Vietnam War thread

I started reading pic related this weekend.

Holy shit. Really gives an idea of the chaotic conditions going on. It's almost apocalyptic.

Also this was a good watch if you're interested in the way these people felt about killing another person. Another thing that I find extremely hard to imagine.

youtube.com/watch?v=m0m573MxXXw

Does anyone else have some good Vietnam content? I'd also be open to seeing maps from various operations, combat footage, and maybe some more book suggestions.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Popeye
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Read Embers of War for a look into the events that set up the American war in Vietnam, and War in the Shadows (vol.2) for a detailed look at the strategies used by the North Vietnamese in resisting the US, and a look at various US failures in combating insurgency.

For personal views of the war, I'd recommend Chickenhawk, which deals with a USMC helicopter aviatior's experience in Vietnam during the height of combat operations.

>Embers of War
This, so much. It's so rare to find a book that well-written.

The US even manipulated the weather in order to make monsoon season last longer using lead iodide and silver iodide deployed by aircraft. Called Operation Popeye.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Popeye

Don't forget that time they placed random drops of ammo that had been sabotaged by overloading 1 out of 10 bullets with far more powder than the North Vietnamese guns could handle, leading to many missing hands and ruined faces amongst Charlie

That was back when a U.S. company, International Arms Company, was a major supplier to the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam. This was why they changed suppliers.

i was in nam

how many gooks did you kill
did you bring back any war trophies

I didnt kill anyone. I was stationed at Binh Thuy Air Base from '68 to '69

you got any cool photos?

no i wish though. I had some good times.

fug any qt vietnamese?

i was young and a bachelor so what do you expect? haha

What was the most fucked up thing you saw happen? What was the most danger you ever found yourself in?

The most danger ive ever saw myself in was in a couple bar fights. I wasnt rambo i was a chairforce mechanic. lol.

Well did you have any notable or memorable experiences?

also what the hell are you doing on Veeky Forums grandpappy?

Yeah i do actually. i remember that nguyen van thieu came to visit the base one time. it was apart of some appreciation tour or some shit but none of the citizens of the south really appreciated us. some of that stuff you hear in the movies is true.

im a history major, got a computer some years back, my grandson taught me how to use it, i found Veeky Forums, the rest is Veeky Forumstory. haha

Like what stuff in the movies?

in the movies they always show how the south didnt appreciate us american soldiers. its true to some extent. i dont think its that they didnt appreciate us but i think its that they didnt know what they had until it was gone.

american airmen, sailors and marines also. cant forget them. people often forget about the sailors though

I think it's partly understandable. The entire war sprang from a desire to be independent of foreign influence in the first place. They throw off the French and then the Americans come rushing in on one side and the Russians and Chinese on the other. Probably pretty frustrating for a national identity.

yeah you got a point. after the fall saigon in '75 they were under the influence of the soviets so they never really won their independence from anyone. the people of vietnam would be better off to be under the influence of the united states if anyone.

>"It Ain't Me" plays in the background