Knives

How often did men wear knives on them in past times? Was it only peasants or did also ''rich'' people wear knives on them? Which century did most men stop wearing knives on them?

Other urls found in this thread:

armabohemia.cz/Novestr/cutA.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Everybody had knives on them because they were bloody useful for all sorts of little work, crafts and eating.

Everybody had one. It was just wise to have something on your person for defense, survival, and general purpose tasks

It still is, but it's been stigmatized somehow as carrying a weapon.
Which is ironic, considering all the situations a knife could be used in to harmlessly save a life.

In Anglo-Saxon times, all free men whether ceorl, thegn, gesith, ealdorman, or shire-reeve carried the seax on them. The Normans put an end to this because the Anglo-Saxons had a tendency to murder any French-speaking cunt in secret, which caused Guillaume le Batard to impose the murdrum fine on the shire district where the corpse was found.

The seax was a mark of being a non-slave in the English world; it was your everyday tool for tasks and to cut your meat as well as a weapon of last resort.

Our good'ole country boys in the south still carry knifes.

The concept of carrying at least a small folding pocket knife as a matter of course only really faded from the modern world in the past few decades.

Throughout history, the concept of carrying a utility blade was pan-universal. As mentions, for the longest time it was your go-to tool.

>Get a life, bin that knife!

Any recommendations of where to get a decent seax?

I am going to want some documentation here. Even slaves carried small utility seax, though I am sure larger weapon styles are controlled.

Size, use, period, culture, style and budget? Seax means knife. They range from 1.5" blades tanged to an antler point, to 30 inch long short-swords. Mind that there is no shame in a cool display piece, if thats all you want.

Preferably earlier periods. Something of reasonable price. I would prefer something that could actually be used rather than just for display

Nobody really scrutinized for having a knife as a tool, the acceptance of the swiss army knife proves this, it's just that traditional knives have much less utility than dedicated multitools.

What is a "reasonable price" to you? What culture? What size? What uses do you expect to use it for?

This is not just a game of 20 questions. $200 is reasonable for a 12-14" long knife suitable for camping/hunting/gardening.

*nobody is
My bad.

200 is fine. Looking for Anglo-Saxon type. Or even old Germanic like cherusci and all that jazz.

Got you pham, in case you are euro based.
armabohemia.cz/Novestr/cutA.htm
their cutlery is nice and based on historic originals.

Thanks man

>Seax means knife
nobody likes a pendant, user

Is there any evidence they're used as tools more often than as weapons, today? A baseball bat is sporting equipment but that doesn't mean carrying one around in public isn't suspicious.

I live in rural Finland and people still do. Well, not everybody and not all the time, but it certainly isn't anyhow stigmatized.
It was more common when i was a kid and it was a norm not more than ~50 years ago.

I'm swiss, countryside pretty much anyone has some sort of knife on him all the time.

>some sort of knife
I was talking about something like this hanging on their hips. As if i have any idea who has or doesn't have Victorinox or Leatherman in their pockets.