Was racism and sexism allowed in the Soviet Union?

Was racism and sexism allowed in the Soviet Union?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_people
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer_in_the_Soviet_Union
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Operation_of_the_NKVD
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not on paper, at least.

I don't know why you would use the word 'allowed', racism wasn't explicitly state-sanctioned, but racism did exist as it does in any state.

only situation I know where such hatred was sanctioned by the state was during World War II, where propaganda was as simple as "Kill the German", though with the Russians/Ukrainians/Belorussians already enraged at everything the Germans did to them, it almost went without saying.

Yes. They implemented racial policies in marginalizing many non-european tribes/ethnic groups. By marginalizing, I meant cultural cleansing tactics. Like forced relocations, forced into re-education camps, etc

Mostly because a lot of these ethnic tribes openly collaborated with Nazi Germany

You're applying modern US terms to the situation where they make no sense.

Racism is a wrong term because the society was racially homogenous enough to focus on nationality and not on race. Theoretically, the Soviet government was trying to create a multicultural society and the official term for the population was "multinational Soviet people": en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_people , so the ethnic minorities had their culture promoted and languages protected, with national schools and everything. In practice, national cultures couldn't compete with the dominant Russian culture and Russification and assimilation was a real danger, especially for the smaller nations.

The Soviet government had no concept of "sexism" as something to allow or to fight against, but they tried to promote more active participation of women in social life. They basically achieved it: Russia, for example, ranks highest for female top managers, and women in post-Soviet Islamic countries are nothing like burka-covered passive objects other Islamic countries try to make them into.

This wasn't racial motivated tho. Germans, Chechens and Crimean Tatars were relocated in the middle of Kazakhstan steppe, but the reason was their open collaboration with the invading German army. No other ethnic minorities were targeted.

Thanks for your answers friend. I learnded a couple things today

thank you for this. I learned something today, thanks to you.

>jew

Thats a fucking dwarf.

funfact: Tolkien's dwarfs are inspired by Jews

Lets see from what I could search on google.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer_in_the_Soviet_Union

"Open Collaboration" is a nice revisionist term. There were so many deaths during these population "transfers".

With so many deaths, and this has been called a genocide campaign by EU. Ofcourse to a Russian nationalist, its a cleansing "Nazi supporters"

I wasn't trying to justify it tho, I don't support the idea of collective responsibility in any form, I just wanted to show what it wasn't racially (or ethnically) motivated. For example, ethnically Russian collaborators would have met the same or even worse fate.
> "Open Collaboration" is a nice revisionist term.
Well, t b h, they were collaborating with the Nazis in unproportionally high numbers, and they themselves had no problems with ethnical cleansing of other ethnicities. Again, I don't think this justifies any nation-wide measures against the peoples in question.

Why not just "transfer" only those who collaborated? Why go the full ethnic transfer?

Only 2% of the Kalmyk joined the Nazis, a much larger force joined the Soviet army, yet their entire population gets "transferred" because "Nazi collaboration". Half of them died during that phase.

funfact: Tolkien hated allegories and any racial metaphores you see in Tolkiens works is just you projecting your own racism onto him.

>No other ethnic minorities were targeted.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Operation_of_the_NKVD

"The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."
― J.R.R. Tolkien

The thing is he loved jews. He was racist, just one of those racists who love diversity instead of hate it.

Ask Stalin, I guess it was easier for him to just move people en mass than to investigate. He applied the same logic against the Russians - only the minority of POW were collaborators, yet most of them were sent to Gulags afterward.
I mean, I understand what you're trying to say, but if you wish to prove Stalin had ethnical cleansing of the regions in question in mind, you still have to explain why only some of the ethnicities were targeted. For me, it looks like he was just an unstable murderous tyrant.
So yeah, the Poles weren't exempt from the company of mass murdering that was going on in the country at the time.

>there were Jews that sympathised with
Communism and the alllies therefore the holocaust wasn't racially motivated

You know what, I've reread the thread and I think I went full tankie for no reason. The forced relocations were ethnic cleansings whatever were the reasons behind them since they targeted the entire ethnic groups. I guess I overreacted to stating there was a "racial policy of systematic marginalization" of non-Europeans, which is bullshit, especially in the wider historical context of the entire Soviet history.

Race and sex was not a concept in the USSR

Higher Quality, comrade?

Those descriptions look like race descriptions in a videogame.

Literally every single one of these ethnic groups (except jew), the Soviet union tried to destroy as an identity.

Also, I find it super fucking hypocritical that Austria-Hungary was dismantled because it was multicultural, while the commies are praised for the exact same thing, despite being far more oppressive than A-H ever was.

That's the National Geographic for you.

That's the (((National Geographic))) for you

>Literally every single one of these ethnic groups (except jew), the Soviet union tried to destroy as an identity.
That's not really true. Just watch Soviet movies. Yes, they were trying to create a homogenous people, but that was mostly about getting rid of some customs that were considered "backwards" or "anti-Soviet" (like bride kidnapping), and getting rid of xenophobia.

Yeah man, it's fine to do cultural cleansing if these groups DARE to mantain their living style instead of the invasor one and ally with a country who is trying to end this bullshit.

>Yes, they were trying to create a homogenous people, but that was mostly about getting rid of some customs that were considered "backwards" or "anti-Soviet"
Like eating

Thank you.

I was talking about the later years, Khrushchev and Brezhnev time. Stalin is another story.

What is your problem man

Why do commies want to destroy these organic manifestations of genetic difference between Human beings?

Different ethnicities and races, which in turn spawn unique cultures, are the things that makes Human beings fascinating collectively. Commies wish to destroy all the actual 'diversity' and make Humans some disgusting grey 'working class' hivemind.

Sexism was explicitly "Bad" and the USSR actually made great strides in combating it. Rascism was also "officially" Anti-Soviet, but the Soviets were always racist to non-russians and especially non-whites and made no real attempts to ever rectify this. The Soviet Union was after all a state by and for Russians, and any talk of it being more than yet another Russian empire that conquered other peoples was a convenient fiction by its government.

Some of those groups like the Caucasus people and Muslims were allying with the Nazis and Fascists.

>The Soviets were da real Nazi genocides!

Oh, i wonder why would they do that...hmmm, soviet union was a such paradise for them afterall,aint that right!?

Racism was initially anti-fascsist, because it prioritised race over nation.
>Race? It is a feeling, not a reality. Ninety-five per cent, at least. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today.… National pride has no need of the delirium of race

Fuck off, communist scum.

Racial and gender tolerance isn't really what is comparable with the Soviet Union and modern leftism. What is more comparable is how the Soviet Union had the "can't question the government, accept everything Big Brother says" mentality. Among other things, you can go farther into this but I am just posting a stray thought on an image board.

He's talking about the language though, not the actual race, all of his languages were at least partly based on existing ones.