Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Thoughts on this podcast? I've never been interested in history until I started listening to this guy. What do you guys think? Is his shit accurate? Where should I go from here?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu1qGuQnljU_p8Qk5FrjDVTQthfAKFiRf¶ms=EAEYATgBSAFYBmILRVpNem5RREg3T2NoBA%3D%3D&v=rJBqBzp0iEI&mode=NORMAL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>listen to it 4 years ago
>sounds cool
>forget about it

>listen to it again 2 weeks ago
>Dan unironically talks like a retard, his vocabulary is at a tenth-grade level at best, the fakeness of his acting is downright hilarious

One day you will hear ''it'' and you'll just discard him forever and ever.

>Where should I go from here?
What about actual books?

I honestly think that carlin posting is one of the most clever memes on this board.

These threads always use the same picture and pose the same question in nearly the same manner.

Maybe this is a longshot and I'm crazy, but if I'm right, I absolutely hate it and how subversive it is.

He is shit, all his shit is shit.

Hardcore History is a fun introduction to history, faggots like just get their rocks off on acting superior on the internet. If you are looking for another podcast I recommend The History of Rome by Mike Duncan.

I find it very enjoyable. But I don't view it as a podcast to learn history from, but rather just a way to put you in a nice mood to think about history you already know. Maybe you'll pick up some new facts, maybe not, but the appeal to me is just drowning in the ambiance and listening to Dan quote unquote.

does anyone know where i get get his episodes that are behind a paywall?

On his website.

>it's another ''a barely literate user recommends worthless literature to a fully illiterate user'' episode

OP here, this is honestly only the second or third time Ive been to this board. I didnt know he gets brought up here at all

You can get them from his website or iTunes

>his vocabulary is at a tenth-grade level at best, the fakeness of his acting is downright hilarious
Its a good thing I listen to him to hear about history and not to hear pretentious language and exanples of good acting

Congratulations, you are the most smartest person in the whole thread. We are all so very proud of you.

>listening to podcasts magically makes you illiterate

I know you don't have a job, but you can't stick your nose in a fucking book driving to work. And I know you don't exercise, but try going to the gym with a book too.

Podcasts and audiobooks are excellent, it's not everyone else's fault you've got a stick so far up your ass you don't understand that it's the content and not the medium that's important.

sorry, i meant for free

You can get in on The Pirate Bay

>Is his shit accurate?
Not any different from any other podcaster on history, I often come across problems with his narrative, he's very American in how he sees the ancient world, so he's totally Jew glossing events. In his world though, he cannot have an opinion on some areas, because of Jews.

Maybe this is the root of his fascination with torture, self torture.

Hardcore History is a pretty god tier podcast despite what every other amateur historian on this site will tell you.

If you're looking for other good history podcasts I highly reccomend anything by Mike Duncan
>The History of Rome
>Revolutions
tHoR is a bona fide classic, and Revolutions is really great too, his series on Simon Bolivar and the spanish american revolutions were some of my favorites

If you want podcasts less about the raw facts of history and more of what living through that history was like I reccomend
>The British History Podcast
>The China History Podcast

>The History of India Podcast
This one isn't nearly as good as the other two but there are surprisingly few podcasts on history in the subcontinent so I think it's worth a listen anyway.

Most of what I can reccomend is more about ancient or medieval history, if you want something more modern
>The History of WWII Podcast
I haven't extensively listened through this one and the episode lengths vary pretty wildly but it's still a pretty extensive look at WW2 albeit a disorganized one.

Do you have any criticisms or do you just think he's bad for no reason?

Here are a few which are on YouTube
m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLu1qGuQnljU_p8Qk5FrjDVTQthfAKFiRf¶ms=EAEYATgBSAFYBmILRVpNem5RREg3T2NoBA%3D%3D&v=rJBqBzp0iEI&mode=NORMAL

I like it. It's entertaining and makes for a great topical overview of lots of historical events, many of which don't otherwise tend to get a lot of publicity. His viewpoint as an American with the sort of hippy libertarianism typical of Eugene (not really how else to describe it; it's quite common here and I've never come across it elsewhere, maybe his personality rubs off on people) tends to bleed through, but he does his homework and his podcasts are both factually correct for the most part, as far as I can tell. If anyone has a few examples of things he got wrong, I'd be interested to see them.

thanks

I couldn't listen to it, something about his voice drove me nuts. He has this kind of high strung quality to it.

What are some Veeky Forums recommend podcasts?
I've been listening to BBC's History Extra but i'd like to try some others.

Pirate some The Great Courses from The Learning Company. Shit is so cash.

Patrick Wyman's Fall of Rome

>December 7, 1941
>Now folks
>Ageen
>Ben, -if there is a Ben-

>Picture again that Statue of Liberty in the sand

It's extremely neutral and dry, sometimes even a little revisonist.

>Remember, I'm not a historian, just a fan of history
>Now HERODOTUS wrote about this - and I quote

>None of his work is original research
>He cites his sources including translations in the show notes
Where's the problem?

it's accessible and popular, and therefore pleb-tier

>so he's totally Jew glossing events
>he cannot have an opinion on some areas, because of Jews.

this literally makes no sense

okay so im listening to his Khans podcast
>would you leave out the holocaust from the history of wehrmacth
>yes because it has nothing to do with it

this amount of historical illiteracy discredits him

the main problem hes not covering a subject or duno, sharing thoughts
hes just talking, jumping from one topic to another, using big words, making comparisons that make no sense

i dont want to call it trash, but its like fairytale teller for adults, better than listening to some commercial radio while you are driving back home from work

In Our time is great. The panelists are actual academics who do a great job of introducing and explaini g complicated topics all in the span of 45 minutes. And if they get carried away and start sperging out, the host bullies them in a very entertaining manner.

>Hardcore History is a fun introduction to history

Did you never go to primary school or something? We learn about the Civil War and other major historical events by fucking 3rd grade at even the shittiest public schools.

>a stadium full of people