Is Veeky Forums okay with confederate monuments being taken down?

is Veeky Forums okay with confederate monuments being taken down?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=54DltnHjwHQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fuck no.
Regardless of whether, you think the confederates were justified, any history, even the bad parts, should be remembered.

No.

How would you feel if the victor disfigured the face of your fathers?

Yes. Because state funding shouldn't go to maintaining memorials to those who fought to destroy that same state.

We will rally 'round the bonnie flag, we'll rally once again

They sought to preserve what they thought the state should be.

and get btfo once again.

do they really maintain statues?

Weren't they put up during the reconstruction? As kind of a big "fuck you" to the north? Basically saying they regret nothing.

Talking about the New Orleans ones in particular

So did the Nazis, so did a lot of groups that shouldn't be commemorated. Especially by the country they directly fought. It's stupid.

No. This issue is literally what pushed me over the edge into become a racist.

youtube.com/watch?v=54DltnHjwHQ

Nope.

The south was right all along.

reactionary as fuck my man

Most of the statues, yes. They're mostly not privately owned.

Depends on the monument.
For example; there's no reason to take down a Lee monument, but every reason to take down a Bedford Forrest monument.

>claim to be 'on the right side of history'
>have to carry out your vandalism under the cover of darkness with police snipers standing by

my sides

If you're okay with this then you should have no qualms about destroying the pyramids of Egypt. They're monuments to slavery as well.

but no one is offended(?)

Yes
Take down every statue
Idol worshipers BTFO

They're still being remembered, they're just not being put up in government buildings with public funding. Like when everyone got assblasted a while back about the Jefferson Davis statue at the University of Texas being moved, they kept treating it like it was censoring history, when it was literally the opposite: the statue was moved to a museum.

No one (in the South) is offended by CSA statues and the ones that were offended only got offended around the time of Roof, before promptly forgetting about it again.

This whole thread is about 2 years too late.

But the Pyramids were built by paid professionals, not slaves.

What did you mean by this?

>le pyramids were built by slaves meme

You're doing the work of isis, yank

this. The were built by aliens

this.

Liberals are the enemy of history.

I dont think its alright. Probably because Im a historian at heart. And feel people need to be reminded of both good and bad times. I almost cried when I saw Isis taking down statues of deities...the remains of babylon. To an extent I worship the native american, spanish, the arab and african slave heroes. Even though I know all those sides waged genocidal wars on the next. Sure it was evil. But it is a part of who we are, where we came from and how long we've travelled.

Russians still honour soldiers in the Red Army, an army that destroyed Russia to a far greater extent than the CSA 'destroyed' the Union. So sure.

Except the Red Army also literally saved Russia from extermination, what did the CSA do except get a million people killed pointlessly?

Red Army actually won the Civil War though.

>Implying the majority of the pyramids manual labor wasn't slavery or comparable servitude
Paid professionals were involved.

>is Veeky Forums okay with confederate monuments being taken down?
Taken from the original location and being moved to a museum.

> In 1891, as the Democratic legislature passed laws that disenfranchised most blacks,[9] the city government erected the Liberty Monument to "commemorate the uprising" of 1874, in the city.[4] The monument was prominently placed in the neutral ground (median) near the foot of Canal Street. In 1932, inscriptions were added to the monument which attested to the battle's role in establishing white supremacy.[4]

>On July 16, 1993, the New Orleans City Council voted 6 to 1, to declare the monument a nuisance. It was taken to a warehouse, with the intention to move it to an indoor museum.[11] They eventually allowed the monument to be installed at a less prominent location, a short distance off Canal Street (at the river end of Iberville Street) between the One Canal Place parking garage and a floodwall.[12]

>White supremacist David Duke cited the monument as a symbol of "white pride" and, in 2004, tried to stage a rally by it. The monument is frequently vandalized, the subject of anti-racist and anti-Nazi graffiti.

Come on. I hate the destruction of history, but this monument in particular has clearly been causing trouble being in a public place for quite some time now and frankly I can see why they'd want to put it somewhere else.

As long as no actual records or information is deleted and no scuplture or monument is actually destroyed, I see no issue with ending the celebration of such figures if the society that holds them thinks it necessary, perhaps by moving the works out of public areas.

To destroy them is to destroy art, and that is something I will never, ever find permissible, for historic reasons, for artistic reasons, for basic human decency reasons.

I shouldn't even have to argue against the destruction of records/information.

No.

This

Defacing the statues is unacceptable. Removing them from public areas and ceasing the use of public funds for their maintenance is fine, and maybe even desirable for the good of the works.

Nothing is wrong with White pride. It seems antifa types were causing problems as always.

And technically public funds will still be used of maintenance and preservation, just in a different setting.

Do you think said pride is worth exposing the art to destruction? Are you willing to sacrifice it to make a stand on this hill?

Serious question. It holds no significance for me outside of being a piece of art, and for that reason I want it put some place that it's out of harm's way. I'm curious about your take on it.

I think the state should protect that public monument in the same way they'd protect any. They wouldn't let the statue of liberty get covered in graffiti.

I mean, if it's in a publicly funded museum. But fair point.

Either way it's safer there, in a better context to appreciate it, and it no longer serves as a state-approved celebration of the person in question so it ceases to be controversial as far as I can see.

the statue of liberty isn't like just any monument
If I want to go deface a statue of the hiker, I can, who's even gonna give a shit?
I don't of course, it's a nice little statue.

The Statue of Liberty is kind of a poor comparison for a couple of reasons in my view. The importance of it is significant enough to justify a stronger and more permanent police presence, moving it to a museum would be functionally impossible, and no one really objects to the celebration of what it represents as far as I'm aware.

I agree that if something is seen as a public monument, it should be protected. I don't have the numbers, and I don't really know the situation, but if the community that houses the statue does not--as a whole--want to celebrate it, it should be moved.

And again, as far as my own personal, selfish desires go, I would much prefer to have it moved out of harms way.

This. Lauren whatsherface is just making a big deal out of nothing and spins it to fit her agenda.

>White supremacist David Duke cited the monument as a symbol of "white pride" and, in 2004, tried to stage a rally by it.
4D chess

it's like the final straw for her
>"g-guys i'm totally not a white supremacist tho!!"

It reminds me of that South Park episode about changing the town flag, where Jimbo advised the KKK to protest in FAVOR of changing the racist flag, because then everyone else have to vote to keep it just to not be on the same side as them.

I'm triggered by people vandalizing memorials to CSA soldiers, but if the statues are just being placed in museums then its okay.

Supported and was supported by the Injuns.

wtf I hate redskins now