How has Christianity changed since it's conception?

How has Christianity changed since it's conception?

Did they change the texts, or just the church?

Unrecognizable

How so?

Paul completely deviating from the disciples and pulling 99% of it out of his ass.

>what Paul did is the entirety of Christianity

>How has Christianity changed

Through Paul

What exact or approximate changes did he bring about?

>Jesus is God
>Muh blood atonement
>The Pope
>The cross
>Anti-semitism

I thought bait was supposed to look real

Wasn't he a Hellenic Jew though?

No, he knew nothing about Judaism

> Paul knew nothing about Judaism

Not him, but yeah, that's pretty much true. He makes broad, blanket statements that are just wrong, like "oh, we don't need the temple anymore because Jesus died for our sins", implying that sin offerings were the only ones given, which is contradicted by a cursory look at Leviticus. He equates a Passover offering with a sin offering, for crying out loud.

Christians would argue no, but it's changed in some less important ways.

The early Church seems to have primarily lived in small, tight, relatively isolated communities; that really only left to evangelize. The early church also sincerely believed it was living in the end times; as Paul said they were going to meet Christ in the air, along with the dead Apostles that passed without seeing the return of Jesus.

Other more superficial changes are that Christians are no longer required to stand the entirety of mass (except for Orthodox), the church no longer has the power to levy tithes on the peasantry (except in countries like the UK and Sweden, where a portion of everyone's taxes still goes to the state church), clergy were no longer allowed to be married and have children (like they were before 305 in the Catholic church), and masses in the Catholic church may now be said in local vernacular once again.

However, I think the main doctrines of Christianity were set relatively early. The canonical New Testament was de facto being used by the 3rd century, however many "heretical" books were probably still being passed around before Athanasius put a stop to it. The trinity's basic structure was set up relatively early; as Christians needed to find a way how Jesus could be on the same level as the Father, while also seemingly claim that the breath of God was on their level as well. However the doctrines that Jesus and the Paraclete have always existed and are consubstantial with the Father (instead of being its creations in some way) wouldn't be finalized until the 4th century.

Jesus' sacrifice on the Cross and Resurrection was seen early as atoning for the sins of Adam and Eve in some way.

Christians may've also first baptized people "in the name of the Lord"; but I'm not sure about that, even though it wouldn't technically null the trinity, since all three persons are the "Lord".

I'll probably still get bitched at by the guy who runs "Inspiring Philosophy"

>How has Christianity changed since it's conception?

We dont know

>Did they change the texts, or just the church?

The group that gained political power was the only one which managed to preserve a decent amount of texts and they were known for burning things they disagreed with.

>Christians may've also first baptized people "in the name of the Lord"; but I'm not sure about that

Why aren't you sure?

Paul was a PHARISEE. He was the jewiest jew in those days.

Paul claims to be a PHarisee. Given how Acts has him working for the Sadduccees, and the general Gospel level of confusion between the two sects, this claim isn't substantiated by anything really.

Not to mention that "Jewiest Jew" would almost certainly go to the Essenses, not the Pharisees, who were pretty liberal compared to their contemporaries.

>Its another Christians "get their knowledge of Judaism from whats written in the bible" episode.

>why would the bible be biased about the events of early Christianity?

Read the Didache

>Essenes
>The Jewiest Jews

Wew lad
What type of bizzaroland do you find yourself in

When I read the didache I think it has a very different theology than Modern Christianity, even though the rituals are similar.

A Catholic/Orthodox on the other hand might think differently

The one where I've read what these ancient sects were actually like.

Oh god this autist is back, he is in every thread that mentions ancient Christianity.

Idk why that guy doesn't just convert to Islam, they hate the apostle paul as much as he does

As have I, and being different to both the Sadducees and Pharisees, and being nothing like the Jews we've come to known today: I still don't see how you came to that conclusion.

It helps to define terms.

Christianity is the confession and belief that Jesus is God, raised from the dead.

That has not changed, and will not change.

So you think Paul was more a warrior of the "Never Again Masada" flavor, rather than a sick, wheezing, bent over old man with eye problems.

Jews.

Not even once.

I had the same reaction. But I prayed for more gentleness today, so this is what I get. A stubborn, stiff necked, arrogant self-righteous hypocrite who thinks he's a Jew.

I think I may have already blown it.

>Insular
>Obsessed with ritual
>Obsessed with notions of cleanliness
>Think they're better than everyone else (especially other Jews)
>Think that they're under constant persecution and need to form their own community to escape from it.
>lack of martial tradition (compared to contemporary Jews).
You're right, it's totally constructed from nothing.

>So you think Paul was more a warrior of the "Never Again Masada" flavor, rather than a sick, wheezing, bent over old man with eye problems.
No, I'm not even sure how you came to that bizarre conclusion. I would be interested in hearing that, but I suspect it would make me fall off my chair laughing.

The Essenes were the Jews who fought the Romans and lost at Masada.

Paul wrote about his failing health and unimposing stature regularly.

that's not what this thread is about though. if you prefer that definition then just consider this thread to be about changes in the practices and beliefs of the community of the Church

You may need to read from some more reliable sources.

For about 300 years, small home churches under persecution were the norm. When the Jews and Romans failed to eradicate all of the Christians, Constantine paganized Christianity by allowing it to be practiced among other religions. Eventually he sought to have a Christian state with himself as the leader. So all of the pagan practices had been going on for centuries, including Semiramis' Lent, Saturnalia/Christ's Mass, and Ishtar/Easter, were incorporated into the "church".

Jesus warned that the Kingdom of God was not meant to outgrow its normal use by means of the parable of the mustard seed. The mustard seed, a small bush, grew so large that birds of the air nested in its branches.

Birds of the air, in the bible, are demons. And what do we see with the biggest churches on earth?

Infested with demons.

>The Essenes were the Jews who fought the Romans and lost at Masada.
Actually, they hid away and committed mass suicide, they didn't really fight, but ok.

>Paul wrote about his failing health and unimposing stature regularly.
Yes, AND? I never said that Paul was an Essene, I said that Paul probably wasn't a Pharisee (in all likelihood he was a Sadduccee), but in response to this user's claim,that the Pharisees were the "Jewiest Jews", and said no, the Essenes are the "Jewiest Jews".

Because outside Josephus, Pliny, and Philo, there is.... what exactly?

Sadducees:
The Sadducees were priestly and aristocratic families who interpreted the law more literally
than the Pharisees. They dominated the Temple worship and its rites, including the sacrificial
cult. The Sadducees only recognized precepts derived directly from the Torah as binding.
They, therefore, denied the concept of the immortality of the soul, the resurrection of the body
, and the existence of angels. The Sadducees were unpopular with the common people.

Pharisees:
The Pharisees, unlike the Sadducees, maintained the validity of the oral as well as the written
law. They were flexible in their interpretations and willing to adapt the law to changing
circumstances. They believed in an afterlife and in the resurrection of the dead. By the
first century C.E., the Pharisees came to represent the beliefs and practices of the majority
of Palestinian Jewry.

Essenes:
The Essenes were a separatist group, some of whom formed an ascetic monastic community
and retreated to the wilderness of Judea. They shared material possessions and occupied
themselves with disciplined study, worship, and work. They practiced ritual immersion and
ate their meals communally. One branch did not marry.

Josephus: Antiquities(Whiston) 18:1:6

But of the fourth sect of Jewish Philosophy Judas the Galilaean was the author. These men agree in all things with the Pharisaic notions; but they have an inviolable attachment to liberty; and they say that God is to be their only Ruler and Lord. They also do not value dying any kinds of death, nor indeed do they heed the deaths of their relations and friends, nor can any such fear make them call any man Lord; and since this immoveable resolution of theirs is well known to a great many, I shall speak no further about that matter; nor am I afraid that any thing I might have said of them should be disbelieved, but rather fear, that what I have said is beneath the resolution they show when they undergo pain; and it was in Gesius Florus's time that the nation began to grow mad with this distemper, who was our procurator; and occasioned the Jews to go wild with it by the abuse of his authority, and to make them revolt from the Romans.
These descriptions of how the Galileans were inured to pain match the descriptions given in the Jewish War of the Essene attitude to pain and death. Again we have confirmation that Galilaeans were a branch of the Essenes not the Pharisees.

The Zealots, first mentioned by Josephus as the fighters against the Romans in the Jewish rebellion of 66-73 AD, apparently were of major significance in Palestine during the whole of the period of the gospels so the single reference to them (Simon, the Zealot) looks suspicious. The failure of the gospels to feature either the Zealots or the Essenes while mentioning the other Jewish parties suggests that Essenes and Zealots have deliberately been left out of the story. Is it because the Nazarenes were a branch of the Essenes or the Zealots? Hyppolytus, writing about 230 AD, confirms that the Zealots were indeed a branch of the Essenes. The Galilaeans of the gospels were members of the same sect, not just people from Galilee.

The reason the Romans spent so much time and effort breaching Masada was to enact revenge upon the desert fighters who had attacked the, what, 5th legion?

I sure hope some day I can learn something from you. That would be awesome.

Let's see. Paul wrote he was a pharisee.

Philippians 3
If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

What evidence do you bring to the table, again?

I've only read it in one book by a guy named Rubenstein

So I'm not sure if it's legit, or just another merchant trick to undermine the true faith

>How has Christianity changed since it's conception

It didn't.

>Did they change the texts

No. Read a book on Textual Criticism.

>Ishtar/Easter

This is a meme, Easter is and English word derived from old english Eostore (which itself may be derived from Ishtar).

But the Romans did not speak English and called it Pascha, after the Passover.

The majority of today's Christianity can be called Pauline Christianity.

>Did they change the texts

No

>or just the church

Not essentially. When it comes to theological things the ancient apostolic churches like the Catholics or the Orthodox have taught pretty much what they always have.

You say that like you have no idea Paul met with the risen Messiah for years before embarking on any successful mission trips.

You say that like you have an alternative explanation for how Paul knew more about Jesus, and more about the New Covenant prophesied in Jeremiah 31 than all the other apostles combined.

You say that not realizing that Paul is the greatest of all of the apostles, preaching to 98% of the world.

You say that like the jealous Jew that you are.

No, it's not a meme at all. Easter came from Ishtar far earlier than anyone was even living in England.

I don't think the concept of Ishtar is 50,000 years old you mong

About 4500 years.

In truth, not in the bullshit that you were taught.

A better question would be, "How has Christianity stayed the same since it's conception?"

>You say that like you have no idea P*aul met with the risen """"Messiah"""" for years before embarking on any successful mission trips.

He made it up.

>You say that like you have an alternative explanation for how P*aul knew more about J*esus, and more about the New Covenant prophesied in Jeremiah 31 than all the other apostles combined.

He fabricated the events.

>You say that not realizing that P*aul is the greatest of all of the apostles, preaching to 98% of the world.

"Lie"

noun
noun: lie; plural noun: lies

1. an intentionally false statement.
"they hint rather than tell outright lies"

synonyms: untruth, falsehood, fib, fabrication, deception, made-up story, trumped-up story, invention, piece of fiction, fiction, falsification, falsity, fairy story/tale, cock and bull story, barefaced lie; More
antonyms: truth, fact
"Lie"

verb
verb: lie; 3rd person present: lies; past tense: lied; past participle: lied; gerund or present participle: lying

1. Tell a lie or lies.
"why had Ashenden lied about his visit to London?"

synonyms: say something untrue, tell an untruth, tell a lie, tell a falsehood, fib, fabricate, invent a story, make up a story, falsify, dissemble, dissimulate, bear false witness; More
antonyms: tell the truth

>You say that like the jealous Jew that you are.

>

So, again, you bring nothing to the table but your own biases and prejudices.

Not even close