us-store.warlordgames.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gods, I hate Gauls...

Ultima Underworld

First Person: mount and blade
Tactics : Total war
Strategy: Europa Universalis/other paradox

red orchestra/rising storm is bretty gud

I want an RPG or Sandbox style game set in the Bronze age.

World in Flames.

there is very little love for the bronze age :(

what was that one tv show that would show famous historical battles and so on with total war? it was back in the day...like mid 2000s i think

there were quite a few of those. i saw one with Lindbergh in it.

What the fuck is that ugly crap?

>Not having the chance to virtually ride a chariot into a legion of Hittites or lead Sargon's forces.

Life is not complete

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

Rule the Waves

moddb.com/mods/age-of-bronze

Best i could do.

Have fun user.

Graviteam Tactics

Does Rome: Total War still stand the test of time? Has it aged well?

Yes, I believe the same, but here are some clarifications on what I think:

Playing Single Soldier/General: Mount and Blade
Battlefield Map: Total War
Campaign Map: Europa Universalis/Crusader Kings/Other Paradox Series

For me, it has, but I mostly only play it with a serious modification, such as Europa Barbarorum, or Rome: Total Realism. For the Barbarian Invasion expansion pack, I would play any one of the Invasio Barbarorum series. I prefer Rome 1's interface and control styles compared to Rome 2's approach, which at times seem quite confusing and unfriendly. Rome 2 is graphically superior, but Rome 1's campaign map playing style is better for me, most of all.

>stand the test of time
There is only one franchise that has stood the test of time...

decisive battles. Great show, no surprise the history channel didnt keep it around

How is Europa Barbarorum for an amateur-ish player like me? It just looks scary to start anything.

Play the fuck out of the vanilla before starting EU. The mod makes the AI better and makes getting an economy going great harder.

I like the fact that they have an autistic adherence towards the faction names like Hayastan for Armenia and Romanoi for Rome.

yeah, it's fine.

FPS
>Day of Infamy
>Verdun (to an extent)
>Mount and Blade with mods
RTT
>TW: Napoleon with Darth Mod
>TW: Rome 2 with Divide et Impera
>Medieval 2
>Men of War Assault Squad
Strategy
>Europa Universalis IV
>HoI 3
>Victoria 2
>Banished
>DEFCON
>Tropico 4/5

Yeah, I first played it like 5 or so years after it came out and I got obsessed with it

It definitely puts you into the time period. Honestly, I'd rather have a game with Lugoae (in the ancient Celtic Gaul language) rather than a generic English name like Spear Warband. That's one reason I prefer Europa Barbarorum's historical naming approach, over Rome: Total Realism's more English-centric naming practices, unless they updated those in recent years.

It's not bad if you start off as the Romans or the Carthaginians, especially on medium campaign/medium battles settings, but it would still take time to get used to the system. I have mostly played M/M campaigns for years, due to my slower expansion (mostly due to roleplaying), but I have recently switched to hard/medium as the Romans, and it's making a better challenge for the more expansionistic play style.

>Mount and blade.
>Historical
I can't seem to find Calradia in any map of the world.

mods twit

by the way your epidermis is showing

Mods could be historical, though. There are a few medieval ones and ancient ones, as well as Napoleonic Wars I'm aware of.

*unsheathes berserkers*
GET FUCKED ROMANFAG

I really liked the premise of the Wargame series, although I don't know if people still play Air Land Battle or Red Dragon.
It's a shame that the balance was always a little bit fucky, so you could have viable multiplayer strategies like rushing with only helicopter born infantry (which would survive with rocket launcher when the chopper was shot down) and just exterminating everything in your path.

Away with you vile beggar

Rhodok scum

Skyrim

Man, these threads are solid, I love Veeky Forums.

ITT retards who don't know what a wargame is

Paradox is fucking garbage.

>best historical wargame?
Any grognard wargame. TWfags and Paradoxfags need not apply.

Is a solid contender for best overall, though I find Grigsby to be better even if it is front focused.

close combat series

Paradox games aren't historical*
Because actual historical games would be a fucking bore to play

Well you should be able to make a fun game without going complete bordergore

Not really. Nostalgiafags talk about how great it is but I always found the interface super clunky. The inability to drag and drop units to re-organize your troops is a bitch, and the camera controls are beyond trash.

It's difficult because units take two and a half years to react to your commands, and the AI is pretty awful. I've had cohorts standing five feet away from an embattled unit of Hoplites, refusing to throw their javelins, or pikemen who simply refused to get into formation as the Persian cavalry came thundering down.

Attila is better in every possible way.

I like it, but that's probably because it's incredibly arcadey in comparison to everything after it. M2 is completely fucked on the campaign without mods. Empire is boring with 18th century warfare and clunky/bugged beyond saving. S2 is good enough but everyone all rook and pray same since the scale is so small.

Of course, I'm just glad to be able to talk about any of them since /twg/ is now Warhammer central. I can't even talk about how my light infantry rifle-butted a 12-Iber Howitzer like a baseball in between all the gwfags.

>Not really. Nostalgiafags talk about how great it is but I always found the interface super clunky. The inability to drag and drop units to re-organize your troops is a bitch, and the camera controls are beyond trash.
I found the new games far worse in that aspect.
If you select your units and click in the new games, they don't keep formations.
They form a line.
The hotkeys for close formation, guard mode etc seem to have been removed.
The campaign map has been simplified far too much.

While I'm a fan of Paradox games, I don't think you can really call them wargames at all. I really hope they make a sequel for Victoria 2, hopefully when they make a new iteration of the game engine.

You know its piss easy to mod rtw1 right? Especially something like changing in-game unit names.

I always assumed they meant weapons, combat, armors and the like.

You have to either group them or move them with the keyboard.

The controls in the new games are far superior even if the gameplay itself is arcadey trash.

>eu4
>not blobbing
wew lad
but MEIOU and taxes is far more fun than vanilla
amen but I'm an addict

I am a proud Late Romeaboo so Total War Attila is the only thing that scratches my particular itch

bit of both, all total war games are shit to some extent

>not playing 1257
wew lad

I was told to ue warhammers to knock out my opponenets but it just keeps on killing them, why

>playing as G*rmanics
why
Also
>greek fire in 4th century
>varangian guard in 4th century

WHEN WILL THE FALL OF THE EAGLES TEAM DO THE FUCKING CELTS REEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'M TIRED OF THESE WEIRD TARTAN CAPES

Look at the weapon info, behind every damage indicator is a letter. It needs to have a b for blunt damage to do knockouts.

No one yet mentioned Company of Heroes, or Men of War

Persia: Total War when? I want to play a campaign starting from being a nomadic Iranic tribe on the Eurasian Steppes to the Medes, Achaemenids, Media-Atropatene, Arsacids, and Sassanids.

>sassanids
>persian

The controls in the new games were one of the things that put me off.
I'll give Rome 2 another go once i finish my current RTW Julii campaign.
Is Rome 2 still bugged and shit?

red orchestra darkest hour is great.

I like Empire total war a lot, but then I don't know much about games. Used to play a lot of Cossacks back in the old days.

I heard Tyranny is based on the bronze age somewhat, and it's an RPG with good reviews

Why would I play that when I can look at a periodic table?

Time Commanders on BBC.

They had a recent revival

atWar
VERY comfy in its prime, still fun if you enjoy chatting with international teenagers

Sim-city esque games are not historical nigga

What does MEIOU n Taxes add to the game?
>implying europa barbarorum 1 and 2 aren't grognard tier.

That's like, 1000 years of history or more.

You are aware that border gore is entirely historical right?

not in the way that paradox presents it.
>after 200 years my empire stretches over large stretches of land that were hard to historically conquer.
Also non euro diplomacy is shit.

LONG MAY HE REIGN

>DEFCON
My nigga
Ever get a perfect win?

No it's been patched and isn't the cluster fuck it once was, but saying that it still isn't 100% perfect.

I've been wanting to get into Hail Caesar or Black Powder for a while, but I dont know anyone in my entire city who plays them.

But the models are nice, take a look:

us-store.warlordgames.com/

It might be fun to just make dioramas out of them.

Honesetly, I enjoy Rome II more than Rome I from a battle mechanics perspective.

The UI, to me at least, feels clunky in the older TW games.

Particularly the camera. After exclusively playing Shogun 2, Attila and Rome II, going back to Rome I and Medieval II is a chore to deal with the camera, having to swoop your mouse in the direction you want it to go is annoying.

Why not just go in settings and switch the controls to FPS mode (WASD) to move the camera, but yeah Rome and Medieval are starting to age a bit.

Rome 2 with DEI is great. the newest version with a new pop mechanic is on the offical forum

>I enjoy Rome II more than Rome I

kys

u vs me laddo

wel yuor a nigger and nedi to kill yourself u beta cuck jewnignog kike rot in hell FAGGOT

masybe yu wnant a mor REDDIT game?

GET THF UCK OFF MY SITE NIGGER

>switch the controls to FPS mode (WASD) to move the camera
Holy fug why did i not think of this.

Thanks, may try out M2 again.

>Persia
>Alexander
>Rome
>Mongols
>Timurids
>Ottomans
>Etc
>Etc
>Britain

You're right, blobbing has no place in history.

I still like it, it's simple, fun, and modable

They won't from what I've read. Victoria and Rome are dead ends it seems, sadly.

Charge now!

Anti aliasing is a thing brah

World in conflict was a pretty good RTS based around a cold war gone hot.

It operated on a platoon level, online multiplayer was outstanding. You can still pick it up on steam but apparently mp is nearly empty these days

My point was that in eu4, blobbing lets you win and playing tall is hell because of changed merc costs and radically scaling investmenet costs in provinces
>dude just like split people along cultural lines they'll never try to rebel
>oh fuck why are the peasants rebelling they're not allowed to do that right?

Give The King of Dragon Pass a crack.

with Mandate of Heaven you can have tribuitary sstates which help
Also japan is really fun to play

yeah it was great but horrrendusly unrealistic, T-80s coming in by airdrop? on teh continental USA?

get wargame red dragon, much better attempt to simulate late-cold-war operations

Always and forever will be.

>I'm retarded

this one

Good god, same. I would like to be a hoplite in literally any game not called Dark Souls for once, without just being a generic warrior with different stats instead of a distinct playstyle.