I must write a 3-5 page paper on a piece of media set before the year 1500, and critically analyze it...

I must write a 3-5 page paper on a piece of media set before the year 1500, and critically analyze it. I need two sources to go along with it, one must be a "scholarly book." What should I write about, it is due next Friday so I think a movie would be my best bet. Can you guys recommend sources along with your media?

I was considering the Passion of the Christ and Gladiator as two contenders.

Idk. Prince of Egypt?

That movie barely follows the Bible, would rather just do it on the Ten Commandments.

Just watch gladiator and for your sources use some from the bibliography on gladiators Wikipedia page or from the page on the colosseum. At least one will be from a scholarly book
This should fly without issue assuming you're still in high school

HBO Rome, psychoanalyse the meaning of TRVE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS
before 1500 book can be Jared Diamond guns germs and steel, then only talk about how flawed this is for a pre 1500 world view of history

Don't do gladiator that's uncreative

I am in college

Jared Diamond is a joke

Something set in pompeii, and have one of your sources be the graffiti

jstor is your friend

But what movie should I do?

This is American education, they probably take him at his word rather than look at the historiography

>a movie
Pick a Greek tragedy, their short, there's a lot of sources on them, and they're usually pretty direct with their meaning.
A tragedy will take less time than a movie to read, generally, and is easier to cite than a movie.

The Bacchae is fun to write about. Maybe I'm expecting too much knowledge from you though.
>3-5 page paper
Are you sure you aren't in high school?

Watch Kingdom of Heaven and analyze the historiography that is often associated with the crusades, and the dogma that surrounds them.

This.

>psychoanalyse the meaning of TRVE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRVE ROMANS

You couldn't do justice to the based FRATERVUM MILLARUM in 3-5 pages that's like thesis defense material right there.

One of the roman ideas, use the history of the decline and fall of the roman empire, its all the information you'll ever need.

Life of brian
cmon now

Do pic related (the books or mini-series or both) and pair it with Tacitus & Seutonius

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Community college

I don't know if that would fly, the paper would be too long

Ice Age starring John Leguizamo

How about the the Pompeii 2014 movie? Should be easy to analyze and you can find a million books pertaining or related to Pompeii

quo vadis

HONESTLY, Passion of the Christ is probably the easiest one.
Alexander
Troy
300 (jk)
HBO's Rome
Spartacus
Hero (w. Jet Li)
Red Cliff (the full version, not the fucking cut down one)
Beowulf
King Arthur
Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)
Robin Hood
Henry V
Mongol
Apocalypto

If I went with Passion of the Christ, what would I pick as my scholarly book? The Bible would be my main source but I doubt he would recognize that as my "scholarly book" requirement.

Not a Biblical scholar but I think Bart Ehrman is all the rage in biblical history right now.

He is a non-believer, no more an authority on biblical history than I am

Hes an academic who spent his life studying the historical context and passages of the Bible more than you ever have. Nice bait tho.

The Golden ass.

'10,000 B.C.'

Sources:
Hegel, 'The Philosophy of History'
Adorno, 'The Schema of Mass Culture'

Vikings
Should be easy to fill pages on historical accuracy
Best suggestion in the thread