Quotes thread????

post you're favorite quotes from philosophers and historical figures
“we are no more than mortal men, and we should at all times make due allowance for the unexpected” – Polybius
“Alas, where in the world have there been greater follies than with the compassionate? And what in the world has caused more suffering than the follies of the compassionate?
Woe to all lovers who cannot surmount pity!
Thus spoke the devil to me once: Even god has his hell: it is his love for man. And I lately heard him say these words: God is dead; God has died of his pity for man” – Friedrich Nietzsche

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tetk_ayO1x4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>And what in the world has caused more suffering than the follies of the compassionate?

Hate? Disagreement? Genocides aren't compassionate, unless he's being an autist and implying that working towards a "greater good" is the same thing as compassion.

>Gibs me NEETbux
Karl Marx

Marx.png

So basically workers are cucks?

>creates a literal cult of labor

>spending some item on your knees
what did he mean by this?

There is a significant overlap between the two though.

damn

Thank god she lost. I mean, holy shit.

Whoah...

youtube.com/watch?v=Tetk_ayO1x4

The German army is a machine, and machines can be broken! - Rokossovksy

>[Separation of church and state] should be frankly and explicitly abandoned
What did he mean by this? Is this quote taken out of context or does he think the Ten Commandments should be in the Constitution?

>When evening comes, I return home and enter my study; on the threshold I take off my workday clothes, covered with mud and dirt, and put on the garments of court and palace. Fitted out appropriately, I step inside the venerable courts of the ancients, where, solicitously received by them, I nourish myself on that food that alone is mine and for which I was born; where I am unashamed to converse with them and to question them about the motives for their actions, and they, out of their human kindness, answer me. And for four hours at a time I feel no boredom, I forget all my troubles, I do not dread poverty, and I am not terrified by death.

>Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.
Eugene Debs

Praying blowing

I don't usually fall for native American stuff, but I got a soft spot for Chief Joseph.

Chief Joseph the Elder: "My son, my body is returning to my mother earth, and my spirit is going very soon to see the Great Spirit Chief. When I am gone, think of your country. You are the chief of these people. They look to you to guide them. Always remember that your father never sold his country. You must stop your ears whenever you are asked to sign a treaty selling your home. A few years more and white men will be all around you. They have their eyes on this land. My son, never forget my dying words. This country holds your father's body. Never sell the bones of your father and your mother.

Chief Joseph commented: "I clasped my father's hand and promised to do as he asked. A man who would not love his father's grave is worse than a wild animal."

"Let the faggots die" - Reagan in response to the AIDS epidemic