Why is Islams symbol the moon?

Why is Islams symbol the moon?

Looks pretty dope if im honest

because Allah was a tribal moon deity worshipped in Mecca, just like Yahwe was a mountain deity dwelling in Mt. Sinai

AFAIK the ottomans stole it from someone else and then other Islamic communities stole it from the ottomans

it's not really "isliam's symbol" in the same way the cross is christianity's symbol.

Byzantines. Ottomans stole it from the Byzantines

It became famous because of its association with the Ottomans, who at their peak ruled all southeast Europe and all of the Middle East and North Africa except for Iran and Morocco.

It's a symbol with a long heraldic tradition in both the Christian and Muslim Medieval world. It was also used by the city of Constantinople I believe.

Leading to the Ottoman Empire adopting it as a sort of national symbol, with no relationship at all with Islam. In fact you could almost say it was a secular symbol.

Even today I think it is more the symbol of the Islamic world, or Islamdom, the rule of Islam. Rather than a true symbol of Islam.

It's not because Allah is a moon god, unlike the typical racist Christian retards will say. It's because a lot of our culture revolves around the lunar year instead of the solar year, and how we associate the moon with the worldly reality, the sun represents the heavenly reality.

Byzantines stole it from mesopotamia

The actual symbol of Islam is the shahada. There's also the octagon made up of two intersecting squares, like the star of David, but with squares, though I don't really know what it means.

Mind blown

this

It means Islam's symbol is covert 8-pointed star of chaos.

They have a crescent on top of every mosque and minaret, it pretty much is indeed ""isliam's symbol" in the same way the cross is christianity's symbol"
what said makes sense

Just because it intuitively 'makes sense' doesn't make it true. You can say that it makes sense that the Christians adopted the cross because "Christ" sounds like "cross", but that wouldn't be the actual reasoning. It 'makes sense' that the word is flat because if you look out your window it appears that way.

It was adopted far later into Islam's history, appropriated from other cultures, and had very little to do with Allah's polytheistic origins.

Black Sea greeks used the star and crescent.
Romans conquered them, Byzantines inherited the Romans.
Turks conquered the Byzantines, and the Arabs.
So now the Arabs inherited it from the Turks.

As a symbol, it has served pagans, christians and today islam.
It has zero meaning outside of "we've used it since forever!!".

Why the green colour, usually?

It's the favourite color of the Prophet.
Battle flags are usually just black or the shahada written on it.

do not know, muslim myself.
but i tell you the moon calendar is super important for islamic rituals.
the moon year is made up of 12 mounths, each mounth starts when the croisent is sighted and ends when the other croisent is sighted.
moongod shit is bullshit. because god is the god of the universe and beyond.
and this symbolism appeared after ottomans i believe, to counter the cross symbole.

see Its a Black Sea thing, and during Ottoman times it ended up in islamic symbolism. It is young, the arab empires didn't use it.

the twelve mounths my dude.

yes .
now country that use it were part of the ottoman empire, for example.
my Algeria
Tunisia
Turkey

Its aesthetic here. it represnts islam rule.

forgot pic
the red represnts the martyres blood in the war of 1954-1962

i have seen romans and some US states use it. doest that mean they were islamic. ithink not.

Islamic flags are SAD! tier.
They could have had so much cool motifs from the region but instead every flag is just a uniform block of colour or in the really exotic cases just a shahada on one of those colours. I guess you could say the same for modern European but we definitely had better heraldry back in the day

It is just a symbol to represent things so we don't have to give you 50 words explanations every time. We don't worship the thing, if that is what you're asking

Algeria is lit. it takes my eyes, compact, simple, meaningfull, great choice of colors, nice symbole. awesome.
this is the best of the best.
others are dull.

Fuck off jew.

The Arab moon gods were Amm and Yarikh. Allah literally means "the God". Christians call God Allah too.

t. Falestinian Christian

this is the ""arabic"" countries flags and maps. be autistic for a minute and chose which one is the best flag for a country, and which have the most aesthetic border.

>T-tthy stole it from the byzzzanteenws reeeeee roches gib back muh constantinople.

And before that it was a symbol of the Pagan goddess Artemis who in turn was copied from Anatolian and MEsoptamian mythology.

It isn't. It just became associated with it because of Ottoman use, but it wasn't really a part of early era worship. Same reason why the Islamic State doesn't use it ever, since they're trying to purify "true" Islam from later additions.

Curious. Do Palestinian Christians hate Israel as much as Palestinian Muslims or do they cuck to jews like Lebanese christian diaspora do?

It's an Ottoman/Turkish symbol and all the LARPing Muslim cunts need to give it back.

Because the cult of MAHOUND is a Saracen moon cult

M O O N G O D