. Your gains will follow a normal distribution that matches the average market return.

>Note crypto market went 3x in a few months so you would have to have beat that in a big amount in order to say u have "beaten the market

false. Thats like saying someone who bought a lot of silver expecting a FIAT crash still has to beat all other precious metals to beat the market.

You can beat the market, but you are unlikely to beat the market TRADING STOCKS because of market manipulation, brokerages, fees, and algorithmic traders.

That's the point.

Anyone can beat the market by looking outside of equity markets.

For example, venture capital, private enterprise, real estate (in some cases), buying up distressed assets/machinery, flipping goods. All of this can beat the market.

Yes, you can beat the market, but you are unlikely to do it doing the same thing that everyone does which is trading stocks against large wall street institutions.

Don't let the poorfags discourage you, >10% is easily possible.

A. "The Market" means STOCKS and other things on the STOCK MARKET. Cryptocurrencies are not stocks. They are not on the market.

B. They mean over a long period of time as in years or decades.

But cute little humblebrag you had going there.

>can recognize a good idea
an idea isn't worth anything. what you mean is that you should be able to recognize a reliable company/leader and you would back them.

besides that, for me to even begin to explain the math and risks behind "beating the market" would go completely over your massive head. EVERYBODY "expects" their investment to grow.

most of the retard luckboxes will give back 95% of their gains when this thing blows up (it will)

you'll never sell because you experienced massive lucky gains quickly

everyone thinks they are somebody when they catch a lucky bubble trades never over until you sell

Everyone was beating the market in 1927 America. Right now is basically the roaring 20s of crypto. Hell I threw a dart a coin market cap and put 1k into that coin, already made 350%. Anyone can make gains in this market

Wow you're an idiot...

>i expected those gains
Well let me tell you something, a gambler expects to winn too

What's the difference?

I know it's not gambling but you sure as hell to retarded to make a decent case for your self and crypto in general
What is, most likely, the root of your family's distrust in the system

assuming i have about 40K to spend, how would I go about being a whale?

>you can't beat the market
It's a leftover from the Efficient Market Hypothesis being spread as propaganda in the 1980s by professional financial "analysts"

a lot of that can be traced back to Malkiel's "A Random Walk Down Wallstreet"

anyways, power law distribution of stock returns and the events of the last 10 years (credit bubble, crypto bubble) prove that EMH is bullshit, so I wouldn't listen to anyone saying you can't beat the market, it's just loser talk.

Your family is basic and can't apply it to their life. Ignore them and do you, user.

the answer is obviously god loves you more than he does that don't beat the market

feel blessed brother and praise him

The only time I've ever made mad gains on paper in the stock market was through intuition of undervalued stocks because I knew the industry better than the investors.

Video game companies and AMD are some big ones.

I agree, without some sort of "edge" as much of a meme as that is, you won't make any money. I currently have a pretty large position in GameStop (>10K). I bought at ~20.80 so I'm not too worried about it, and it's paid some nice dividends too.

Some markets you can't beat, like the early 1990's S&P 500 Futures when you had to phone in the order and pay $20 a round turn plus slippage. I placed over 1500 real money daytrades in that market and lost $30,000. Crypto is easy to trade compared to that!!!!

Hope someone answers that's a good question.

So they do have 50 foot tall high school girls in Japan.

My ex girlfriend said investing was stupid because trump is president and ww3 is about to start. I turned 2k into 30k in 3 months now. I'd have 100k if I hadn't traded.

Anyone who seriously believes "you can't beat the market" is an idiot. All it takes is reading the publicly available financial data, looking at upcoming dates for product releases and making an educated guess on how much hype it will produce and putting money in a week or two before hand and selling a day or two before the event.
Morons who just plop their money onto ETF and expect to get returns are the ones who don't beat the market. I've only been trading since fucking May 10th and I've managed to increase the portfolio 27%. This is just using halfass tools like Robinhood instead of full featured platforms like ToS or Tastyworks. People here seem to forget that you're actually investing in companies and their future and this is much easier to predict than some meme crypto coin. Crypto is a fucking black box and nobody has any clue when it's going to moon or crash outside of some limited TA readings.

my man

it requires some diligence is the thing

gotta grind through some books on the subject first so you know which way is up on a 10K

but picking isn't dead - having all the info at our fingertips makes it harder to know what's useful unless you have a preexisting strategy

>I've only been trading since fucking May 10th

The market is pretty stupid, all things considered. I called AMD at $2, Bitcoin at $200 and Ethereum pre-ICO.

>May
>27%

Yeah you're doing this wrong m8 those are fucking baby gains

A successful speculation is an investment, a failed speculation is a lesson you extract afterward.

Noice

>tfw didn't buy 1000 of every coin for shits
>tfw not a millionaire yet eating everything I want like vid related

What did he mean by this?

>Morons who just plop their money onto ETF and expect to get returns are the ones who don't beat the market.

>ETF
>Beat the market
>ETF
>Market

Dont believe people who buy ETFs expect to beat the market...

This how would I use cash money to fuck wit it

If you only make calculated long investments you'll basically always make money. If you're a candlecuck though, no.

You can be a whale on BTC with just 40k, 5M whales aren't far from what you need to manipulate BTC

Can't*

I think people who tilt small cap value expect a greater annualized return than the s&p 500

so they do if that's "the market

Index ETFs have been beating the market since GFC...

t. Someone who works in investments

You're not a whole with 25k, lmao. I handle more money and I'm nowhere close to being a "whale". Guys with 1 mio+ are the whales, unless you're talking about some obscure shitcoin on Bittrex or the likes of yobit, nova etc., and that's not where the money is anyway, kek.