Why did Christianity demonise snakes?

Why did Christianity demonise snakes?
Was it because the Babylonians venerated snakes and the Christians were trying to troll them?

And unrelated: what's the earliest serpentine ancestor of humans? Some type of amphibian eel?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve_cylinder_seal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution
youtube.com/watch?v=UHBRMEs7muM
youtu.be/Zm-CD72_txs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why did Christianity demonise snakes?

Christians worship a dark power under the guise of benevolence.

The snake and the dragon have always been representative of the sacred.

Not so for christians, whom oppose all that is sacred.

When you are baptized, under the guise of false smiles you are being initiated into demon worship and put into the hands of a demon lord. It puts you into the hands of darkness and demon posession is a very serious possiblity right at baptism.

To put it right into perspective, imagine for a second that the christian worldview were correct, well, baptism would be like initiating your child in a black mass, with a black baptism in the name of all demons and offering up his life to darkness, desecrating him to darkness.

So by being a Christian, I'm in cahoots with and under the care of demons (disguised as angels)?

Your ridiculous meme just makes Christianity sound cooler.

Not a meme, try doing a miracle like jesus promised you.

Yeah you can't and you think you're cool for being played.

Dude, Jesus didn't say we could do miracles.

HE could, as he was the son of God.

Sure, humans can do witchcraft, but at no point did Jesus say we could do miracles ourselves. That's blasphemous.

>Dude, Jesus didn't say we could do miracles.

"In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will be made well.”

"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

What if I could do miracles but didn't because I know what type of world we'd live in if everyone went around trying to imitate them?

You would have to eat your words.

The works Christ wants us to do is serve one another, treat as you'd like to be treated, and try not to sin. Not walk on water. That benefits nobody anymore.

Snake is a symbol of the Christ.

I know what you're referring to.

Christ wasn't born yet, and Moses used what was familiar to the Hebrews.

They had the snake meme too

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_and_Eve_cylinder_seal

>What if I could

I know you can't because I have a name that has power to it and it isn't jesus.

Moses had a rod that turned into a snake, and he made a bronze snake on a pole that pre signified the cross

See, you're a scared faggot. You don't even know what I can or can't do but you've instantly reverted into a denialist mode and thrown up a lil strawman for good measure.

You haven't got shit. Stop inciting people to do miracles, if the thought of it terrifies you.

Seek Christ desu.

>scared
of?
>No, I can do a miracle
By all means do it

See, I am not scared of a roleplayer over the internet because unlike you, I know a name that has power.

>you're inciting me

Ah, here's the excuse so the miracle is never seen.

I was enticing you because I was... "scared" even tough I know the actual real name of God and thus am better equiped than you to go to heaven.

They have both male and female sex organs. That’s why somebody you don’t trust you call a snake. How can you trust a guy who can literally go fuck themselves?

>knowing the name of God makes you equipped to go to heaven

Jesus Christ, there's no hope for you. Hurr durr yalldaboth hurr durr salashaska hurr durr fuck off.

There is no power in names unless it's a demon. If you're involved with demons, you have no actual miracle ability and are being lied to/used. Good luck with that, I can see from a snapshot that your beliefs are insane and ill-informed.

Now this is interesting

>There is no power in names

The name Abraxas heals me.

>demon

That would be jesus and his father.

>your beliefs are insane

My beliefs conform with reality, I believe that a name that heals me is holy because it heals me.

You believe a bunch of lies that promise power (jesus) and the power is nowhere to be seen because you worship a demon.

Meanwhile all the snake worshipers were practicing human sacrifice all over the world. In every snake venerating culture you had a good/ priest king head of a priestly class which excercized absolute power and tyranny over the masses who worshipped at their feet.

All of the neopagan writers who advocate the return of the old snake/ sun god cults subtly endorse all of this, except perhaps the moron Graham Handcock. The elites who have kept these cults alive in their secret society eating people and raping children throughout history. This is all documented.

In the war to come, God and his army of angels and saints will wipe out you Satan and Self worshiping heathens for good.

>barely 20 posts and christfags & /x/tards have already shit up the threat
why are/his/ mods so fucking shit?

The only child rapists I know preach jesus in christian churches, as well as murder innocents in inquisitorial movements and witch hunts.

What you claim is merely a claim and a shit-talk. Meanwhile the raping of children and the murdering done by your church is WELL DOCCUMENTED.

>abraxas

Literally a demon.

So you don't even know the real name of God. Fascinating t b h.

I've got one last question for you: Were you already a contrarian when you found Gnosticism, or did it develop after?

You can find the pedophiles and sex offenders in your area by searching online.

See how many of them are/look like good Christians to you.

What you claim is merely a claim and shit-talk.

>Literally a demon.

Everything is a demon to your sect of lunatics

Abraxas is the higher God and his name has power, which cannot be said about your silly jesus.

>I have a question for you

Ah yes, I practiced christianity in the past and it was killing me on the inside, I was losing emotions, ability to feel fun and so on.

Not what you asked, but a truth that you should comfront.

But it is to be expected, after all, none of you fags touch the commandments with a 100 feet pole because you know they are deadly.

Criminal statistics demonstrates that a public school teacher is 100x more likely to rape a child than a Catholic Priest, who match the average rate in the wider public. The church only got this problem after the modernists and gays started infiltrating the seminaries in the last century. The seminaries had stopped rooting them out due to fear of public reprisal, due to the secular "tolerant" public mood.

You are possessed of the devil.

>You believe a bunch of lies that promise power (jesus) and the power is nowhere to be seen because you worship a demon.

Extremely ironic because Christianity doesn't promise power, but Gnosticism does, miracleboy.

Let's look at famous Gnostics to see how that power is working... OH SHIT TOO POWAH4ME

The Inquisition killed on average 3 people per year. If Jesus offers no power, how were 1000 conquistadors, with shitty muskets and mostly with swords, able to conquer the snake venerating Aztec empire who had 10's of millions of people. Where were the Aztecs "real" powers.

>Everything is a demon to your sect of lunatics

Didn't you just call the Christian God and Jesus, demons? You're the most ironic shitposter to ever fall onto Veeky Forums.

Abraxas is a demon and tells you whatever it is you want to hear.
The Commandments are from God.

Which one is scarier? Which one holds more power? Which one is actually trying to make the world a better place for all humanity?

Yo why that skeezer so close to that guys dick.

Side note.

Did anyone have a fascination with encyclopedias when they were young. Like I remember being interested in all the cross section diagrams of the human anatomy.

Anyways I remember seeing a lot of small dicks like that in encyclopedias.

Christianity promises being able to do miracles, which none of you can do.

And as I said, you're very clear hypocrites and actors since none of you can actually spend 4 seconds living following those commandments you preach.

Speak for yourself, weakling, I haven't broken a single commandment in the past 24 hours.

How old are you? Your "Christianity promises miracles" line has already been refuted.

>ignores everyone's posts
>goes back to tired old lines
>posts a smugface

Ok, time to kys.

If you have faith, Abraxas will revive you with magixal powah of mriakles!

I mean Christ did promise that signs and wonders would be done in his name (not to be confused with a personal promise to you too so miracles whenever you want). It seems such miracles have been done, or at least are as well documented as anything in history.

By the time Christianity came on the scene, Babylon was long gone. Perhaps you mean early Judaism?

In any case, I much prefer the Gnostic re-interpretation of the allegory; the Serpent as the good guy attempting to set humanity free to realize their Divine nature. Why shouldn't we have taken a bite?

In Kundalini Yoga, spiritual enlightenment happens when you unlock your "coiled Serpent" in the base of your spine through deep meditation.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini

>And unrelated: what's the earliest serpentine ancestor of humans? Some type of amphibian eel?

Not sure, check here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

>I haven't broken a single commandment in the past 24 hours

You haven't murdered or stolen in 24 hours and it is an achievement?

I remember from a Peterson lecture that he explains it as an inherent fear for snakes which goes back forever. Snakes would have coevolved with us and are in a way our arch enemies.

Why is the snake the bad guy again?
He gave humans the ability to know right from wrong.

dug up some Gnostic stuff

>A Gnostic treatise, The Testimony of Truth, tells a different story. While repeating the words of the orthodox version of Genesis, the Gnostic source states that "the serpent was wiser than all the animals that were in Paradise." After extolling the wisdom of the serpent, the treatise casts serious aspersions on the creator: "What sort is he then, this God?" Then come some of the answers to the rhetorical question. The motive of the creator in punishing Adam was envy, for the creator envied Adam, who by eating the fruit would acquire knowledge (gnosis). Neither did the creator seem quite omniscient when he asked of Adam: "Where are you?" The creator has shown himself repeatedly to be "an envious slanderer," a jealous God, who inflicts cruel punishments on those who transgress his capricious orders and commandments. The treatise comments: "But these are the things he said (and did) to those who believe in him and serve him." The implication clearly presents itself that with a God like this, one needs no enemies.

>Another treatise, The Hypostasis of the Archons, informs us that not only was Eve the emissary of the divine Sophia, but the serpent was similarly inspired by the same supernal wisdom. Sophia mystically entered the serpent, who thereby acquired the title of instructor. The instructor then taught Adam and Eve about their source, informing them that they were of high and holy origin and not mere slaves of the creator deity.

>The orthodox interpreters, both Jewish and Christian, tend to emphasize the distinction between the infinite creator and his finite creatures. Humans and animals are on earth, while God is in heaven, and never the two will meet. The orthodox have held, with Martin Buber, that the human's relationship to God is always "I and Thou." In the Gnostic position one can discern a keynote that is reminiscent of the attitude of certain other religions, notably Hinduism, which rather declares: "I am Thou."

>mfw this thread

youtube.com/watch?v=UHBRMEs7muM

>muh contranianism
Not an arguement desu

And then the lord made light and he saw that it was good.

Question: if your god is omniscient, how come he never knew if light was good until he saw it?

"When you lift up the Son of Man, I will draw all unto myself."
"Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up."
"You will do greater works than me."
"Glorify me now Father, with the Glory we shared before the world began."

Jesus Christ, sacrificed himself to purify the will of God, which had become corrupted due to the creation of evil for which he took responsibility for. For the sacrifice to be complete, Jesus Christ must truly be dead without aid of the Father. You see then, the true purpose of mankind, is to become One with the Will of God (Or the Logos), so that using their Oneness with the Father, are able to resurrect Jesus from the dead.

The image of the serpent is holy.

They picked it up from Zoroastrianism, or rather the Jews did from Zoroastrianism. Jews also happen to pick up all powerful monotheistic god, dualistic nature of the war between cosmic good and evil, creation, judgement day, end of the world, etc

You'll have to ask that question to the Zoroastrianism. The evil serpent myth appears throughout the Zoroastrian literatures. The evil serpent comes under the name of Azi Dahak, the great/foreign snake. That snake is supposed to be birthed by Angra Mainyu, the evil spirit. Angra Mainyu is antithesis to their all powerful creator God Ahura Mazda.

"Why did Christianity demonize _____?"

"Was it because ______ worshipped _____?"

The answer is always yes.

He made a light so good even he was like "damn, that's some good light. I should make some shit for it to illuminate just so I can watch it bounce off of stuff."

youtu.be/Zm-CD72_txs

Same with Ravens in northern Europe. For pagans they were a symbol of wisdom (Odins two ravens being named Memory and Thought), while for christians they were a symbol of death and were servants of the devil.

Where did Zoros get the ideas from? The Vedas?

So nothing is really pagan? Everything is kosher?

>why did Christians choose to demonise things
Because God cast them from Eden

>The Vedas
You're on the right track but wrong conclusion.

Both Hindu Vedas and Zoros have crossed path with each other in the past. Its plainly obvious with their rendition of Devas/Daevas vs Ashura/Ahura.

In Zoroastrianism, Daevas are the bad guys and Ahuras, the good guys. In Hindu vedas, this is opposite. Devas are the good guys and Ashuras are the bad warlike people.

While contemporary views of Snakes is seen in positive light, I think in the past, or atleast very distant past, Hindus saw snakes as a negative thing too. However later on the snakes become a positive change for Hindus as it protects their god etc.

So its probably a proto-indo-european divergence that led to the split off between Indians and the Persians

Very interesting, especially the swapped Deva/Daeva thing.

I don't know if I'm more confused or less.

Out if Mark

He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

This; holy shit.

>Durr, I have my own pet demon that I worship
>You're going to hell dood, the demon lies, leave the dark side you sith

What the living fuck? Bunch of fucking trolls...

well, those are the easy ones

He gave humans the ability to do evil to one another and to ourselves. To inflict needless suffering on others

Yeah, he talks about how are visual system is literally optimised to see colour and detect the eternal snake in the grass

>The name Abraxas heals me.
Nigga that's a demon

God is the one who let him do that, God knew he would do it.

My understanding of it is that God left the playing field wide open to both good and evil by imparting free will. God could've withheld free will and "forced" us to be good all the time, but hey then his creation would be much shittier. So instead we have to go back to God (through his Son, I guess) and align our wills with what we're really intended for, not for the evil that whispers words of loneliness and fear in our ears

I don't think that's literal, user.

>Abraxas

In my self righteous suicide
I, cry, when angels deserve to die

FATHER FATHER FATHER FATHER

Why have you forsaken me?
In your eyes forsaken me
In your thoughts forsaken me
In your heart forsaken me, oh

TRUUUUUUUUST IIIIIIIIIIIN MY SELF RIGHTEOUS SUICIIIIIIIDEE

IIIIII CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHEN ANGELS DESERVE TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE

You literally seem to have little idea of what you're talking about.

>say the first 4 lines
>proceed to say christians are demon worshipers

Also you should study more of this serpent symbology, because it seems you don't fully grasp it, besides lay off the joy of satan stuff based on false assumption and straight out ignorance.

>Yeah you can't and you think you're cool for being played.

As a person who experienced God a few times I've got to say that you are in fact wrong. Seems like people who prioritize their willful and blissful ignorance and emotion have had quite an effect on you, but okay. Lastly let me guess Krishnaism and Zoroastrianism aren't ebil but (((Xtianity))) is for.... some reason? Anyways please don't respond if you aren't up to mature discussion and critical thought.

>Veeky Forums - Theology & Scripture

100% right

he also talks about how the snake represents chaos. The snake causes us to freeze and question our current state. Furthermore the idea in the story that the snake gives humans the ability to think and have knowledge is also something Peterson talks about. He mentions how it is out of chaos that one gains sight, which one then uses to resurrect the past. By "going down into chaos" one faces their fears and also learns more about themselves and their structure. Thus by encountering the snake (chaos) adam and eve receive knowledge and the ability "to see"