Haiti Revolution

Can you tell me about the Haiti Revolution with from an unbiased perspective (as much as you can get anyway)?

How'd it happen? Who were the commanders? How'd they win? What was life like for the Haiti people after that?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Haiti_massacre
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Haiti
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never use slaves as soldier it willalways come back to night you in the ass.

WE

Bunch of mixed autist sperging out

>howd it happen

If its like all the others, a combination of an urbanized native upper class, declining welfare payments from the colonizer, and decline in resource exports

>Who were the commanders

Not important.

>How did they win

The whites fled until practically none were left.

>whites left
I wonder why haiti is such a shit hole

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Haiti_massacre

They were cruel to the people who civilized them. It's such a shame. The 1804 Genocide was barbaric.

>The course of the massacre showed an almost identical pattern in every city he visited. Before his arrival, there were only a few killings, despite his orders. When Dessalines arrived, he first spoke about the atrocities committed by former white authorities, such as Rochambeau and Leclerc, after which he demanded that his orders about mass killings of the area's white population should be put in effect. Reportedly, he ordered also the unwilling to take part in the killings, especially men of mixed race, so that the blame should not be placed solely on the black population. Mass killings then took place on the streets and on places outside the cities. In parallel to the killings, plundering and rape also occurred.

>Women and children were generally killed last. White women were "often raped or pushed into forced marriages under threat of death."

>Before his departure from a city, Dessalines would proclaim an amnesty for all the whites who had survived in hiding during the massacre. When these people left their hiding place, however, they were killed as well. Many whites were, however, hidden and smuggled out to sea by foreigners.

>One of the most notorious of the massacre participants was Jean Zombi, a mulatto resident of Port-au-Prince who was known for his brutality. One account describes how Zombi stopped a white man on the street, stripped him naked, and took him to the stair of the Presidential Palace, where he killed him with a dagger. Dessalines was reportedly among the spectators; he was said to be "horrified" by the episode. In Haitian Vodou tradition, the figure of Jean Zombi has become a prototype for the zombie.

because it had an extraction based economy

>White women were "often raped or pushed into forced marriages under threat of death."

Holy fuck disgusting

This all could have been avoided if France ignore mediocre whites who needed to feel superior to successful black and mixed race people.

You reap what you sow.

Oh and only French were targeted, Germans and Poles were fine and in fact Germans were enshrined in the Constitution as a race of equals. They were even given land a year or so after the French evacuated.

>spend hundreds of years literally working people to death in the most abhorrent of conditions
>omg why would these savages kill the slavers ;((((((

Lol, that's every rebellion in history.

>Not important.
Of course it is.

>The whites fled until practically none were left.
It's not like the French didn't fight for it. I'm surprised they won considering how well trained the French were while most of them were just freed slaves.

Man that's pretty fucked up.

Yeah, almost like how disgusting it was for African women and children to be raped. A shocker people will use the same actions done to them on those who did them.

Enslave the coal
Pay the toll

>They were cruel to the people who civilized them.
the colonists of Haiti had absolutely no interest in civilizing their slaves. All the slaves were fresh off the boat from Africa and were expected to die, and so they were overworked and beaten until they dropped dead, and then replaced by more fresh slaves from Africa. Most of them never learned French or were taught anything. Meanwhile the poor whites, free blacks, mulattoes and rich whites all fucking hated each other. The island was a boiling pot of racial tension for decades, and the blacks just happened to win out because they were the majority.

What goes around comes around :^)

>How'd it happen?

A bunch of slaves revolted against their (((white))) masters.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Haiti

This should tell you all you need to know.

Friendly reminder that OP asked for an *unbiased* perspective.

Most weren't Jewish you dumbass

i don't see you providing one

worked for the Ottomans, the key is to train them from an early age

fuck, I should've guessed it. more Jewish crimes being blamed on white people.

People did unto others what was done to them by those others.

That's as unbiased as it gets.

why is /pol/ always right?

because nobody bothers to actually look into the information they cherrypick

Oh shit that makes it okay for you to diminish the quality of posts then lulz XDDDDDD

how am i diminishing the quality of posts if you haven't actually made a quality post that would be diminished

(((White People)))

French Haiti was very likely literally the worst place to live in human history. The slave population was significant below replacement rate and hundreds of thousands of slaves had to be continually brought in to fill in for the ones who died. During the Revolution, 50% of the black population died.

>The whites fled until practically none were left.

If by fled you mean were raped and murdered until none were left, then yes.

No French. Germans were safe, welcomed and encouraged to migrate.

If you've ever been around upper class Haitians they are all near white and have numerous European ancestors post-revolution from nations other than France

>How'd it happen?
>be me
>born a slave in Saint Dominique,
>frogs call me Toussaint Louverture
>learn about Africa from my old man who was born free before he was captured
>realize there's more to me than just being another slave
>be lucky enough to have a kind master who taught me how to read and write
>read every book I can get my hands on
>slowly come upon the philosophers of the French Enlightenment who were famous for speaking about individual rights and equality
>realise I was born with a shit deck
>plot for years about how to free my people
>actually do it

absolute madman

>inb4 (((Veeky Forumstorians))) defend the Haitians

>declining welfare payments from the colonizer
I suppose that's one way to term an indemnity

Because I can already see the obvious Euro Imperialism apologists coming out the wood work to try and spin this towards a perspective they are partial to.

Not what I was referring to, but okay.

Nah the janisaries wound up being shitty for the empire in the end. Just like mamalukes.

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now.... BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite..... BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

Also it helps to remember while a lot of them were cannon fodder with no training, the top brass of the Haitian movement weren't completely incompetent.
The ex-slaves built pic related to defend against French invasion for one. Elite Haitians were pretty educated.

They're already here.

Understandable and excusable are not the same user.

Damn that's brutal... Why are black people so evil?

People would claim this on the milat Haitians but the fact remains Henri was black as tar.

This is what happens when you let mediocre white boys limit the freedoms of intellectually and economically top notch people.

No worse than slavery user, beating thousands and keeping them in terrible dehumanizing traditions is pretty bad too.

I would give you the killing of children and those offered amnesty is pretty nigger tier though

>No worse than slavery user

Yes it is. Atleast slaves got to live

Reminder that you f Napoleon hadn't been a retard to the Haitians things would have worked out good for him

>give the blacks freedom and citizenship
>arm them and whip them into a frenzy to liberate the slaves held by Britain and nearby colonies and threaten the carribean without needing to do much

As if the slave owners did not regularly kill slaves? Haiti was notorious for its death rate

Has anyone got any lurid primary sources about the white women being raped?

Not like that was the biggest loss to him. He loved getting revenge on the brits.

Still ended up killing about half a million of the Haitians before they left.

Haiti was a paradise for the Europeans. It was also the richest and most developed colony at the time but the africans squandered its wealth with corruption, mismanagement, and losing to the Dominicans over and over again

Still he could have used to them to utterly wreck the British and eventually the Spanish.

Haiti had a huge death rate because of disease and hard working conditions generally.
Haiti has a huge slave problem now too haha

>slave revolt
>threatening Britain's colonies
Britain may be shit at fighting in Europe but they are good at subjugating third worlders

You know, suddenly I understand the southern states' point of view a whole lot more and I believe they had very reasonable concerns about abolishing slavery. This shit would have been fresh in the minds of all white slave owners in America. No fucking wonder they seceded after Lincoln won the election, I would have probably opted for secession too if I were alive at the time.

>but they are good at subjugating third worlders
Yeah if the third worlders didn't know how to battle most of the time (which was the case for Australia and most of Africa). Their main strength was their navy. Their main army wasn't very good.

Not when they're embroiled in conflict on the continent
Napoleon, the guy with a good chunk of all european manpower, could not consider throwing more men at the haitian problem than he already had, he needed them on the continent.

>No worse than slavery
It's a lot worse than slavery. Slavery was practiced throughout history, it was often what happened when a powerful ruler conquered his neighbors. Know what rarely happened? Butchering ever man, woman, and child in a conquered population. Because that's utterly barbaric, even by African standards. He was a savage.

Being this butthurt about 'civilization' being pointed out as a meme.

ayo muffugah we da slavers now

>proceeds to murder all of the whites, even the ones that released them and tried to join the revolutiont
>people hundreds of years later praise the uprising while blaming white people for the locals not knowing how to farm and not being well liked by their neighbors for no other reason than being racist
>there is literally no other reason to not like haitians unless are a racist

They didn't kill all the whites, many of the white women took the opportunity to marry black men.

Listen to the corresponding section of the "Revolutions" podcast.

>many of the white women took the opportunity to marry black men.

This. Most of the white women realized there husbands were just pathetic white bois. A strong big black man murdered her husband, it's a natural animalistic tendency to seek the dominant male. In this case, seeing how weak her white husband was getting overthrown by real men gave them a rush unattainable by most.

the one event that single handedly set the negroid race back AT LEAST centuries

>women were always the same
good god why did we give them so many rights

It was the barbaric actions of the a barbaric race of people. And haiti paid a dear price for it's action and will continue to do so today.

Fuck with the whites, pay the price.

>be nig
>uprise against the new government
>new government put you down with help of loyal black people
>anglo asshurt
>nappy put back slavery
>angry nig.jpg
>no more loyal black
>muh massacre
>muh fever
>muh anglo-help
>french gtfo
>king nigger ruins the cunt

They were worked to death. That was policy - work them to death and then buy some more. American slavery was cuddly in comparison.

>They were worked to death. That was policy - work them to death and then buy some more.
Interesting how this point has been brought up several times but somehow conveniently ignored to downplay the level of mistreatment.

>Can you tell me about the Haiti Revolution with from an unbiased perspective

Google revolutions podcast Haiti for the best discussion of the events from a neutral perspective. (ie without racisism or marxism dominating)

>How'd it happen?

-Great instability in Continental France caused by the revolution

-having a brutal slave economy (even by slaver standards) and a huge majority of slaves

-France freeing then trying to re-enslave them once they realised the economy wouldnt be profitable otherwise (which is a real important fact here)

>Who were the commanders?
Quite a lot of people given how long the revolution took and how much backstabbing and flip flopping was involved.

The most famous though is Toussaint Louverture who was like a lesser black Napoleon (minus the military genius). [spoiler]Ended up getting jewed by the French and locked up in a European jail before the massacre[/spoiler]

Idolised for being an absolute shitbag like literally every leader that followed him [spoiler]although its more beacuse he died before really assuming any real power kinda like Trotsky[/spoiler]

>How'd they win?

Yellow Fever mostly (it absolutely decimated the battle hardened Napoleonic veterans) followed by the fact that whites spent more time fighting each other.

>What was life like for the Haiti people after that?

Terrible, abosultley terrible.

-They've had nothing but a succession of leaders so corrupt and incompetent they actually make regular south American dictators look brilliant

-Huge overpopulation and high density

-Sugar prices tanked (prior to the revolution it was more valuable than the 13 colonies)

-France forced them to pay an indemity to leave them alone or else they would blockadge them. (which lasted well into the 20th century)

-constant natural disasters which do extra damage due to the population density and shitty leadership

And this is just the shit prior to the US messing with them.

The whites had rutinley committed similar acts in the lead up to that out of paranoia. Including some real dick moves

>a plantation rises up and gains momentum
>shit we dont have enough men lets promises some other slaves their freedom if they fight for us
>Huzza it workerd crisis over
>Hm but we dont want to actually have to free all those blacks and shit they now know how to use guns better exile them instead.
>Whats this no other country wants to take them who would have guessed ah well lets just slaughter them instead.

Propaganda

just shows the superiority of the white man

jannisaries fucked the ottomans in the long run

Yeah it's not like Vikings basically did the same thing

Yup only Jews owned slaves in Haiti

wite manz din du nuffin

They showed superiority by getting killed?

Nice rebellion you stupid niggers

They deserved it: this is what you get for putting shackles on a man. Don't expect ANY sort of mercy afterward, the experience you subjected that dude to have probably destroyed any remnant of humanity and compassion he had in him.

This kind of senseless, arbitrary suffering won't make you virtuos, instead it will gradually erode all of those human traits that you need in order to live in a civilized society.

tl;dr: if someone from another continent start enslaving you, your family and your country at large you can be sure that as soon as it will be possible you will join the revolution, and you will be fucking merciless

le epik meme XDD!!!!

It's not even about whether they deserved or not,innocents rarely deserve anything. It's about decisions and their long term effects. Modern slavery in the New World was from the perspective of someone who has knowledge past that age, a very poor decision that led to many conflicts, divisions and general human misery.

Im not trying to justify anyones actions as much as show how much of a shit show it was there with everyone doing horrible things to everyone, outside of women + children and a group of poles there was no one who didn do nuffin

Watch the movie(series?) Louverture if you can understand French

No such thing

So why is Haiti such a shit hole now?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Haiti

>As of 2013, the Jewish population is around 25 predominately in Port-au-Prince.

Learnt their lesson huh

/thread

also Jean Jacques Dessalines ordered the french massacre.
L'ouverture probably wouldn't have ordered the massacre since he was looking for peace( which is why he went to stupidly france in the first place). Dessalines was looking for revenge. He ended up declaring himself emperor of Haiti, and in 1806 he was assassinated by his own subordinates for being a megalomaniac and a dick in general.

He thought he could be an equal by out doing them in their own game.

The dichotomy between L'ouverture and Dessalines would make for an awesome movie.

its like
Malcolm X vs. Professor X
or
Magneto vs Martin Luthor King jr.

>L'ouverture: educated slave turned free man who directed the revolution away from its excesses and tried to negotiate peace between the blacks and whites
>Dessalines scar covered slave liberated by the revolution notorious for his brutality who, although respects L'ouverture, refuses to ever submit to white rule again.

sounds like it could be a key & peele skit

Guess what happens when you slaughter white people by the fuckload? Whitey makes you pay, and Haiti will continue to pay in perpetuity. Remember that the next time one of you animals decides get all huffy about "muh slavery" and "muh oppression". You continue to draw breath at the white man's sufferance, and the moment you step out of line is the very moment that sufferance ends.

Wouldn't freeing the slaves ease the tension?

BASED ZOMBI

There were even Russians there too. I know a girl in Florida named Manouchka, and that's a weird ass name for a Haitian.

>implying Jews aren't white

No one gives a damn about an ethno-religious group, if you're Jewish you're very likely to be white. End of discussion.

Where are the stories about french women getting blacked?

yeah in Haiti the Major trouble came when they tried to re-enslave all the people that they just freed. Honestly most slave uprisings before the revolution were just trying to get better working conditions and less abuse for the slaves. It was very common to see slaves with missing limbs, massive burns, and horrible whip scars from ordinary sugar plantations. Most slave leaders weren't negotiating to be free, they were negotiating to not be worked or beaten to death. Slavery probably could have continued if the whites living on the island were more humane to the slaves and allowed the wealthy and educated blacks and mulatto's to have equal rights.

Slaves chimped out an masse because they wanted freedom but in their enthusiasm they ended up killing or driving out everyone who knew how to run a country and consequentially they've been the poorest place in the western hemisphere for nearly two centuries at this point.

>I'm surprised they won considering how well trained the French were while most of them were just freed slaves.

The slaves didn't win that war man, malaria did.

No they were set free after the french revolution in the ghost of freedom and brotherhood.
Slaves chimped out after they were free.