Ledger nano wallet

does anyone have one of these things? is it any good or does it feel like cheap chink consumer electronics?

can i trust my pretend money with this thing? does it have a chinese backdoor for my coins?

Other urls found in this thread:

litecoin-foundation.org/2017/06/18k-gold-ledger-nano-s-wallet-pre-order/
twitter.com/LedgerHQ/status/869896920193531904
en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet
digitalbitbox.com/
opendime.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

never had any problem with mine.

what coins do you use it for? i dont really like the idea of needing to use chrome but i heard they might be releasing wallet applications soon.

bump

You don't have to use chrome, just have chrome installed. There is a desktop launcher for the wallet that never physically opens chrome.

Never saw the point in this. Why not make paper wallets instead?

Why not just veracrypt a usb stick?

Yeah I thought that was weird originally as well but the point of the hardware wallet is it's completely protected from whatever computer you plug it into. you could plug it into a computer that has 100 virus's and your btc would be totally safe. also you can log in to the wallet without internet just need chrome and the app installed.

its good for holding btc ltc and eth.

Easy to use, safe, looks cool, has vires in numeris written on it..

This

thanks

because i have too much to want to risk importing the paper wallet and having malware steal my key when its on the computer

you would need an encrypted usb + a separate computer or installation of linux to make sure you wont lose everything to malware.

I ordered one that should be here at the end of the month.

Gonna store all my worthless Stratis/Ripple shit on it for the long term hold.

i want one - wish they weren't backordered so far....

got one today, easy to install and use but the plastic and buttons feel cheap as fuck. I regret not buying two, my 0.001btc doesn't seem safe on just one wallet.

u can still get your spot for the limited run of 50 18karat gold ledgers & your money goes towards litecoin dev funds which has been basically non existent until the last few months.

litecoin-foundation.org/2017/06/18k-gold-ledger-nano-s-wallet-pre-order/

I got my nano s a week ago I love it.
Got some Bitcoin on there and an Ethereum Ico I bought

Also if you think these things are just expensive USB sticks you're an idiot.

no chinese backdoor
can hold Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Dogecoin, Litecoin, Zcash, Dash, Ripple, Stratis, Komodo and ERC20 tokens using MyEtherWallet.
Just search for "Ledger Nano S supported coins" and you will come up with the KB page with all the data.

is also supports ARK now

Ok, what about tails linux on a usb stick + encrypted partition for wallets?

yeah, those guys are constantly adding stuff. I copy pasted from their support page. I'm really happy with mine, ordered another a yesterday, waiting for it and will use it to store the ERC20 tokens I own.
Almost got a KeepKey when I bought the first Ledger and I'm glad I didn't since it seems they are shit at support and they have now problems and are going through a restructure of their company. It's sad because the KeepKey looked cool as fuck.
Trezor is also really good albeit I saw it was more expensive when I got both Ledgers.

Good idea, still the hardware wallets are really secure all around, only way to get to them is if someone gets your hand written backup seed. There is no way software can get that from the hardware wallet, as another user said you can have a computer with a shitton of malware and viruses and still would not get the key.

that would get you 95% of the way there, assuming no crazy bootloader/hardware exploit. i just think a hardware wallet is easier

why do you need two of them? personally i think the trezor looks pretty ugly and the keepkey is unnecessarily large

You guys are all forgetting the very best coin crypto has to offer: PoSW

Soon also supported by Ledger!

twitter.com/LedgerHQ/status/869896920193531904

I'm so happy to be holding over 50k posw right now :)

To the MOON guys hehe :) haha

> :)
>posw
user, life is more than crypto. Think about your loved ones

Honestly I was planning to put tokens on one and the rest on the other but I think I will end up using one for long term storage and the other for regular transactions and moving in/out money from exchanges.
I agree the Trezor looks ugly as fuck but it seems to be a pretty solid device too and the KeepKey it's based on the Trezor but looks "prettier" but yeah it's larger due to large screen.
Besides the looks, the only one I would not recommend is the KeepKey, there's way too many people complaining about lack of support and as I've said, the company is going through "restructuring".

daily reminder that Ledger supporting PajeetofShitWallet doesn't mean anything since it's a failed coin and Ledger supports lots of coins and none for any special reason involved with it's actual value.
Hope you fucking burn and die, shit eater.

I hope you' re only pretending to be retarded

Can anyone here tell me what's the best ledger on the market?

bump

I can't understand what the fuck are you talking about pajeet, you seem to have a mouthful of turds right now.
Just in case, fuck you and your poor shilling.

>because i have too much to want to risk importing the paper wallet and having malware steal my key when its on the computer

Having a single cold wallet is a recipe for suicide. Also, unless this thing sucks your dick, a USB flash drive with a PIN is a real shit solution to backups.

Ignoring how PINs are limited to 0-9 and you're relying on some form of anti-bruteforce not being bypassed, what happens when you lose this? Where are you putting it? Are you buying multiples? If you're buying multiples, why don't you just use encrypted files pulled from cloud services or an array of low-end SSDs to rotate your backups through?

p.s. I sure hope you're using a temporary OS on a computer which never touches the Internet in order to access this thumbdrive otherwise your HDD firmware will get infected and the Chinese will steal your buttcoins.

>what happens when you lose this
you use the seed you wrote when setting this up with a new hardware wallet or any wallet that it's compatible.
The hardware wallet with the PIN is for convenience besides security

It really depends on whether or not ARK is part of the native support lineup. If it is then it's golden and will get a nice exposure boost. If it isn't then to shit city with it.

I guess the guys from Ledger and also the ones from Trezor try to give support for as many coins they can but that doesn't mean anything.
The other stupid shill was namedropping PieceOfShitWallet getting support when they actually bought some ledgers and gave those away engraved even though the guys from Ledger have nothing to do with that scam coin.

I would say it depends. I was mostly talking about the coins that were front and center when you buy or look at the FAQs for Ledger. If it's being added to that lineup of BTC/LTC/Ripple/Stratis/Doge etc then it's going to be great for it.

If it's just general support like 80 thousand other coins then ARK is doomed.

I get what you say, but I would never think that since there are a lot of shitcoins right now flying around they would become magically more legitimate if they get some support or viceversa.
Someone stating that a coin will go up because of this needs to be put down.

Long term hold just use a paper wallet. Hardware wallets are for spending securely.

Fuckin brainlets who think they can buy security for $100 without any idea of what they're defending against.

Paper wallet can be hacked still...chances are slim but theres viruses that target printers memory :p

What happens if that piece of shit dies?

recovery phrase like any other wallet

They're saying that paper wallet is not secure?

en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet

you have the wrong way around. all of those precations you're talking about are necessary if youre using a paper wallet or encrypted drive because to spend you need to unencrypt or somehow transfer the seed to the computer to make a payment. with hardware its basically a secure computer in itself and you make the transfers on the hardware so your offline backup remains completely offline in all cases.

and then when you want to spend you need to do so safely, and importing your paper wallet onto hardware that never touches your computer keeps it secure. you dont even have to use a hardware wallet, you can just generate your paper wallets with it and then wipe the device and only use it in the future when you want to restore to move some of your savings.

there are already two different classes of coins they support. coins like litecoin were only added because litecoin's developers paid to get it added to ledger. part of the deal is they get a few ledgers made with the coin engraved on it. so if you see any of those it means nobody really wanted to support it.

>part of the deal is they get a few ledgers made with the coin engraved on it
this is correct. Still I guess adding LTC wasn't hard since it isn't that much different from BTC. Same with eth based tokens. They make it compatible with ETC/ETH and you can use it for tokens too with MyEtherWallet.
I don't know why people fall for that argument that if a coin is being added means it has future.

Physically opens chrome... Physically opens a piece of software...

it sounds like theyre going to make their own wallets soon, or at least have their web wallet built into their own app

Has anyone got one of these?
digitalbitbox.com/

Seems to be the only other wallet that exists outside of the Ledger/Trezor/KeepKey. Maybe there are more obscure wallets out there like this one I haven't heard of.

Doesn't have a screen though.

this is the other one I heard of, but never seen nobody talk about it except a couple youtube videos mentioning them.

opendime.com/

theres no backup for those though, they arent designed to hold large amounts really

bump