What made Poland such a formidable nation pre WWII...

What made Poland such a formidable nation pre WWII? There's plenty of examples of them winning battles while severely outnumbered so why is that? Was their cavalry just that good? Or was it something else?

i can just as well go back and cherry pick as many defeats of poland throughout history. your pic is meaningless

God's help

But seriously speaking, Poland took the best elements of western European culture and eastern orthodox culture. It made Poland much earlier enlightened country. For example, Black plauge of 1347 hadn't reached Poland because Poles hadn't killed cats - assumed devil agents - as pope ordered, thus cats eliminated rats spreading deseases In that period Poland also accepted thousand of Jewish refugees escaping persecutions in the west. That's why Poland developed high economy - because of Jewish banksters. (Also because of rich grain fields).

Of course you could but that doesn't invalidate the pic. I want to know why those battles, and the many more that aren't shown, actually happened to see if there's a trend either with Poland or with their enemies.

theyre bloodthirsty ruthless mongoloid slavs who masquerade as Europeans

killing is natural for them

Polish hussars

But were they really that effective? I know that they were a very specialized heavy cavalry but I assumed that they were meme warriors who seemed more effective than they actually were.

That's actually really interesting. I knew they avoided the plague but I thought it was due to isolationism and not cats. But how did this translate into a military that is famous for winning battles while heavily outnumbered?

>I assumed that they were meme warriors

You assumed rightly. In reality Poland just had a strong martial tradition. For example, Polish consultants were indispensable in helping America win its war for independence, teaching everything from tactics to discipline to fortifications.

Isolating the borders influenced Poland's survival more to be honest. Cat anecdote just shows how developed was Polish thought.

On the army - Poland was back then a vast country, and so it bordered many various neighbours who fought different styles. Poles not only developed tactits to fight each of them - they evolved their army taking experience of fighting these various opponents and added foreign influences, making them better at the same time.
Winged Hussars were much more evolved, heavier version of light Hungarian hussars, introduced by a Hungarian king of Poland - Stephen Bathory
There was also another kind of heavy cavalary - Pancerni, based on Mongol/Tatar heavy riders
Infantry had Swedish and German influences.
But let us remember spirit of a soldier also counts. Polish nobility developed its own culture which promoted battle courage, fight against foreigners and religiosity. At the same time it also promoted accepting Ottoman and southern infuences.

Bump

Polish are a violent brutish people

>That's why Poland developed high economy
It was pretty backwards actually

Daily reminder that Lithuanians should rule over the lesser Poles.

That's actually really amazing. I never thought about how their neighbors influenced their military. Thanks for the info, my guy

Kircholm, Lubieszów and Kłuszyn battles prove they could reliably take on overwhelming odds and win
poland had no ''martial tradition''

>killing enemies is bad hehe xD slavs so shit altough when germanics attack some tribes for no reason then they are fierce warriors ;)

kill yourself
>ruthless
if Poles were ruthless Prussia wouldn't be a thing

[loses Danzig and lets Poles fly their flag in Berlin]

>Lithuania
literally who

Poland's economy was shit-tier by the Thirty Years war. Before that, it developed rapidly because of Ostseidlung (the reason Prussia=slav posters are wrong), where skilled Germans filled western towns, and because of their adoption of Lubeck city rights. It also didn't hurt being the primary caravan path for the final northerly tributaries of the Silk Road to Europe.
The success of Poland in the Renaissance and late Medieval Era was only natural.

Bump

Le bump Xd

daily reminder that corrupted Lithuanian magnats shoudn't have political rights

They won battles, lost wars

Obviously I'm talking about period from 17th century onwards you dummy

> pre WWII
You mean pre-1700? Because the only remotely "formidable" thing they did since was stopping Red Army in 1920, and that was more thanks to Stalin being retarded.

>Radziwiłł allied with Swedes against rightful King in the quest of personal power over a reduced part of Lithuania
yeah, no.

I want to make a image similar to this. I already have the battle image snap shots. How do I combine them?

nobles preferred to defend territory themselves so that the serfs would stay in fields

generations of good generals spawned from nobility before they became degenerate oligarchy in 18 century
grandfather of sobieski was guy who conquered moscow and died in battle against turks while being 70 year old because he refused to retreat in order to give fortress some time to prepare for siege
żółkiewski paid 3000 soldiers from his own pocket to defeat 10000+ swedes led by swedish king etc
generally speaking Poland had terribly small stationary army all the time so they had to make sure that they are at least disciplined

Usually in paint.

>it developed rapidly because of Ostseidlung