Historical memes that piss you off

Historical memes that piss you off
>crossbow/spear were peasant weapon
aside from the fact that knights had spears as well what's wrong with something being a peasants weapon? If anything it just proves it's cost effective since every dumb fuck can use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4rzQwzg5_mo
youtube.com/watch?v=_endKNXkdOY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>War Scythes.
> Tiger?, best tank of the war.
>Who is rokossovky, yeah I love Guderian, rommel and Patton

>War Scythes
they were a thing

Muh Spanish inquisition.
Literally anything about (((them))) except within a early modern context where guys like Pico took great interest in Kabal.
The retarded music in most movies. It's rarely ever a good recording, the musician actors clearly do not know what the fuck they're doing, and it's usually the wrong music (period, region, class)

>1863
They look like they came from 1663, maybe they intentionally wanted to look like that.

I know nobody who knows much about history would do this, but in LITERALLY EVERY PIECE OF MEDIA I'VE EVER SEEN ABOUT THE LATE ROMAN EMPIRE THEIR SOLDIERS ARE ALWAYS DRESSED LIKE THEY CAME STRAIGHT OUT OF THE 1ST CENTURY

>movie about Attila
1ST CENTURY LEGIONARIES
>documentary about the Gothic sack of Rome
1ST CENTURY LEGIONARIES
>movie about Romulus Augustulus
1ST CENTURY LEGIONARIES
>movie about Hypatia
1ST CENTURY LEGIONARIES
>documentary about the Saxon invasion of Britain
BRITONS DRESSED AS 1ST CENTURY LEGIONARIES

STOP IT

FUCKING STOP IT

IMAGINE IF IN SAVING PRIVATE RYAN THE AMERICAN SOLDIERS WERE DRESSED AS MINUTEMEN AND THE GERMANS WERE LANDSKNECHTS

STOP IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think Total War: Attila is the only thing I've seen that got it right, and even then a lot of the costumes were inaccurate or just badly designed, but the Fall of the Eagles mod fixes it

>Who is rokossovky, yeah I love Guderian, rommel and Patton
Rokossovsky is a contrarian meme. If you think Roko's amazing but have no idea who Malinovsky is, you should neck yourself.

What if I know both of them. Contrarian meme he may be but you shouldn't deny he is top 5 generals of ww2.

Also are you the guy who was pushing for malinovksy a few days ago?

Yep. I think they just shoot one or two reenactments and just blindly use that footage. The visualisers are probably too retarded. They just get the script and fill the screen with this crap when no maps can be shown.
How else will the normie enjoy learning something if not with poor quality repetitive videos of soldiers running up hills

>What if I know both of them. Contrarian meme he may be but you shouldn't deny he is top 5 generals of ww2.
I would, actually. Probably top 10, but I'd put him behind guys like Manstein, Kesselring, Devers, Slim, and of course some of the other Soviet guys.

>Also are you the guy who was pushing for malinovksy a few days ago?
I mentioned him; I wasn't actually pushing for him, but almost everyone who 'knows' Rokossovsky, assuming they know anything about him at all and aren't just parroting other peoeple here, uses the reasoning of
>Primary planner behind Bagration.
>Bagration was an enormous victory
>Rokossovksy mus therefore be a great general
Overlooking other, near simultaneous offensives that were also enormously successful but not putting those commanders on the same level. If you want to talk about his other stuff, then it's different, and to be honest, I DON'T think that Malinovsky is as good as Rokossovsky, but that's why I brought him up.

I mean malinovsky, chuikov, Vatutin and rokkosovky were all great. Don't forget operation ring and the large role he played at kursk. Also from what I can tell he was a big fan even early in the 30s of armored assaults and deep battle.

If you are the devers guy I just don't get it, he seems rather unimportant , most of his contribution was advocating for types of tank design, which he did a very good job at to be fair.

Heck he didn't even command troops until 1943.

>THE SAXON WAY OF WAR WAS SWIFT AND BLOODY
>chubby reenactor in an ill-fitting helmet slashes at the camera a few times in an icepick grip

Spears were utterly ineffective against armored opponents with hand weapons, shields, and chain/plate armor. Which is why people are rightly dismissive of them.

Crossbows were pretty good, although they were eventually and obviously surpassed by firearms of various kinds.

>>not liking general patton
Faggot.

>Which is why people are rightly dismissive of them.
What kind of idiot is "dismissive" of a spear? It's by far the most widely used weapon in history.

T. Burger.

Here's a tip if you want a good american commander go for Bradley or something.

> Spears were shit once people had middle ages armor.

What is 600BC to 600AD. Also unarmored in a 1 on 1 spear has a huge advantage.

If they were ''utterly ineffective'' then why everyone used them you retard?

>If you are the devers guy I just don't get it, he seems rather unimportant , most of his contribution was advocating for types of tank design, which he did a very good job at to be fair.
I'd put Devers up there the same reason I'd put Slim up there. Yes, he was never on a hugely important front. That doesn't make him a bad general, it just makes him a good general assigned to a tertiary front. His conduct, both outside of active command (it wasn't just tank design, he also did a lot for promulgation of training and doctrine) and inside of it (seriously, look at the southern France campaign), was extremely precise.

Furthermore, one of the main reasons he got assigned to backwaters like Italy and southern France was that he kept disagreeing with Eisenhower over Eisenhower's dumb shit. But his recommendations had a knack of being right, and only realized in hindsight.

>movie about Romulus Augustulus
huh?

Not that guy, but The Last Legion is my guess, I had friends who wachted it during conference about Ancient World and modern media and they said that it was one of the most laughable movies ever made.

German tanks stood a chance against this Goliath.

ISU-152

Basically every pop-history claim about the Middle Ages in Europe.

>people thought the earth was flat!
>the church repressed science
>armor was super heavy and ineffective
>the crusades were LITERALLY HITLER
>the black plague spread because a pope didn't like cats

etc.

They ARE peasant weapons because they are weapons asking the least amount of training.

While tidious, it's still pretty easy to use a crossbow and it doesn't need the years of training necessery to be effective with a war bow. The spear is the same, with some luck the opponent will just crash into your shield wall and get impaled on your spear while using a sword actually need some skill and determination to kill (which is the most critical part in battles).

Using those have a direct effect. Countries like France used peasant weapons because they had a strong and numerous aristocracy trained in battle (Knights) who made their fortune on the battlefield, capturing other knights and asking ransom. The last thing they needed was other skill warriors on their side, stealing their preys. Untrained peasants were more than enough for support.

In England, the population was much lower and the knights were not enough to compete with France so they needed another group of elit warriors, paid and training all year: the archers.

Spears were so effective against armored opponents with smaller weapons, they were specialized into a variety of devastating forms: the javelin, the lance, and the pike.

The concept of "peasant levies" being ubiquitous throughout the middle ages

Fuck off dirty Rhodok

nice strawman

kek

I WILL DRINK FROM YOUR SKULL

It didn't take years of training to be effective with a warbow, and crossbows weren't that much easier to train and become effective with.

In any case, neither were really peasant weapons to begin with. If you were an archer with either a warbow or crossbow you were most likely a paid mercenary, landholder, or urban militiaman, or merchant marine.

Sorry, but Lindybased already disproved this

youtube.com/watch?v=4rzQwzg5_mo

youtube.com/watch?v=_endKNXkdOY

Sorry didn't mean to quote OP but this negro

>posting Lindy
>ever
fuck you

>historical movie or tv show
>everyone wears dark or gray clothes
le gritty ! xD

>They look like they came from 1663

P O L I S H
O
L
I
S
H

>"The uniforms and weapons of the Ninth Legion as depicted in the film (badly) reflect an earlier period of Roman history than the film is set in."
>"(badly)"
Actually what Wikipedia says

Judging by the thumbnail he seems to be talking about animu/grim reaper scythes, not the ones featured here which were basically spears with a curved edge.

I find this hilarious but I'm not sure why

>the *insert intelligence agency of choice here* are directly responsible for *insert event that I don't like* despite absolutely no proof of involvement or tangential involvement at best
I don't know why this gets on my nerves as much as it does.

Probably because it either explicitly or implicitly relies on the absence of evidence itself being evidence of masterful planning and cover-up.

>being evidence of masterful planning and cover-up
Every intelligence agency proved themselves incapable of doing that though. People knew the CIA was behind PBSUCCESS before it had even finished. People knew the KGB were mucking about in Bangladesh before it had finished.

>>widely used
Yes because it was cheap, not because it was better then other options.

Again, because spears were cheap. The roman legions more then showed how ineffective spears were against armored infantry with swords and shields, and the romans only really started using spears more when they started facing enemies who used lots of cavalry. Furthermore, only modern LARPers fight duels unarmored.

Cheap to make and it was easy to teach peasants to brace their spears and stand their ground then more complex tactics.

Spears were not effective against armored men with shields. They were so ineffective in fact, that they had to be modified to no longer be spears anymore as you just mentioned in your post, and you also forgot to mention polearms, the major spear modification that was really effective against armor.

Nah fuck you, Patton was a really effective armored commander that kicked wehrmacht ass all over the place.

And what's wrong with Guderian?

Kek

Nothing he was pretty great but if you know him you should know rokossovky, he's also the mascot of the enlightened heeraboo who knows Rommel was overrated.

Bradley was better.

Bradley was an original meme General.

George "Men who Die in battle are often fools" Patton

George " I attack my own soldiers who suffer from PTSD" Patton

"George "Our blood and his Guts" Patton

"George " Russians have no regard for human life and are all out son of bitchs, barbarians, and chronic drunks."

George "I could defeat the red army in 1945 in 6 weeks"

>mfw EXCALIBVR

>Historical memes that piss you off

The Amerifat one that says invasions are contractually obligated to change the ethnic of countries.

>muh arabs/whites wiped out the pure whites/niggers egyptians
>muh turks/arabs wiped out the pure whites greeks

Amerifats (and trust me, it's an Amerifat or some other New Worlder saying it) are too fat to know that the mass depopulation that happened to the pre-Columbian populations was more from disease than organized death. And that invaders in the bronze age didn't have the numbers or infrastructure to support such a replacement (as opposed to the classic method of an elite imposing its ways on a foreign populace).

>Spears were not effective against armored men with shields. They were so ineffective in fact, that they had to be modified to no longer be spears anymore as you just mentioned in your post, and you also forgot to mention polearms, the major spear modification that was really effective against armor.

That's like saying a rapier or two-handed greatsword are modifications that no longer make them swords. A lance is just as much a spear as it is a pike, which is why they could be used dismounted. Earlier lances even could be thrown like javelins, and that they were specialized into more specific roles does not change the fact that they were all spears.

And, most importantly, that everyone at the time called all these weapons with interchangeable names, just as a sword was a sword and armor was armor no matter the age.

>I-its unfair a untrained peasant can kill a trained knight with a weapon from range
>Its dishonorable
k e k

Must have triggered a lot of those knights.

>Cheap to make and it was easy to teach peasants to brace their spears and stand their ground then more complex tactics.

Except that bracing spears and holding ground was something elite heavy infantry were taught. That shit takes nerves and discipline, because you have to absolutely trust your fellow soldiers to stand with you in the face of a terrifying charge, and not panic when the press of bodies and tight quarters makes them unable to move about freely to avoid or flee from an attack. That's why whenever you come across spearmen who do actually brace themselves, they're almost always professional soldiers or clans or urban militia with lots of zeal.