Are we living in a Dystopia?

Was Huxley actually right? Except the eugenetics part that is actually really possible in the near future the world depicted in Brave New World is scary similar to ours

Other urls found in this thread:

circuitcitycorporation.com/
compusa.com/
youtu.be/OwgAemKOuvc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

75% Huxley 25% Orwell

In 1984, the proles were controlled by pleasure as well. Everyone seems to forget that.

>25% Orwell
Explain that 25%
>inb4 jews

1984 was a warning against communism and the dangers they pose to society

Huxley was warning us about capitalism and the dangers they pose to society

any effective government would have to follow some of Orwell's tactics and safeguard information from the masses

This is the least shitty period in human history, objectively

That's fair to be honest.

Actually the most definitive decomposition of Capitlism was a little know communist book called The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

All about the horrors of industrialization and the benefits of immigrants joining unions and taking political action.

Absolutely, unless you live in a contested zone of course.

These are the very best times for humanity that we have ever had. Our main danger is internal collapse an civil unrest.

This period will either be seen as the madness before the great calm or the calm before the great storm.

>Upton Sinclair
I need to dig more into his works I just read Oil!
From a natural and survivalist point of view yes it is without a dobut, from a human point of view this maybe on the worst ever

>I feel alienated by the world around me
>I know! I must live in a dystopia!

The Jungle is a real page turner. I read it in a single go as I remember

Most people still glued to tv are older generations. The media's attempt to do on youtube and the internet what they did on tv doesn't seem to be working to the same degree either (adblock). Not to mention the recent talk of the Youtube collapse. People with some degree of informance understand what's going on but industries will continue in their attempts to profit while they can, contracting their operations if necessary.
circuitcitycorporation.com/
compusa.com/

Clockwork Orange rings most true, for a number of reasons. Orwell's dystopia is just a propaganda metaphor that aimed to render the terror of Stalinism intelligible to people (Englishmen) to whom pure despotism was remote from their historical memory - it wasn't in any meaningful was diagnostic of the anti-human elements of Liberalism; it was and is just a morality play about an alien form of total state that Orwell suggested must be actively confronted. It's a pro-democracy fable that avoids punitive critiques of the author's own culture.

Huxley's book is a scathing attack on modernity in general but doesn't provide any great insight into the peculiar theology of Liberalism in and of itself. While cogent and prescient, it's more a cautionary tale about global technology and human freedom - and the fact that no extant political system or value system can adequately manage its disruptive features.

The genius of Clockwork Orange is that it describes a world where the liberal-democratic regime has mutated into a therapeutic state - an occurrence that, in Burgess' nightmare world, has been exascerbated in scope and intensity by the monumental domination of world-culture and historical dialectic by Sovietism. The answer to New Soviet Man in the United Kingdom is a kind of therapeutic man - whose life is shorn of any moral considerations of his thoughts and behavior, he is simply identified as sick or healthy, which culminates in human creativity becoming synonymous with violence in the minds of people who are brutalized psychologically by a state that is entirely at odds with nature. The book identifies the cultural pathology of Liberalism, in other words. It's aged far better than other dystopian stories for this reason.

>scary similar to ours
wow relly made me think where is the share button

Ted Kaczynski's analysis of industrial society is far more compelling and reasonable.

>666

not fooling us satan,

but the EU becomes every day more and more a 1984'esque dystopian superstate

there was a clip of german feminists and politicians talking about the "Ministry of Truth" and how you could implement it in the Council of Europe fully devoid of the context

>chilling out with a video game is "dystopian"
>bodybuilding and proper nutrition is "dystopian"

Always triggers me. Collecting things isn't "dystopian" either, maybe if taken to the extreme, but that's the case with most any human activity.

>a world where the liberal-democratic regime has mutated into a therapeutic state
As much as it proposes that, it's still in the early stages of mutation as Alex is the main test subject for the new treatment and with his failure it's largely swept under the rug. It focuses less on how the state is dystopian and more on society through the state enforcing moral behaviour on individuals.

It's not even that far-fetched when you consider the Pennsylvania system, mental asylums and modern pharmaceutical treatments.

Reminded me of this
youtu.be/OwgAemKOuvc

Who cares. Humans are fucking dumb and easy to control. If you're not profiting from this then you are just a wage slave

no one is saying that the act of playing video games or working out makes you live in a dystopia, you brainlet
it's the fact that you'd rather do those things than improve the world that 'makes it true'

The world is not like either of those books in anything but the most broad respects, most of those similarities being universal to almost all post industrial societies.

People who've actually sat down and read both rather than going by their reputation and movies that simplified them know this.

And by the way, if the world was like any of them, it would be more like 1984, not because 'oh no, cameras!' and 'oh no, government control!' but because its society was based on an extrapolation of existing class systems and societal trends, backed up by interesting ideas about how society reflexively creates artificial scarcity in order to maintain the existence of hierarchy. It frequently referenced real world countries and history where similar things happened to support all of its central ideas.

Brave New World was based on none of that. It was just 'hey, hypothetically if this would work and was possible, would it be ethical?' without ever delving into real reasons to believe it would work. There was some interesting discussion of religion and the need for conflict to create good art towards the end, but no justification for claims like 'a 20 hour work week wouldn't work because in this fictional universe we tried it in Ireland and the author made it not work.'