Is killing, even in self-defense, a sin? Most religions regard murder as wrong...

Is killing, even in self-defense, a sin? Most religions regard murder as wrong, but does this apply to all circumstances?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_kill
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God told the Israelites to go to war with the Canaanites that were occupying the Holy Land, so killing for a good cause isn't a sin in the Abrahamic religions at least.

In the Orthodox Christian tradition at least, killing, even in self defense, is a sin afaik. So that isn't a universal truth.

>Is killing, even in self-defense, a sin?

KILLING FOR A NOBLE PURPOSE, EITHER IN RETALIATION, OR IN PREEMPTIVE ACTION, IS NOT A "SIN".

>God told the Israelites...

YOU MEAN "YHWH", OR "SATAN", NOT "GOD".

>... to go to war with the Canaanites that were occupying the Holy Land...

NO; YHWH/SATAN ORDERED THE JEWS TO GENOCIDE THE CANAANITES, ALONG WITH ALL THEIR ANIMALS, NOT TO GO TO WAR WITH THEM, AND NOT BECAUSE THEY WERE OCCUPYING "THE HOLY LAND", BUT BECAUSE THE LAND COMPRISED BY CANAAN WAS A GEOGRAPHICALLY STRATEGIC ZONE.

>... so killing for a good cause isn't a sin in the Abrahamic religions at least.

HOW WAS THE GENOCIDE OF THE CANAANITES A "GOOD CAUSE", ACCORDING TO YOU?

IF BY "GOOD CAUSE" YOU MEAN A PURPOSE EXPEDIENT FOR JEWS, AND IF BY "ABRAHAMIC RELIGIONS" YOU MEAN "JUDAISM", OR "JEWRY", OR "ZIONISM", THEN YOUR STATEMENT WOULD MAKE SENSE.

Stop killing people.

?

Make me

Thats what judgement day is for

I won't violate your autonomy, but I really implore you to stop.

God killed millions tho.

*unsheathes .45*

Read Tolstoy

yall dumb. Christians acknowledge killing is a sin, but they ask for forgiveness all the time, or do the whole Catholic confession thing they get forgiven. Warriors rationalize their duty in the same way the Roman soldier that sent for jesus did when he behaved with humility and said that he has sinned but was merely following orders of authority and knew in his heart it was sin. Jesus said he had better faith than anyone he had met.

t. ex-christian

Murder is a sin, but killing is not

if you can avoid it then you should, but if you need to its okay.

In Christianity killing is always a sin.

inb4 gun toting american """christians""" start sperging out

Would rather depend on the religion. There's a few that universally condemn killing (a few of which are Christian offshoots), but not a lot. Some religions have more restrictions than others.

In most Christian denominations the sin only pertains to murder, with a few exceptions that vary between denominations (including God telling you to do it, directly or indirectly.)

Extra-religiously, I suppose the most you could say is that every form of killing certain has some sort of psychological impact on the killer.

Yes. He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.

You of course can kill people, but then don't complain when people kill you

Ya'll need to read your Bible more. Reading it with translation notes would help ya as well.

(Protip: "Thou shalt not kill." - "kill" ain't the word.)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_shalt_not_kill

Irrelevant, it breaks the Golden Rule.

The stuff you talk about is necessary, not good. This is why Jesus didn't lash out in revenge, even when his enemies persecuted and killed him.

Read, your, fucking, Bible.

>Jesus didn't lash out
>Jesus literally lashing out

You first.

Also, tell me about all the defensive wars you've taken part of. Then do me a favor and read James, it talks about armchair generals like you

>what is Matthew 26:51-54

Killing in self defense is only a sin if the killing could have been consciously avoid and a choice to kill was made. Otherwise its on par with an accidental death, with the level of responsibility dependent on how much control over the situation that lead up to the killing.

Do preemptive strikes count as "defensive"?

Show me your theology degree. (Although I suppose mine wouldn't count, since it's from America.)

My theology degree? Why the hell does that matter whether I have a theology degree?

Are you not allowed to sell stuff on eBay before you have an economics degree either?

>Corinthians 9:7
>Corinthians 10:4
>Timothy 1:18
>Timothy 2:3
>Ephesians 6

...and unless you're a Cathar:
>Joshua 1:6
>Joshua 5:14
>Samuel 3:1
>Samuel 5:23–25
>...and good ol' Ecclesiastes 3:8

You worthless fucking retards I wonder how you even feed yourselves.

>killing is a sin
Not it's not, murder is, killing is not, however if you take it beyond self defence then that is wrong

>pre emptive strike
>pre emptive war is like commuting suicide to avoid being killed -Otto von bismarck

>Are you not allowed to sell stuff on eBay before you have an economics degree either?
Buying stuff on eBay does not make you an expert in economics.