What exactly about slavery is inherently wrong?

What exactly about slavery is inherently wrong?

There's nothing inherent wrong when there's nothing inherently right.

If you have a basis for what is considered right, then we can point out what could be wrong with it. Otherwise, in a blanket vaccum, all you're doing is begging the question.

Nothing.

Do you want the edgy reasoning behind that answer or the still-edgy-but-less-provocative reasoning?

Nothing at all is wrong about it. There is no objective basis for morality.

Subjectively suffering is undesirable.

Some of those slaves undoubtedly suffered way less then your modern day wage slave.

No one is forced to take a wage, slaves didn't have homeless shelters and welfare as an option.

It causes suffering to sentient beings.
It dehumanizes humans.

Humans require too much resources to keep alive, you can only have slaves if you are rich.

Are you trying to be edgy, or are you actually retarded?

>No one is forced to take a wage
if you don't take a wage you die

Homeless shelters, welfare and Alaskan camping.

Not him but you're an idiot if you think every slave is the exact same.

Most "teachers" in Rome were actually slaves. They were Greek scholars shipped over and "forced" to educate the nobles and stuff. For that, they got to live in relatively comfy lodgings and had their food and whatnot provided to them. That is objectively a better life than living in some crack den and working at Speedway 40 hours a week.

Similarly, many of the most prized possessions in a Sultan's harem were treated like royalty because, for all intents and purposes, they were. It was no different than just being a trophy wife. Again, if you were like the top 1% of the pick.

Not every form of slavery is toiling away in a copper mine until your back breaks, or picking cotton at the end of a whip.

Obviously it's true that there were some slaves who suffered less than the average wage slave. But I don't think the guy I was responding to was trying to simply point this out.

Humans are animals, sentient or not. You may suffer from worshipping a logic-blinding abstraction known as, "humanity".

Black slaves in America were given food, clothing, housing, and healthcare in exchange for their labor. They had it much better than most of them do today, being shielded from the cruel, industrial world of modernity.

And you suffer from a self-blinding abstraction known as "logic"

Do you care if I sell your family?

They're pretty bad for the economy since you can't tax them. It only makes the people wealthy enough to purchase them more wealthy and the ones who can't with less jobs.

If I had a slave, I would not care if he/she suffered, as long as the required labor was completed. Why should I care about subjective suffering of others who are not my kin?

Yes, but I wouldn't care if your family was sold into slavery.

so basically if you don't take a wage you're stuck at the lower ranks of society

You'll feel better about yourself.

It might be for the best.

people tend to get dominating and cruel when they get to posses other people, this often makes things ugly, and triggers all sorts of decadence and violations, which generaly give it a bad name

also it means you treat humans as cattle, which is inevitably nasty as fuck and simply a bad thing in the longrun

and then you get a population of former slaves to deal with

So selflessness is innately selfish?

It is your kin.

>It's a "slavery is great because morality is a spook" but "me having to get up for a 9-5 job is objectively bad and is not a spook" episode.

If they suffer, they will overthrow you.

>muh nastiness
>muh cruelty
If there is no objective basis for morality, then slavery is no different than any other kind of exploitation.

Ever heard of the Spartans? They would round up the strongest, smartest helots and kill them. This way, the ones who revolted were weaker and easier to kill.

If you are trying to overgeneralise kin-selection to include all humans, you are making a grave mistake from a socio-biological perspective.

Not necessarily, but I wouldn't bet against it.

no, its definitely different, it has nothing to do with objective morality, its a specific thing people do to people and even if there are different variants of it from culture to culture its generaly fucked up in some serious ways

see the point is exactly that there is no objective morality bullshit or universal ethics or metaphysical value system fundamentaly underying

thats the point

keeping humans in slavery is screwed up, same ways as rape or smuggling organs or shitting in the street or acting antisocial is screwed up

loads of shit is screwed up tho and such things just sort of blend into the general grimdark that is reality

I agree that humans are animals. I support trying to reduce the suffering of non-human animals, too. When I refer to slavery dehumanizing humans, I mean that it lowers the dignity of the animal that is most capable of thought - this I see as an evil.

Time to play the usual Veeky Forums game... psycho or edgelord?

I would totally have a slave

Objectively, I'd be all for slavery, but I know how twisted people get when they have control over others.

Maybe it could be okay combined with a means of giving slaves inherent rights, like pets or children.

>No one is forced to take a wage
In practice you are. It's either that or starve.

Your brain washed if you think "wage slaves" is a form of slavery that sees more light than memery.

In slavery you don't have the option to do anything but what your master wants you to do. Wages don't limit everything you do.

Wrong. Regular slavery doesn't mean "you CAN'T leave", that's just a spook. You're perfectly free to walk away and never come back. There are consequences for doing so, of course, but the same is true of wage slavery. It's just a matter of degree.

Yes, and there's only a difference of degrees between stubbing your toe and getting your leg cut off, but people don't bitch about getting their leg cut off when they stub their toe.

If stray cats can figure it out I'm sure you can too.

Owning another human being and denying them the rights to their own body is utter evil.

You are a blithering idiot.
They had no rights of any kind.

Would you give up your life right now to be a chattel slave working from sun-up to sun-down?

Yeah, and they got their ass kicked by the Theban League and disappeared.

That's utter crap.

Slaves were hunted down if they escaped.

And if stubbing your toe and cutting it off both made your leg completely destroyed and resulted in a quick death by bloodloss then that degree of difference is irrelevant.

Yes, and you also die if you can't get food. Why is one cause of death considered "substantial" and the other isn't?