Most of Europe was once covered in forest

>most of Europe was once covered in forest

What are some other drastic environmental changes in history? Manmade or otherwise.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_water_on_Earth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I believe that the Arabian peninsula was once fairly fertile and green but importing of oranges and other crops from eastern Asia drained the land too much.

Aral Sea

>Europe was too heavily forested for the Mongols to invade!

damn the romans really got to work in Britain

Europoors build homes out of matchsticks.

The Sahara used to be greener some argue it was humans, others climate or both
The Middle-East was apparently greener as it used to be, man is to blame
Australia used to be greener, again either climate, humans or both

The Amazon might be a big (partly) abandoned food forest and in some places is highly fertile thanks to humans

Sources: 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann, Wasted World by Rob Hengeveld
The Aboriginal stuff should be googleable

At first I thought "wow, the climate must've changed a lot" then I saw the dates and realized it was humans that caused it.

By 2017 I think there's more forest than there was in 1850 in most places in Europe.

Back then agriculture was practiced everywhere and villages were populated. Now people have abandoned the villages in the mountains and most farmable land is where it's flat and easily accessible to modern machinery while the forests are growing back

What is Central Europe like forest-wise? I live in Finland and there's forest everywhere so it's pretty weird to think that you could drive around the country and see only towns and fields.

It was the ancient Britons, actually. A fun fact I heard somewhere is that more land was farmed in iron-age times than now.

This. There's tons more forests in developed world now than 100 years ago. Deforestation is only happening in third world shit holes.

Also is captcha recycling same shit over and over again for anyone else?

Mostly farmland with a yuge population density to the point where you can, on any road in the country, see at least five church towers in the distance. The woods there are are centered around small drainage ponds, or in gardens.
t. not even central european, just scanian
Yes

Yep that is indeed happening, see rewilding Europe for example
Mostly in Spain and (Southern) Eastern Europe

Can someone help me find an ancient source where someone describes Europe as being able to be traveled through without seeing the sun due to the forests?

Areas in red were once land, today they are covered with sea.

Did the earth not start as a huge space rock with no water at all? Meaning it should all be red? Also how did water get on earth? Sorry this is retarded as shit and more astronomy than history.

These were land recently enough, you're talking about tens of thousands of years ago.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_water_on_Earth
Google is your friend

This was Europe just a few thousand years ago.
Meanwhile first civilizations were being born in Anatolia and Mesopotamia.

Life uh, uh, finds a way.

You got a bunch of shit hitting the Earth a long time ago which got chemicals and shit to give to the Earth to allow water to happen.

Why did it change more drastically from 1000 BC to 300 BC than from AD 350 to AD 1000 ?

Source please? This sounds interesting.

In 8300 bc there were not civilizations in Mesopotamia, maybe the very embrional stages of civilization, aka some citadels such as catal hoyuk in Anatolia and Jericho in the Levant

but where tundra?

There was once an age where a squirrel could carry an acorn from Spain to Russia without touching the ground

Thank god we escaped being attached to the continent.

I don't remember where exactly I got it from. I feel like I got it from going on a binge read on wikipedia involving Italian cuisine or while playing Rome: Total War 2.

Dark Ages