Why is everything so overpriced these days?

Why is everything so overpriced these days?

I remember I could buy a nintendo console at a garage sale for 20 bucks at a garage sale 10 years ago.

But now everyone wants 100 bucks for a functioning machine. What gives?

:^)

fiat lost value to inflation dawg. dats why we like our bitcoins

>supply
>demand

Turn your PC off and just go to sleep...this is a shitcoin board

This. Essentially. Old consoles die, get lost, stay in closets pushing supply down, and now that people playing NESs, SNES, and N64s are now in their mid 20's with a good income of 40k+, they want to fucking buy everything that mom/dad wouldn't let them have.

Blame Nintento and the NES Classic Edition. Because someone told normies it's ok to pay 250 bucks for some shitty games you could play for free on any laptop from 2007

because y'oure a nigger, jews tries to screw you.

didn't you read history books ?

why would you need a nintendo?
grow up for fucks sake

Collectors.
Cars I used as paddock bombs in the 90s are now collectors items worth tens of thousands.

The internet becoming mainstream caused this

Late 90's-Early 2000's - oh yeah hmm this old thing yeah $3 sounds okay it's junk to me anyway needa make some space in the old house ahah!

- ok let me Ebay this and do a bunch of google searches to see what it really is worth and try to sell it at max market value

You can buy a Wii or a PS2 at a garage sale for $20 right now.

Also inflation.
USD inflated 18% in the last 10 years (which is actually too little for a healthy economy). Don't keep your money in fiat user.

>inflation = healthy economy
Can someone explain this to me? I have never understood how inflation is a good thing for anyone other than the fed and banks.

Be quiet goyim.

/thread

The basic idea is quite simple. There are more factors to this though but they would need a more complex economic approach.
The basic idea: If money does not inflate or even worse - run the risk of deflation, then people would not spend it. E.g. would you buy some new shoes or rather wait another few months so they are cheaper? Or the opposite: Would you buy ice cream now or save the money knowing it will be worth less soon.
Hesitation within the purchasing power is bad for businesses, retailers, service providers and eventually for every company and person working in it. It would significantly harm the economy, therefore a “healthy“ controlled inflation is the goal to keep the money flowing and people in their jobs.

This also means that when your investment pays you less than 2% p.a. you are getting jewed

its bullshit
a healthy economy would actually see deflation, because currency is backed by gold and technological progress brings more effective production methods bringing the price down

its just some nonsense the jews came up with to steal your money and now all the economists parrot it

also the idea that economies go through boom and bust cycles and crashes are inevitable...
thats also jewish tricks peddled by jew economists like Hyman Minsky.

So the only reason is to keep the consumer whore train rolling? I knew that would be a factor but not the major one.
Look at history, every generation that saw hard times and was tight with their money was successful so why promote wasting money?

Is it just a case of more people than required jobs so we need people buying a new iPhone every year to create enough jobs for everyone?

see this argument is absolute nonsense
people still need to buy shit, even if prices go down
noone would sit at home and think "hm I need new shoes but Im just never gonna buy them because if I wait 50 years I can save even more money".
its jewish lies and nothing else

a currency reflects the economic strength of its nation
with constant economic growth a currency should be worth MORE over time, not less

I think employment and profitability of businesses is very closely linked to inflation, yes.

The shoes were only a simplified example. There are other long term investments where the effect would be more significant.
Look at the history of countries with deflation: slight deflation -> gross deflation -> economy fucks up -> massive inflation -> smart people leaving the country -> everything fucked up

Also a currency should NOT be a store of value. It is meant to exchange good short term. Gold, assets, etc are meant for long term

This is actually me right now.
Wud pay $150 for a functional copy of bomberman world for PS1

you completely ignored the second part of my argument
a currency reflects the nations economy. if the economy fucks up like in your argument, then deflation would be curbed by default because the currency loses value too

u wot?
thats one of the defining functions of any currencies

A currency is supposed to be a SHORT TERM store of value to ease the exchange of goods by giving them a common trading pair.
Take a million USD and ask any financial advisor how to invest it. Noone ever will tell you to keep it as worthless paper

well duh but if you have a gold standard and your currency is not constantly inflated by central banks then its NOT worthless paper and can easily be used as long term store of value
in fact thats what tons of people did back in the day when we had real money, just put it in a bank account and collect interest. or in a deflationary period just watch the value of your money grow.

I bought $1 flip flops at Walmart yesterday.

mild inflation signposts a healthy economy insofar as legal tender is released into the system for worthwhile investments. unfortunately that is rarely the case

>Good income
>40k

Lol I got some bad news for you

depending on where you live, 40k is a decent income user
if youre frugal you can save 20k easy
thats a 50% savings rate... more than most richfags will ever accomplish

>tfw have a play room with a nes, mega drive, n64, ps1 & ps2 wired to an old big CRT

And they said being an adult sucked!

>Look at the history of countries with deflation

Can you give an example and justify why it was deflation that caused everything to be fucked up?

Because looking at modern history all I see is almost every single pro-inflation country developing crippling debt & having to constantly rip off someone (lower classes and/or lower countries) just to stay afloat.

thats the jewish way and it has been the standard for a long time now
people are so brainwashed by jew economics they cant even imagine theres a better way

in a healthy economy that serves the people (and not the other way around like in jew economics) it would be NATURAL for your money to increase in value
people work -> economy prospers -> workers reap the rewards

think about how much productivity has increased in the last decades
think about the coming automatization wave that will skyrocket productivity even more
think about all the technological progress and improvements that have been made in production of all kinds of goods

all of this should lead to increasing spending power and mor wealth for everoyne but instead the spending power has decreased over decades
people are working harder and harder for less reward. thats what inflation is all about.

it has very little to do with inflation and a lot to do with consumer confidence as a result of the last decade of bull market and its not just crap youd have seen at a garage sale
people are fat and content and think their shit is worth a fortune
one little bear market will send them scrambling as usual

People getting poorer so they have to raise prices on what they sell to make ends meet. Just look at the used car market now. People want 6k for a 2001 model with 200k miles.

thats... not how supply and demand works

There's no used car shortage to justify those prices.

I think the auto loan bubble is driving it. People are trying to avoid new car debt so there's an influx of demand for used cars.

Kinda hard to buy new cars on a McDonald's pay.