Veeky Forumslit/ thread

Comfy af edition

It's another fucking reading thread.

What the hell do you want to read about Veeky Forums? Any books that you would recommend?

THREAD THEME

youtube.com/watch?v=dSCwoYcp0IY

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snorri_Sturluson
pastebin.com/kiEmVw3g
pastebin.com/dhSNeaeC
pastebin.com/m96zMip0
pastebin.com/bCjBEu50
pastebin.com/T1uBVLQH
pastebin.com/igaqGuFA
pastebin.com/GuATVPtM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've got a opic that I want to learn about

>anything on Norway or Norwegian history

Can anyone rec something to do with French Algeria or the Algerian War?

Also nice music OP

bimp

Should I order pic related or there is something more definitive about first world war?

Get A World Undone.

thats the first part of his trilogy. it all depends on wheter you want a one volume work on the subject. strachan's books though are considered magisterial pretty much

Ahh... Kos... Or some say... Kosm.
Do you hear our prayers?

OC for anyone looking to read Thucydides History of the Peloponneiane War

Considering I usually only ever hear the exact opposite, and that I'm reading through the Landmark Herodotus right now and enjoying it, why would you say Penguin is better?

Curious

don't get me wrong landmark has better/more maps but it doesn't have nearly enough footnotes as penguin/barnes and noble and whatever footnotes it does have very frequently are only map footnotes for places/geographic areas one should already be familiar with past a certain part in the book, whereas all of penguins many footnotes are relevant info and insight

Plus the summaries for every paragraph are a bit over the top imho, but I guess landmark would be better for someone who has little to no knowledge of ancient greece, but if you have a basic to decent knowledge I would totally recommend the penguin version

A Savage War of Peace

'Preciate it. I'll get the Penguin too, and perhaps just alternate throughout books I-IX to see what works

many thanks

Any recommendations for books about South American wars and Revolutions?

Also Stalingrad has to be one of my favorite WW2 books. Based entirely on documents that were taken.

p-pls respond

Reading "The Coldest Winter", it makes MacArthur look like a retard.

There was a time—we see it in the marvellous dawn of Hellenic life—when history was distinguished neither from poetry, from mythology, nor from the first dim beginnings of science...No one would now dream of combining the history of the Trojan War with a poem on the wrath of Achilles...History can never be truthfully presented if the presentation is purely emotional...The vision of the great historian must be both wide and lofty. But it must be sane, clear, and based on full knowledge of the facts and of their interrelations...The imaginative power demanded for a great historian is different from that demanded for a great poet...The greatest literary historian must of necessity be a master of the science of history, a man who has at his finger-tips all the accumulated facts from the treasure-houses of the dead past. But he must also possess the power to marshal what is dead so that before our eyes it lives again.

>South American wars and Revolutions
what era are you interested in? a lot of wars and revolution have been fought consistently in the last two hundred years there

Currently going through this.

Almost finished with this. It's a fucking masterpiece. Corneliu was too pure for this world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snorri_Sturluson

sorry don't know what time period you're looking for
Snorre's books are one of the most important sources to Norwegian history, they're a pretty dry read though

bump

a good read though it has aged so much that it is as much in the vein of literature as it is history, kind of like gibbons work. though maybe his is more literature than it is history at this point in time.

currently going through pic related myself. it is a real dense read and taylor definitely has a bone to pick with the habsburg, but the book is a fascinating read nonetheless. really bizarre how the empire managed to continue living despite itself and how despite rising nationalism, most within the empire were not prepared or willing to see it go away.

I'm looking for good books on the Phoenicians and Carthage (English or Spanish). I've made a list of most of the books I could find, but there are a lot so want to avoid picking meh ones. I do have some background already, so not looking for starter books unless they are rather great. Specialized books are welcome.

Books I've read on the topic have included:
Carthage Must Be Destroyed
Ghosts of Cannae
The Phoenicians (Pelican Publishing old little book)
Plutarch and Livy' accounts
Cartago: Una Ciudad Dos Leyendas
Carthage: A History Sergel Lancel

What's wrong and landmark books? I've found them pretty comfy. Is it just Penguin is better? Not necessarily they are bad?

What period specifically? Are you wanting Pre-viking, Viking, after, etc?

Anyone into Ghosh?

have you seen pic related?

I have not, thanks user

Thanks. I'm looking for either stuff from the Viking Age, or 20th century.

Don't we have a pastebin for these kinds of threads?

See

yeah there's the jonstond2 pastebin but these threads are fun and maintain a semblance of a literary culture here. it also serves as a clearinghouse for anons curious to get into history and who want personalized recommendations from the anons here

The best I can help with is more towards the Viking era and Anglo-Saxons. Three good general resources are:

The Viking World by Brink Stefan
The Icelandic Sagas
A History of the Vikings by Gwyn Jones

I never read anything specialized on Norway specifically, but I have no doubt there is plenty

Also check out academia.edu they usually have some good papers and sometimes books on rather niche topics.

Thanks

WE SHALL NOT ABANDON THE DREAM

Good thing I saw this in the catalogue, I would have made my own thread.

Any recommendations on the Aztecs?

Bump for this

post conquest aztecs
pastebin.com/kiEmVw3g
conquest of mexico
pastebin.com/dhSNeaeC
art of the aztec empire (has general works in the beginning of the blbiography)
pastebin.com/m96zMip0

The evangelical scholar that made his audience go nuts over actual data

The Chilean Civil War would be a nice start. That sounds like a wild time.

i'm looking for you but it seems like i can only find spanish works on the subject. i'll see if i can find a general history that would probably touch on the civil wars but not cover them exclusively

Thank you based lad

here's 5 english works i've found on 19th century chilean army

I would really like a comprehensive work on the Polynesians, particularly focused on the era of their unprecedented sailing exploration phase. Ideally it would include some of the factors pushing them out of wherever they occupied before, and the factors pulling them out into the great unknown.

What is Ghosh?

any good reads on Cardinal Richelieu?

bump

bump

ctrl f richelieu in any of these
pastebin.com/bCjBEu50
pastebin.com/T1uBVLQH
pastebin.com/igaqGuFA

Give me something on Ancient China

Andrew Couper - Sailors and Traders: A Maritime History of the Pacific Peoples
K.R. Howe (ed.) - Vaka Moana, Voyages of the Ancestors: The Discovery and Settlement of the Pacific

read anything and everything you can get on Alexander the Great

Recommendations:

>The Landmark Arrian: Campaigns of Alexander
>Parallel Lives
>The Nature of Alexander/Alexander Trilogy
>Ghost on the Throne
>Alexander Romance

god bless you man

pastebin.com/GuATVPtM
ctrl f pre-han

If you're interested in the history of the Triads and Chinese secret societies in general, "The Dragon Syndicates" by Martin Booth is really good.

How accurate is pic related?