Anyone else here investing in ETFs or Growth Funds?

Anyone else here investing in ETFs or Growth Funds?

I started putting a few hundred in a Vanguard EFT a few months ago from each paycheck ($VYM) and have been making decent gains for the amount of time I've had it in. If the trend on this continues as it has over the last few years, it seems like a good way to generate supplemental passive income.

Anyone else here investing in something similar and want to share stories/advice with one another?

Other urls found in this thread:

portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/golden-butterfly/
bittwenty.com/
etfdb.com/compare/lowest-expense-ratio/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want you to tell me more about vanguard eft and other sources to educate myself with
>because I'm a baaby and need to be spoon fed

I work in capital markets. I come here to troll bitcucks. Its good youre understanding the value of putting money away in the market. Only issue is central banks and markets getting greedier have pushed asset valuations higher, meaning they will correct at some point in next few years. So you could experience a 20-40% draw down at some point.

Just so you know. But honestly google around.

What is the symbol on Polo or Trexx?

Memes aside, you're fucking retarded.

The only correct allocation ever is:

67% VTI
13% VXUS
20% BND

I can mathematically prove this mix will be on the efficiency frontier and will have the highest risk/return ratio with the lowest expenses.

You plebs owe me. I just saved you years of trying to beat the market. Sell that stupid dividend yield fund, you'll notice it doesn't outperform market.

Do you want to know about ETFs in general, or specifically about Vanguard ETFs?

In simplest terms, ETFs are kind of like a miniature prediversified stock portfolio, where stocks in certain sectors are chosen for you by a brokerage house.

I chose Vanguard, because they have the lowest expense ratios in the industry, they charge no money to trade ETFs and have a history of beating the market.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not a panicky investor, but I keep my assests fairly liquid so I can pull out if things get too hairy.

I run a two ETF portfolio in my Roth IRA

> 90% VTI
> 10% BND

seems to be a good buy/hold strategy

>BND

is this a joke

Both are good ratios desu

Rude and wrong. I can do better.

closed end funds are much better. vanguard is trash, m8

I have $3k saved just sitting in an account doing nothing. What should I do with it?

>I can mathematically prove this mix will be on the efficiency frontier and will have the highest risk/return ratio with the lowest expenses.
Oy, check this badboy out:
portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/golden-butterfly/

40% in bonds and 20% in gold? Give me a break.

That data is not correct and is cherry picked

You hold 10% in BND because of the efficiency frontier. You need a risk free rate in order for the tangent of your asset allocation to meet risk/return metrics.

Please research finance before coming to a board about finance.

Just want to add, I started out doing this too. I switched into some VXUS and higher BND to lower my risk.

You should out perform me some years based on this port but I believe my risk adjusted return will be higher.

Money is money at the end of the day, so if you come out ahead even while taking risk, you win IMO

Nothing but 3x ETFs. Beta Slippage is just a meme perpetuated so the whales can accumulate more shares.
Check out this shit, it's literally the holy grail of normie investing.

SPXL
TQQQ
UDOW

The trifecta. Plain and simple. Only way you'll get fucked is if the market crashes, but Yellen said it's not going to happen and we both know that old saint would never tell a lie.

You're welcome.

You should invest it in yourself. Maybe use it as a way to start slowly building a habit of setting aside capital into an account, but at 3k, there isn't much you can do besides invest in yourself.

Investing in yourself means getting knowledge, certification, whatever to improve your earning power. Whether thats taking courses or buying a suit for a to go to an interview at a higher paying job. Those sort of returns while intangible are very important in the grand scheme of things.

In most cases ETF providers are irrelevant. When it comes to large ETFs, in most cases all big 3 ETF providers, Black Rock, SPDR and Vanguard have a competing factor. I would look at MER.

Everyone says that and thinks that. The truth is you wont know when the the real "Crash" comes. Whether its going to be a 20%-40% draw down or just a 10% draw down. So all I am saying is be cautious when considering that whatever return you're making in a short period of time is not sustainable over the long term.

How is it cherry picked? 1970-2016, and gold wasn't traded on US exchanges before 1970.

Modern portfolio theory doesn't really work in current market because of central bank intervention. Diversification is important across sector/asset classes for sure. MPT is bunk.

bittwenty.com/

do crypto funds count?

>portfoliocharts.com/portfolio/golden-butterfly/
Only problem is past returns =/= future returns. Reasons bonds did well is because there were lower and lower interest rates and central bank buying, the world was fundamentally shifted post 09. Having some gold/PM exposure is never a bad thing but I would limit it.

cool site though.

What are a few good Vanguard Index funds that you like?

I'm looking at a list of them right now and there are a ton

tried researching and picking stocks for a while. Gave up after shitty returns. VTI has treated me well since then, just throw all my stock money in there and forget about it

Between SPDR/Blackrock/Vanguard there is a marginal different I would look for lowest expense ratio (MER) for most index funds in the US that are large enough its 0.05-.5%(MAX)

>Reasons bonds did well is because there were lower and lower interest rates
True dat. 20 years from now they may be saying that stocks did so well from 2000-2015 because of the boomers desperately throwing money into their retirement/brokerage accounts to catch up.

lower returns than all btc and more volatility. congrats, you've found the single way to make index funds pointless

Awesome thank you for your help?

Is this what the old biz was like? I'm interested in crypto to play with like 100 dollars in, but I think we've collectively taken it too far

*Awesome thank you for your help!

>lower returns than all btc

I don't think so, Bit20 has treated me pretty well over the past months (50% returns) but to be fair that was in May/June when everything was booming.

Here's a good site I found for lowest expense ratio funds

etfdb.com/compare/lowest-expense-ratio/

Ive been on Veeky Forums over a decade, went to /pol/ when it first got started, then frequented a pre-Veeky Forums board which was on something called intelme

Old biz was better, but not really.. This is the internet please verify everything yourself and assume 95% of responses are from people that are: stupid, trolling, malicious. This includes me.
Bond prices only have a little bit more to go higher.. What happens now is they either trade side ways or at the very least sell off 5-15% as yields rise. But if you wait and buy you can get some decent appreciation when another recession comes on. Nothing crazy but a 5-7 CAGR on treasuries wouldnt be out of the question during this period.

it can be more profitable (and more volatile) in bull markets but alt indices die in bear territory. For the love of your gains just hold btc until things stop dropping

I know I'm asking to get burned, but the Bit20 market behaves in a manner no other digital asset behaves, for once it's massively overvalued and on a normal day it usually sells for at least double (or even triple) it's real price.

You buy at a premium but you sell at an even higher premium.

market is going to correct in a year or two, just keep your assets liquid and wait for the downtrend.