Can you tell me about the Sikh's?

I was talking about it with a coworker who said the Sikh people were originally a peaceful group of people that got militarized by rampant Muslim and Hindu oppression. Also some random shit about a person called "Kalistun" which I didn't really get.

I thought Sikhism was under the wide Hindu umbrella so I'm not surprised about them being peaceful and muslims are muslims but why did Hindu's oppress them?

Because people suck. It's the same wherever you go

Sikh does have pretty fascinating theology. It is probably only religion where religion demands equal rights for women. Very cohesive faith, model miniority in the UK.

Their Gurus were tortured to death by Muslims, because they refused to convert. So yeah, Sikhs do not really like Islam.

Probably best warriors India ever produced though, even today they are elite part of Indian army.

The Hindus didn't persecute us

Sikhism was partially a response to Islam being Islam

I bet your coworker was a libtard who wanted to prove "all religions are equally bad"

hindu nuffin

>Probably best warriors India ever produced though, even today they are elite part of Indian army.
I meant to ask this too. What made them so good? I mean they kicked the shit out of the Rajputs, Marathas and Afghans, all of whom had centuries of warfare experience. They were also vastly outnumbered a lot of the time too.

You Sikh?

I have been told by various leftists that Muslims were paragons of tolerance during their rule in India and that we should seek to be like them more. When Islamic genocides of Sikhs and Hindus are mentioned, their reaction is to scream 'Hindu nationalist lies'.

Both tragic and amusing.

I kek'd

But yeah, Sikhism is a dharmic faith too. We have ridden to the aid of Hindus and Buddhists and other religions when they were in danger from Muslim scum. We even believe in Hindu saints.

Islam (like almost all Semitic slave religions) caused no end of grief and anguish.

Yeah cunt, well more like agnostic believer these days but still,

It's more monotheistic than Christianity

Sikhs were oppressed by Islamic Mughal rulers, like Hindus. But while Sikhism grew out of Hindu worldview and while it also took some slight Islamic influence, I definitely would not say it falls under either this umbrella or that of Hindu religion. It's directly monotheistic without any of the variety of beliefs about gods seen in Hinduism. It's non-idolatrous and doesn't have precept of ahimsa.

Modern Sikh-Hindu problems relate to nationalism as much as anything. The modern Indian state is broadly Hindu-nationalistic in its basis. Sikhs predominate in Punjab province, the Golden Temple of the Sikhs is to be found there, and a Punjabi-Sikh independence movement has existed throughout the history of modern India. In the 80s this movement took to arming itself and headquartered in the Golden Temple. The govt didn't like that and was worried it would lead to war with Pakistan, and sent troops to storm the temple. Lots of people died, and the Indian PM was killed by her Sikh bodyguard in revenge. This was followed by pogroms against Sikhs, Sikhs blew up an Air India plane, etc. Violence did not die down till the 90s though separatist sentiment still exists.

ohho

From my perspective as European, I think sheer training average Sikh warrior went through made him already better than rest. Add to this that Sikhism is a faith which is something like Sparta plus Humanist values.

I know that in Western military circles, they are seen as Leonidas tier brave.

Can you guys tell me how it happened? Yeah I understand there was oppression but I read that they were ethnically cleansed three times before they changed the corner stones of their religion into a one that depended on war.

Their early theologians/gurus got btfo by the mughal during the 16th-17th century. As a result they went full on anti-muslim ever since. Based.

Muslims are rabid animals, like wolves. All they do is consume and destroy until there's nothing left. They are the height of unrighteousness.

Murderers, rapists, fanatics, torturers, closed minded, irrational, violently xenophobic to the point of needing to convert and kill all people who aren't in the cult, fucking inbred, misogynistic, violently homophobic (I don't like em either, but leave them alone), open about slaving, child abusers, frauds, deceivers, schemers, thieves, etc.

Their prophet is their role model, that should tell you everything you need to know about him.

The Muslims didn't like how many people were converting to Sikhism, and the fact that the Sikhs had grown big enough to become strong political players in Punjab.

People often became Sikhs out of dislike for the Varna system in Hinduism and the "everything else" in Islam.

Guru Aryan was tortured and killed for his refusal to become muslim.

Guru Teg Bahadur gave his life to protect the Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, Pagans, and all other faithful of India from the Islamic scourge. Even the Hindus recognize him as a righteous shield for Dharma. He was tortured and decapitated after watching his beloved students tortured and killed in front of his eyes.

Guru Gobind Singh has his two little sons walled up alive and dehydrated/starved by muslims.

Sikh women & children were defiled, put into chains, and forcibly converted whenever possible.

wtf I hate the mughals now

Everyone here going on about Sikhism being anti-Islam are memelords you shouldn't take seriously. Sikhs historically were both oppressed by Mughal rulers and patronized by them, both fought local Muslim princes and allied or vassalized them, and regularly fought alongside Indian Muslim lords and soldiers against foreign Afghan Muslim raiders. The Sikh Empire and various Khalsas were never about some kind of 'le remove kebab' nonsense and incorporated large Muslim populations regularly, and their holy men regularly interacted with Muslim mendicant fakirs.

Also Sikhs as a warrior culture are mostly exaggerated from the time where the British crushed the empire and tried to recruit them as soldiers for the Indian Army, which they did just as much for the Hindu and Muslim Pashtuns and Punjabis around the same time. What made the Sikhs powerful historically was their organization, how their warlords were strongly united in a way the various Muslim and Hindu princes around them weren't which in the frontiers of northwest India made them very effective against disorganized raiders and distantly based imperial administrations.

Nice try Achmed

Like I said, memes and not much else.

Cite one source for your liberal bullshit

>Also Sikhs as a warrior culture are mostly exaggerated from the time where the British crushed the empire and tried to recruit them as soldiers for the Indian Army,
I thought the Brit's wrote home about how the Sikh's fought harder than anyone else in the South Asia's tho?

But you're right. Classic divide and conquer. This was used to undermine the Bengals who tried rebelling.

> both fought local Muslim princes and allied or vassalized them, and regularly fought alongside Indian Muslim lords and soldiers against foreign Afghan Muslim raiders.
The point was that they got militarized from Muslim oppression I think and then recovered the lands stolen by the Muslims. For me I'd associate it with the crusaders in a Western sense.

>What made the Sikhs powerful historically was their organization, how their warlords were strongly united in a way the various Muslim and Hindu princes around them weren't which in the frontiers of northwest India made them very effective against disorganized raiders and distantly based imperial administrations.
They lost the second Sikh-Anglo war when Ranjeet Singh died and there was a war for succession so you're right but you could say the same about most other martial empires in history desu.

Literally any book on British India and the Sikh Empire, and actually going to Sikh temples and reading their texts. You know, how people used to learn about things before it was cool to read angry blogs and shitpost about everything else being >muh librul conspiracy

If that's too much for you, you can get the fuck off Veeky Forums

So...you have no evidence

Even Veeky Forums and /pol/ cite their sources

You're lying

>I thought the Brit's wrote home about how the Sikh's fought harder than anyone else in the South Asia's tho?
Mostly it coincided with increasing British interest in India after the transfer from the EIC, so you had a lot more civilians going to India which by then was already pacified save for the Northwest. So extolling the warriors of the frontier made for profitable writing to a British audience fascinated and flattered by their newly incorporated acquisition (as opposed to the EIC which was far more closed off and profit-minded).

>The point was that they got militarized from Muslim oppression I think and then recovered the lands stolen by the Muslims. For me I'd associate it with the crusaders in a Western sense.
It's a deceptive way to put it that doesn't make sense in historical context. It relies on Mughal and Muslim being interchangeable, even though the Mughals were one of several Muslim groups in and around India who had all kinds of different relationships with the Sikhs. The Crusades were interested in securing and cleansing important religious geography and boundaries, and the Sikhs were only interested in securing law and order in a region that was mostly lawless and did not take kindly to outside authorities meddling in their affairs. They're far more comparable to the Italian leagues that formed against the Holy Roman Emperors, or the Swiss Confederacy.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh: Lord of the Five River for all things Sikh Empire

But you only cite for things that aren't common knowledge or established in academia. What you really want and need to be doing is citing any academic or religious source on Sikhism being "anti-Islam/anti-Muslim."

Pages and quotes

Could you please provide a source for your own claims? Disinterested observer here.

You first mate. The anti-Islam argument is the one that needs it, not his which is the basic Sikh dogma.

>Mostly it coincided with increasing British interest in India after the transfer from the EIC
The transfer from the EIC company into the Empire came after the rebellion of 1857 (iirc). The martial races crap was a bit before that and not quite as strong but still there.