Fencing and dueling

Is it autistic that I want to pick up fencing? Will it help in anyway in the real world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9A-aL49F0Jc
buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-best-story-about-three-real-live-musketeers-sa?utm_term=.swKVBnxaPm#.qi6492Q5gk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fencing is autism, but HEMA is full-blown aspergers

If you enjoy fencing as a hobby/sport, go for it.

It will give you zero help in anything though.

>Is it autistic that I want to pick up fencing?
No.

>Will [martial art] help in anyway in the real world?
Fuck no.

I mean it's better than trying to learn the katana right

could I repel an unarmed invader in my home with my rapier/saber?

What if some mean delinquents try to mess with me could I beat them up with my rapier

If it is an actual sharpened blade, sure.

You're better off lifting and then learning to wrestle or another similar martial art

>Wearing a rapier wherever you go
Extremely autistic and possibly illegal.

That's true, but it would be fun to try and take them on

>and possibly illegal
nah

youtube.com/watch?v=9A-aL49F0Jc

What if I worked at a museum and have my sword behind my desk at the front? Some sickos start sexually abusing mlady? Would I be able to win if at most they had some switchblades? I

Get a gun you autistic faggot. Actually don't. You'll probably ND into your own skull.

Blades beat bare fists any day of the week. But guns > all.

HEMAfag here. Fuck u, fite me irl!

Jokes aside, HEMA, if done competitively, is great fun and a good workout. But as others in here have said, it's technically useless for self-defence.

Wow amazing. He actual got Tyrone and is rape gang to leave them alone! What hero

>In Phoenix, Arizona
He could whip out a pair of machine guns and the law would be cool with it.

I'm gonna get a license sooner or later but it doesn't really interest me, like sword fighting does

>Is it autistic that I want to pick up fencing?
No.

>Will it help in anyway in the real world?
No.

You're not going to recreationally kill assailants and ne'er-do-wells. Please stop.

But wouldn't be cool? Cmon that would be L I T. What if I start larping as some renaissance era prince in public and some dude's try calling me gay. Whip out my rapeir and take em out!

Fencer here, you all are faggots. Fencing isn't a real martial art in that it's supposed to be practical - like most sports, it's evolved from its original form to the point that it's nothing like how it originated. In this case, the meta of each weapon is so different from a "real" fight that you'd be better off not fencing at all if you wanted to learn how to swordfight.

If you're looking for a sport that's nerdy enough to keep out the toxic super-competitive people that normie sports attract but still enough of a sport to keep the neckbeards out, then fencing is your thing. But it definitely isn't practical at all.

How come it wouldn't help? What if I have to defend myself with a baseball bat on the ground or some other stick implement. Fencing skills wouldn't help?

>>Will [martial art] help in anyway in the real world?
>Fuck no.
>t. never done any martial arts
Non-autistic martial arts like boxing and wrestling can help a great deal in a fight or similar situations.

>not hyper competitive autism
>sporty enough to keep neckbeards away
Sounds perfect for me. How come it can't help irl?

Not in that scenario, no. If you had to defend yourself with a smallsword against a guy armed with a smallsword however, you'd be able to kill him first, and be killed a moment later.

>Non-autistic martial arts like boxing and wrestling can help a great deal in a fight or similar situations.
Stop living in a violent shithole.

>be killed a moment later
Why?

Because it's pretty common for swordfights (and knife-fights too, for that matter) to end with both people mortally wounded.

I'd love to, but it's gonna take decades before we start sending humans to Mars.

Oh. That makes me sad. But my sword is longer though

>Will it help in anyway in the real world?
You'll be working out, doing something you enjoy, and probably make some friends. Those are good things. If you mean self-defense, no.

There's a pasta that used to get posted every once in a while about a guy who carried a rapier around. He was a Swedish exchange student that like to LARP as a French musketeer. The pasta was a story about how the guy would occasionally use his sword to save people from being mugged; apparently, at some point, he was threatened with deportation, and a bunch of people showed up to be character witnesses and testify that he might have saved their lives. IIRC, someone even found proof that it was a true story.

Because the meta inevitably gets tailored to the rules, and recent rule changes seem to be concerned more with making it more interesting to watch. I'll try to explain for each weapon:

>Foil
Foil's the one people usually think of with fencing - the flashy bladework and only stabs. Target area consists of your torso minus arms, and you score a touch by hitting the target area with ~1lb of force. It's got this concept called right of way, which effectively means that if both fencers hit at the same time, the point goes to the guy who's controlling the action. There's also an "off target" call - if you hit off target, the bout stops and resets. The blades are pretty flimsy, meaning that you get a lot of flashy flicks and far faster bladework than you'd see with a real sword, and the right of way concept means that not getting hit isn't the biggest concern if you can retain right of way.

>Epee
Epee's probably the closest you'll get to real swordfighting with fencing. The sword pretty much looks like a bulkier foil, with a larger bell guard, thicker/stiffer blade, and more force needed to score a touch. There's no special target area, and no right of way, meaning that if you hit your opponent, you score a touch. If both hit simultaneously, both get a point. The problem with Epee is that it ends up being ridiculously cautious to the point that tournaments tend to run out the clock rather than making it to the 5 or 15 points the bout should be going to.

>Sabre
Sabre's by far the fastest. It's got right of way like foil and target area that's everything from the torso up except the hands. You can slash and stab, and, because of the mechanics of the scoring systems, you don't need any force to get a touch - if you contact enough to complete the circuit, the light goes off. That means that the focus shifts towards speed, because you don't need any force at all to get the point.

Should I just look the pasta up myself? That sounds like so much fun!

>LARP as a French musketeer
>not carry a musket

Wow thanks for the quick rundown! Sabre and epee looks like fun. I'll check it out. How would a practiced fencer do against a katana user or kendo whateverthefuck

The guy in the pasta might have but Idk I haven't read it

They'd probably get wrecked. Kendo uses heavy strikes that you never see in fencing. Even Epee, where you use more "real" parries because you need to make sure you don't get hit rather than just get right of way, wouldn't be able to counter it within Fencing rules. You could get a good idea of just how impractical it gets by looking at some olympic-level fencing bouts. They're stupidly fast, but what they're doing is in no way practical for actual combat.

Personally, my favorite weapon is Sabre, with Foil a close second. Epee's just far too slow for me.

Well, the typical image people have of musketeers is from The Three Musketeers, which is known for its swordfights, so people usually think of them as swordsman.

I found a screenshot of it here:
buzzfeed.com/expresident/the-best-story-about-three-real-live-musketeers-sa?utm_term=.swKVBnxaPm#.qi6492Q5gk

Been sport fencing with epee for about two years and doing HEMA with German longsword and messer for one year

I like HEMA much better as a sport but all the fat sweaty neckbeards are off putting

You'll greatly improve reaction times and increase your general level of fitness but apart from some wrestling moves in messer it hasn't helped me put in self defence situations much, which is why I also box.

Oh ok so you think kendo is more realistic and the strikes are harder and more lethal than fencing, since irl nicking someone with a sabre isn't gonna hurt them enough

Thanks but it isn't working?
Uh ok thanks. I'm gonna learn eskrima myself

This should work better. I wonder if anyone has tracked these guys down.

realistic maybe in that it's closer to the traditional swordfighting it originated from. But Japanese warfare in general is stupidly autistic, so turning it into a sport only made it more so. Don't be that faggot carrying a katana around for "self defense." Any kendo club you find will thing you're retarded.

Rip

FMA/Seanigger martial arts is better.

You wouldn't be able to carry a meme sword every day but anything from a knife to baton you could, and SEAsian martial arts specialize in that.

kenjutsu and hema are closer to real sword fighting, fencing and kendo are more sport like and probably less nerdy, but if your into swords you probably dont care if people see you as nerdy

None of them are particularly useful in modern self defense and no one trains them for that.

Contemporary fencing is pretty much pure autism and won't even train you on how to practically fight with a sword.

HEMA will give you some actually useful fighting skills, but is still pretty silly.

Wow that's so awesome. Thanks for sharing

>won't even train you on how to practically fight with a sword.
But what if someone attacks OP with a car antenna?

Kek if possible can you greentext some Japanese autism warfare

Oh god topkek what a faggot. At least he uses his autism for good and not evil

Yeah I agree. Eskrima seems most effective for defense in a street fight so I'm gonna learn that

Fucking this. Would it be alright to have my sword in my car
>inb4 richfag
>inb4 normie

>my sword
>inb4 normie

Must be from a lil too much They think if you've got a car and any sort of dignity you don't belong there, hence my defense shields in that post

Now this must become an anime.

She has really nice and really qt tiddies.
>>tfw too autistic to save the white race
>>have to settle for Kim