BOOK & READING RECOMMENDATION THREAD

title says it all.

Whats a interesting read about the Normans in Britain?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/QBu2eM9r
goodreads.com/book/show/832989.Futurism
vimeo.com/126659029
mega.nz/#!49oQjRpR!XwpzfhQ0m76R2ieDRJBbC7LzCOXRRfNmKaPLJTvgtd4
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=B0BFD571C030A88C9F2ACD6A42BA2E2D
mega.nz/#!JtBUDKDA!YAy-NeT7VtsgI2enNwm8nb6UGQkDEz0fuwskHLlgkSo
mega.nz/#!Ix5xGaiC!HwJG68eqryqWEDc5ekVSeZzcIVJQlyqqDOjuVkn0JWI
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=0A04C837AFE7914FCE8B3FEDF28AC9E7
mega.nz/fm/c1AhCZqQ
mega.nz/#F!sphnwJIC!mzAWxfgMab_CIsw47wt91w
mega.nz/#F!o9BjCTrb!fT_8_xiavKWYz0xERhygDg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this will help OP
pastebin.com/QBu2eM9r

try OP unless there is a reason you wouldn't want Book & Reading advice from the literature board.

Any good history books that got an audiobook? Been listening to some good stuff on my commute but I haven't found much in a few areas.
Particularly interested in:
France from the start of the 100 Years War to the start of the French Revolution.
Spain from Reconquista to Age of Discovery.
HRE anything after Fredrick II.

i made a thread the other day about reading audiobooks and i tried to start to make one on my book on the mexican dicatator porfirio diaz. it's not related to your topic though kek.

>unless there is a reason you wouldn't want Book & Reading advice from the literature board.
Veeky Forums is even more pseudo/his/ than Veeky Forums. Recc Reading threads are actually pretty common on Veeky Forums. You should lurk more.

Most well regarded academic books have an audio book and of course nearly every pop one does as well. Check Google Scholar for literature and then check amazon for audio.

1066: year of the conquest

because he is interested in history books, not general literature, and this is a history board?

would you go to Veeky Forums to ask for a book about cooking, photography or cars when you can go to the specific boards?

Blah blah blah.
And how are you contributing? Shut your cunt mouth.

>doesn't contribute and tells people to go elsewhere instead of the proper board
>complains that others refuting you are not contributing

I didn't tell anyone to go anywhere, that was my first comment to this thread.
I just couldn't stay quiet when I saw such an annoying post.

What's a good general introduction to the Byzantine empire?

Can someone rec me a book about the Russian colonization of Alaska? Suddenly feeling very interested in that.

norwich short history of byzantium

Anything good on the Algerian War?

I think I mostly read pop-history, but here are some of my favorites. Feel free to tell me if I'm a pleb or not.

All The Shah's Men
Seven Pillars of Wisdom
The Devil in the White City
Persian Fire
Diplomacy by Kissinger

Does anyone have any recommendations for books on futurism, the art movement? Googling futurism books mostly brings up books about technology and such.

I found this book, but I don't know anything about it
goodreads.com/book/show/832989.Futurism

Why are you people still reading books in this day and age?

>I just couldn't stay quiet when I saw such an annoying post.

You're pretty easily annoyed, anonymous, I can hardly imagine what other threads you can't help but reply to.

Pls respond

Just finished The Habsburg Monarchy 1809-1918 by AJP Taylor. Good book albeit a very thick and difficult read, very much focused almost entirely on the administrative and policy dimensions of the empire. Frustratingly little on foreign policy, cultural/intellectual developments, economic changes, nor the rise of nationalism - all despite heavily referencing them. Still got good insight into how the empire met its doom though, its intractable paradoxes in administration and reconciling ethnic tensions, how the start of WWI was its mortal wound, and how it weirdly contributed strongly to Yugoslavism.

John Julius Norwich's A Short History of Byzantium, which is essentially an abridged version of his three volumes on it. Personally I would just jump straight to the three volumes.

Also fuck the Hungarians, they deserved every bit of Trianon.

To expand our knowledge in niche subjects?

Highest level of learning lad, everything else is a runner-up.

i'll post a few pics 4u

Have you read this book? If so what did you think about it?

i have not. I wonder if a library would have it cause aeropittura is pretty cool imo. cheapest book i can find online is like 50 dollars otherwise...maybe we can split the price and one of us can scan it?

I doubt any libraries in my country have it. Are you interested in futurism?

Yes I'm interested in the movement definitely. I feel like it's very underrated in the anglo world compared to other modernist movements. I also happen to have these books because i'm in the process of making charts covering all aspects of italian fascist history, and futurist movement was a precursor and fellow traveler to fascism

Nice. Then you might like this video. It mentions futurism a little bit. It talks about Marianetti and the facist influence on this art show.

vimeo.com/126659029

you sound like an unpleasant person

thanks, that was a nice little video. i'm actually going to be near a library in like an hour so maybe i'll pic up some books on futurism and scan them

Nice. I'll be waiting here.

i got some books but i gotta scan em

Anyone else have issues with reading historical books and only remembering 3 or 4 highlights out of the entire thing?

That's my only gripe with historical reads. They load you down with info and it's like cramming for a test

agreed entirely. short too, which is convenient

Anybody else /hardcover/ here? I really, really hate paperback and always try and find a hardcover version if at all available. I'll spend that extra money, idgaf.

>TFW Pre-ordering Landmark Caesar Commentaries in a glorious 1000 page hardcover

It does depend though. I kinda like the convienient price and portability of a paperback, but if I'm gonna get a huge book or a personally important one, I'd like a Hardcover. I kept all my hardcover Redwall novels from when I was a kid for a reason.

>Redwall
Mah nigga.

But in actuality, I'm basically the same. If it's an important topic or a serious work, I'll always opt for HC, but if it's just a novelty that I have slight interest in, I'll just get a cheapo paperback.

I'm kind of nervous right now because I ordered a copy of Libido Dominandi, and there was literally only 1 hard cover copy available only on Amazon (ebay and B&N didn't have it) and it's in used condition which, according to Amazon, may include writing/notes and worn spine and such. Contacted the seller twice to ask for specifics, totally ignored, but I really wanted that damn book, so I just pulled the trigger and took a gamble here.

If there's writing inside, I really, really hope it's just pencil, because that I can erase. I'm going to be pissed if I shelled out $92 for a garbage book.

No, that sounds like a pretty normal thing. Unless you devote yourself with time and meticulous focus and repeated study, your brain is only going to devote resources to remember the important/relevant parts at the time.

I'm pretty sure that it remembers other stuff but buries it and pulls it out only contextually when you're following a certain train of thought. That's at least how my brain works.

a savage war of peace

Could someone give me a quick rundown of this book

Arthashastra By Kautilya/Chanakya

What books did you get?

hold up gimme a sec

see if you can download this, futuristanon. It's only the first 50 pages scanned but i'll do the rest soon

mega.nz/#!49oQjRpR!XwpzfhQ0m76R2ieDRJBbC7LzCOXRRfNmKaPLJTvgtd4
woops

Anything on Hawaiian history?

so salty

where do you guys download epub/mobi books?

Why pray to Calliope, when I have Clio?

dont you take notes? what is the point of reading if you arent going to actually learn?

I'm currently reading Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said.

It's both enlightening and outrageously retarded.

>It's both enlightening and outrageously retarded.
give me a rundown why

Currently working on The Landmark Herodotus. Surprisingly more readable than I imagined, especially the stuff on the Persian Empire. Everything about Egyptian history except for Amasis was a bit too dry for me. I've just gotten to the plot of Darius against the Magi.

Next I'll be reading "From Alexander to Actium" by Peter Green. I've only a scant knowledge of the Hellenistic world so this should be interesting. Then after that either Ronald Syme or Adrian Goldsworthy

Seeking good historical texts on:

>Richelieu
>Louis XIV and absolutism
>French foreign policy during the Cold War (especially under de Gaulle)

Also, any one-volume French political history. I'm doing an exchange program in Paris this fall and want to get some foundation beforehand.

Thank you so much for this.

Vaka Moana

np. i also got from the library "the futurist moment" and a book on the futurist artist "boccioni"

the last book i found a free download here so i won't scan it
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=B0BFD571C030A88C9F2ACD6A42BA2E2D
i've got a copy of from online which i've put here
mega.nz/#!JtBUDKDA!YAy-NeT7VtsgI2enNwm8nb6UGQkDEz0fuwskHLlgkSo
and here
mega.nz/#!Ix5xGaiC!HwJG68eqryqWEDc5ekVSeZzcIVJQlyqqDOjuVkn0JWI
futurism an anthology
libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=0A04C837AFE7914FCE8B3FEDF28AC9E7

by last book i meant i got from the library "modernism at the barricades" but i found a pdf free online

>Veeky Forums is even more pseudo/his/ than Veeky Forums
but Veeky Forums talks about fiction as well

Bump

here's a library of books i'm assembling
mega.nz/fm/c1AhCZqQ

david h price weaponizing anthropology is really great

what's it about

Can't you guess by the name.

i want to know what his argument is and what examples he uses and why or how we'd "weaponize" anthropology. does he mean making policy prescriptions?

bump

Landmark Herodotus is an excellent book. The Histories is one of my favorite books of all time. The Landmark Thucydides isn't nearly as good unless you are fascinated by the Peloponessian War.

quoting OP's post so more anons can see my library
see the french history folder on my mega. adding more works

Bump

Bump

Any good non-modernist perspectives on nationalism that aren't /pol/ tier? I've read Hobsbawn and some of Anderson but I don't necessary buy the idea that national identities are wholly modern inventions.

Check my mega section on nationalism i have exactly books on that topic user

mega.nz/#F!sphnwJIC!mzAWxfgMab_CIsw47wt91w

Thank you!

Any warfare analysis?

what do you mean by that?

Boswell's Life of Johnson is top tier comfy.

ok, in this link you can see it all finally
mega.nz/#F!o9BjCTrb!fT_8_xiavKWYz0xERhygDg

Savage War of Peace

All the Shah's Men is great. Not a lot of context but a great minute by minute account of the CIA coup in Iran

A World Undone for WWI

Ghost Wars for the US in Afghanistan pre-9/11

What Good is Grand Strategy? For US Cold War policy.

The Fate of Africa for post-collapse Africa

The Cage for Sri Lanka and the Tamil Tigers

mobilism

Bump

Read it because an user in an Africa thead reccomended it, probably one of the best books I've read in awhile.

Seconded.

post the size of your book collections in linear feet of shelf space (or meters if you're lame)

Well, what did Edward say?

would Veeky Forums recommend "The New Cambridge Medieval History"? is it any good.

comprehensive and easy to read, but the new cambridge history spans like 15 volumes with at least 700 pages each. it's better as a reference work i think, though i've seen anons here say that they've read all the volumes of the cambridge histories of japan

Spanish Civil War recommendations please

Or should I say "porque"