Why haven't humans learned to accept death yet?

Why haven't humans learned to accept death yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HuKB0_t3J0A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's odd.

It's scary

I'm not afraid of death, my faith in Christ means I'll never die.

The ones that did are all dead.

Amen brother

Why should we? It's contrary to every instinct we have.

I'm just scared of dying before I turn 75

I'll see you in hell

Evolution.

is a lie
yes

Evolution isn't a statement.

my main fear is ending up in hell
I don't even believe god or atleast not the god as christians describe it

I've been reading a lot of near death experiences about normal decent even religious people who end up in hell
and sure there are all sorts of physiological hypotheses about near death experiences

but it is terrifying

I doesn't seem all that fair. A ~100 year span of doing wrong (sometimes) = an eternity of nonstop excruciating torture

It may not be fair or logical, but life is neither fair nor logical why should any potential afterlife be any more fair

This

>Why should we? It's contrary to every instinct we have.
>This

Stupid. You should come to terms with it because it's inevitable. Nobody wants to pass a kidney stone either but the fact it's something you don't want doesn't make it a good idea to hold in your piss until your bladder bursts.

Death for Napoleon was a sweet release considering the conditions on St Helena.

I think it is natural to fear death by accident or murder: survival instinct.
However, I am not afraid of dying of old age, possibly because I have spent a good deal of time with 3 different old loved ones & family members during their dying experience.

>humans
lol, no such thing exists.

I have fully accepted death.

I was joking.

>y-yeah…m-me too…

Buddhists have.

That's anxiety my friend

I can barely accept pic related's death honestly OP.

Because when you die you often poop your pants! And yes, it does matter!!!

They have. It's called Buddhism.

Some have, I for example can't wait for it

I think he means to imply that all mammals fear death as a result of evolution. Creatures that don't avoid dieing, tended not to pass on genes, so that's become a fundamental mechanism.

For most reasoning minds though, the thought of not existing is rather mind boggling. I mean, yes, you can ultimately blame evolution for the existence of rationality, but it can reason away several other evolutionary impulses. Fear of death, I suppose, can be rationalized away as well, but it's much more difficult.

...and even removing all the spiritual and egotistic consequences, as well as the fear of the unknown, it's certainly very inconvenient (not just your own death, but often those of others as well).

We do all more or less accept the fact that it is coming, however. We may have different ideas as to what, if anything, comes after, but of death and taxes, the former is the most widely accepted as inevitable, even if folks will do their damndest to fight both.

youtube.com/watch?v=HuKB0_t3J0A

So are the ones that didn't.

Either way, I feel an eternal afterlife is the most terrifying concept we've ever cooked up.

I mean death was scary enough as it was. Why the fuck do you do this?

I accept it and think it'll be fine. I'm just worried about what I'm leaving behind for the others, and if everyone around me is going to be okay without me. If I knew that nobody would care, I'd kill myself, and I don't mean that in some crying spiteful way, but in sincere honesty. Eternal rest is eternal rest.

Why should we? It's maladaptive to not fear dying on some level. I personally hope that the transhumanists are right and we find ways to dramatically curtail the amount of natural death that occurs. Non-existence sucks, you can't do anything and the only people who disagree with this are either deluded or broken brain morons.

Even if humans do accept it, it won't stop being any less terrifying. Its the exact opposite state of what we are, and worse yet, no one really knows what to expect when they will reach that state. Sure we can accept it in the sense that it's something inevitable and it must happen, and that's OK cause it's part of life. But humanity has genetically evolved to fear greatly what is unknown to it. And nothing is more unknown than the state of unbeing.

what a dumb fucking haircut.

>hineni, hineni
>I'm ready my Lord

Everyone does bad things more than "sometimes". One could argue those that do bad things and don't think them as bad are worse than those who acknowledge their actions as bad.

How can you accept something you literally cannot comprehend?

we were all dead before we were born

This. Fear of death comes from the fear of the unknown.

>ywn grow up in an agrarian folkish tribe in germania in the bronze age
>ywn be swaddled in the ancestral traditions and spiritual beliefs of your forefathers
>ywn live as one with natural order outside the modern nightmare of consumer capitalism
>ywn die either in battle, earning honor to your name, or perish in the natural conditions of the age, safe in the knowledge you will live amongst your ancestors in the afterlife, and in the material plane your name will live in accordance with your deeds
>you WILL die in your hospital bed at the age of 80 shitting and pissing yourself as a bunch of vietnamese and dindus lazily take '''''care''''' of you

Not exactly scared of dying, but I am scared of losing the people I love.

>you WILL die in your hospital bed at the age of 80 shitting and pissing yourself as a bunch of vietnamese and dindus lazily take '''''care''''' of you
That's generally how people have always died, only differences are that it used to happen when you were 60, and the people taking "care" of you were "healers".

Anyone else think that maybe it's better to die young or before 60 so that you don't have to go through shitty things when you're old like the things below?

>constant hospital and pharmacy visits
>aching joints
>burden on family members
>nursing homes are shit
>cancer

>tfw there are people who had the illusion of going into Hell just before their death
>tfw this is, for some fucked up reason, part of the human experience

How can people actually believe in God? What kind of psycho would build shit like that right into the fabric of our condition?

Humanity needs a goal to unite a significant portion of them and assurance that their genes and memes will live on indefinitely.

Instinct.

Humans are animals, to expect most of them to analyze cold hard logic and not reel from it is naive.

When I feel my life is done I'm definitely going to kill myself, no point waiting around to die after everything you've known and loved is gone

Nobody said they're expecting "most" people to come to terms with death. I just pointed out why it was obviously a good idea to try to do that. Saying you shouldn't because you have instincts is a stupid reason not to.

What are you talking about? Most humans do by default.

I mean if humans were concerned about death, they'd vote in some one who would spend trillions on reversing aging.

Since most humans are too dumb to think about doing that, I would have to say they accept it.

Most everyone who isn't incredibly sheltered recognizes on some level or another how getting old is universally horrible, it's just a matter of when the horrors start for each person and which particular ones hit first. Euthanasia isn't a legally condoned / normal part of the medical process in most regions of the world because unfortunately most people also try really hard to convince themselves they're going to be the exception or that it's not really that bad if you just take medicine or something. It's fucked up, but at least you can take some satisfaction in knowing these people will mostly live long enough to realize how delusional they were and will then experience living hell for a few years before dying.

>read this
>laugh

Have I just laughed over existence at large? Asking myself "who could have possibly designed this? What could have their motive been" just launches me in a hysteric fit of laughter

I'm saying that even if you are a bad person, you aren't doing bad ALL the time. So even a hell that lasts the length of your life or the length of your life plus "interest" would still be pretty unfair

I die every time I go to sleep

Most of us are letztermensch and think that a long life is a good life.

Actually, there's anti-aging pills that are going to be in clinical trials soon, they already work on rats apparently.

What does "accept" mean though?

No matter if you accept it or not, you are going to die.

That's the trick my friend.
Other people can die, you literally can't. Get a pistol, point it at your head and pull the trigger: the gun will jam.

I've tried to kill myself for 920 years now, I still have to find a way.