Was Montgomery a good general?

I've heard a lot of people chat shit about how he was a shit general who only won battles like El-Alamein due to superior numbers and his tactics were sub-WW1 level charges and artillery barrages.
Are the memes real? Was he shit?
Also would General Gott have done a better job?

Other urls found in this thread:

planetaryhq.com/patton.html
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1ygzu9/how_pronounced_was_general_patton_and_general/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true
youtube.com/watch?v=8ksCvu12QlE&index=5&list=PL92DF48C910B373C6#t=3m33s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A shitty person but I don't know if there were better British commanders in WWII.

weren't most WW2 generals shitty people anyway? I know he was like super annoying though

Out of those who didn't serve a totalitarian state? He was pretty bad. Ruined a man's life. Was pretty arrogant. Yeah those in power are usually shitty. Not that it's a rule but they knew how to get around.

>Harold Alexander
>William Slim
>Claude Auchinleck

Alexander was a noble counterpart to Montgomery.

imagine if they'd listened to J F C Fuller

>go back to Cracked
Slim is a Meme. I bet you think von Lettow was a great general, too.

dude was a retard, some of his exploits are head scratchers

>top brass says op. market garden in essence is shit
>some American field commanders refuse to participate
>"guise trust me it will be fine!! berlin by chrustmas xD!!"
>plan fails, like everyone said it would
>"its not my fault, its thise fuggin poles!! xd"

there was also his autistic screeching with DeGaulle and every other American general.

to be fair de gaulle was autistic too

Market Garden failed by a matter of hours and was the fault of the tanks for not pushing fast enough.
You see if you'd had say Patton trying to meet up with British Airborne then it wouldn't have failed.

except Patton despised Monty. He'd rather help a kraut than that britbong

He listened to intelligence but ignored logistics

>except Patton despised Monty

Source?

planetaryhq.com/patton.html

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1ygzu9/how_pronounced_was_general_patton_and_general/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

shit sources i know, but this is all i could find the wasnt yahoo answers or cracked

Yeah, these aren't good sources and the 2nd hardly implies hate.

s-sorry a-user

>and was the fault of the tanks for not pushing fast enough
How the fuck were they going to push faster? The logistical situation literally did not allow for it and everyone knew it but Monty wouldn't listen. It didn't matter who was in charge, that shit was going to fucking fail.

from what I remember it was some british officer halting the column because no infantry support

>Ruined a man's life.
Whose?

He was an Aspie.

not him but Sosabowski iirc

>le market garden face

BIG JOCK CAMPBELL

tbf De Gaulle was the autistic screecher

Sounds like a good officer desu

>poles
>men

aloha snackbar, my smelly muslim friend

Sosabowski's. One of the few who were skeptical about this plan. He fought well though. After the war he worked in a warehouse for the rest of his life together with some of his men who saluted him at work.

>Like many other Polish wartime officers and soldiers who were unable to return to Communist Poland he settled in West London. He found a job as a factory worker at the CAV Electrics assembly plant in Acton.[6] He died in London on 25 September 1967. It has been suggested that until his funeral at which his rank and achievements were read out, many of his friends and workmates in England were largely unaware of his military accomplishments.

Fuck

:/

Didn't he made a bet with an American General and he was promised a B17.
The American General says fuck off, we need it to bomb krauts.
>Goes full reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to Eisenhower until he gets the plane he was promised

The Dutch made a pretty big deal out of it and gave him (posthumously) the medal he was promised. And a couple veterans who were still alive.

youtube.com/watch?v=8ksCvu12QlE&index=5&list=PL92DF48C910B373C6#t=3m33s

Timestamping doesn't work? I already forgot. Anyway it's at 3:33.

>not honouring bets

No

See Africa
See Sicily
See the Falaise Pocket
See Market Garden

Sure the allies won two of those battles but either to the american help our superior numbers

(in the Falaise Pocket he let some krauts sneak out)

>William Slim
I know he's the best, but not why
Its because he hold india against the japs?

>lose battle
>blame the polish brigade
wait what was he that retarded?

>holding anything against 5ft tall japs
>worthy
yeah no, anyone could have done it

It was 1944. Poles didn't like the Soviets naturally but by then they were the most precious allies. According to the press they were destroying the unity etc. Easy target.

>Japanese
>not fearless and formidable at jungle warfare

It is when your force is 90% Indians/Burmese and had to be trained in under 6 months.

Ah Nippon, the biggest tropical island in Asis

he unironically visted the Poles after the battle and praised them for their bravery, then blasted them in the media

What a fucker. Perfidious Albion indeed.
Rommel should have put an 88mm shell through his head

He pretty much tried to counter and call out Monty's retarded plans. Monty on the other hand found someone who wouldn't bulge under his screeching. No one really like Monty though.

Apparently his autistic screeching did go a large way in helping the allies hold the line during the battle of the bulge. American commanders still had their jaws on the floor from suprise, trying to defend in small isolated pockets until monty took over and organised a large scale defence and counter

Rommel was far worse than Montgomery tbqhwyf

My grandfather was in the 8th army and didn't rate him at all, preferred the other generals, not sure who now though, but he didn't think Monty had the best approach or was concerned for the men.

He actually saw Monty once, he came to 'see the troops'. They were all told to wash the tanks down to look nice (WTF?), so spent ages doing that. Then they were told he was coming from the other way, so they had to turn the tanks around, and as they were in the bloody desert they had to clean them all over again. Monty arrives, drives straight past the tanks, gets out and goes straight in a tent.

>I've heard a lot of people chat shit about how he was a shit general who only won battles like El-Alamein due to superior numbers and his tactics were sub-WW1 level charges and artillery barrages.

It's true. If the U.S. hadn't captured the bridge at Remagen, Monty's plan for crossing the Rhine was to zerg rush a bazillion Allied troops straight into the teeth of the German defenses and drown them in our own blood....

Excellent planner, was shit when he had to do things on the fly. Almost everything about him is exaggerated because of his frankness. Living marmite. Should be able to read his memoirs. Doesn't deal with the battles but everything around it for the most part.

>They were all told to wash the tanks down to look nice (WTF?), so spent ages doing that. Then they were told he was coming from the other way, so they had to turn the tanks around, and as they were in the bloody desert they had to clean them all over again. Monty arrives, drives straight past the tanks, gets out and goes straight in a tent.
Well that's just the army for you

>Market Garden failed by a matter of hours and was the fault of the tanks for not pushing fast enough.

Because pushing an entire corps up a _single_ road, surrounded by flooded marshy Dutch countryside infested with Germans, wasn't the problem....

>battle of the bulge.
>monty took over and organised a large scale defence and counter

That's an odd way of spelling "Patton".

not only that he transferred a entire corps (XXX corps) to the meuse crossings blocking the germans and shoring the line there. this was despite it not being anywhere near his operational area.
nope, patton attacked from the south, Monty too control of the northern part, and the only complaint any american commander had about his conduct was the didnt like the press conference.

he took a series of disconnected holding actions and poorly organised counterattacks and turned it into a solid defensive line and then a successful counterattack.