What are some good examples of benevolent dictators?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito
youtu.be/C1AauAyQ_wg
youtu.be/sIVUT1Wl_lQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Karlis Ulmanis, dictator of independent Latvia during the end of the inter-war period. Like most dictators there's a mixed opinion of him, but he generally was a mild leader who seemed to work more for the interests of the country & its people instead of enriching himself or cronies with the power of the state.

>inb4 Hitler

>Benevolent.
>Hid and supported terrorist groups worldwide.

We're talking about locally benevolent. Gadaffi for all his faults, was at least interested in bettering the economic lives of Libyans locally and kept the country together . Libya still hasn't recovered from his ouster and unlike the initial civil war, no one is willing or able to pick up the tab on that one.

Napoleon
Four GOOD emperors
FDR
Park Chung-hee
Tito

USA?

That's easy if you have a small population and fuckloads of oil.

Every other aspect of Libya's economy is a shithole. When the population outgrew the number you can afford to keep loafing from oil wealth, the country fell apart.

A better example is Abdullah II, a country that has no oil that rode out the Arab Spring with basically no problems because rather than relying on the oil crutch, he built an actual economy.

>Dictators
>this thread

I guess if we are using the meme definition.

>A better example is Abdullah II, a country that has no oil that rode out the Arab Spring with basically no problems because rather than relying on the oil crutch, he built an actual economy.
>basically no problems
>"he" built an actual economy

35% unemployment rate and $2000 per capita, of which 25% is foreign aid?

>That's easy if you have a small population and fuckloads of oil.
what's your point? He helped his people much more with the oil money then any other dictator or democratic leaders have done

Are we gonna get Pinochet in here or is he a little much?

I probably spelled his name wrong but close enough.

Jordan does have problems, namely the fact that a quarter of it's population are refugees from either Palestina, Iraq or Syria.

Right, but that's not because he fucked up, but rather because other Arab countries fucked up. Jordan was capable of dealing with it's own protests.

You might be mixing up some countries, what you described is Palestine, Jordan has 11% unemployment and $5000 GDP/capita. Not great by international standard, but quite good for a MENA country with no oil.

I'm like 90% sure it's a transliteration and there's no one correct spelling.

Assad is the biggest reason his country has gone to shit

t. Hillary

He and his father is the only reason that Syria haven't control by Islamic fundamentalists and women don't have to wear Hijab and cover their entire body

Sure is /pol/ in here.

His country wasn't shit under his rule. It was doing pretty well. The (((rebels))) are the reason the country went to shit.

>supporting gaddafi, Assad, and all the people listed in makes you /pol/.
I guess most of the world is /pol/ by liberal standards.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_Broz_Tito

most based man in history

The funeral of Josip Broz Tito, President of Yugoslavia, was held on 8 May 1980, four days after his death on 4 May. His funeral drew many world statesmen, both of non-aligned and aligned countries. Based on the number of attending politicians and state delegations, it is still regarded as the largest state funeral in history. They included four kings, 31 presidents, six princes, 22 prime ministers and 47 ministers of foreign affairs. They came from both sides of the Cold War, from 128 different countries out of 154 UNO members at the time.

Orson Welles once called him "the greatest man in the world today."

Uh, his regime killed one million people...

The rebels became rebels because the country was shit and the economy tanked.

>believing memes/propaganda
Hafez was competent Bashir is borderline retarded

>The rebels became rebels because the country was shit and the economy tanked.
>So let's work with foreign conspirators and Islamic terrorists to destroy our country and make things even shittier

OK, Shillary Libcuck.

Kek nice strawman fag

This 2bh

But he treated the other 90% really good.

It's Lee Kuan Yew or Li Guangyao 李光耀

Tankies don't like him, but he was much better than Allende.

>Tankies
that doesn't just mean "communist" in general
anarchists and liberals also opposed pinoshit

my favorite by far

Oh look, Scatman John

Huey Long

Saddam Hussein is a pinochet level meme response to this quesition

>tito
You mean tito "dick" dickman baby?

>park chung-hee

Literally tortured and killed everyone openly advocating for a democracy, did not give two shits about his people and is one of the main reasons why the entire korean economy is completely dependant off of a few chaebol (ultra rich, ultra powerful clans).

>This claim again
[Citation needed]

Absolutely this. You simply cannot qualify as a benevolent dictator if you've failed to prevent a bloody civil war that's left your country in utter ruins.

Read Rummel's work.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Ataturk yet.

Give the Middle East 10 leaders of his calibre today and 90% of the region's problems would be solved within 20 years.

Such a shame that Turkey has veered off the path that he laid down for them all those years ago.

Looks like an bald, asian Bill Clinton

>anarchists and liberals also opposed pinoshit
No, anarchists and liberals are Pinochet's biggest supporters. Leftists and social democrats are opposed to him.

There was no way to prevent it. The West and Sunni extremists were going to start shit eventually.

Thankfully it happened under a strong leader like Assad who is going to come out of this the victor.

We also get the bonus of millions of disgusting Sunni pigs leaving Syria forever. I hope there's a purge after the war is over too.

Ataturk was too good for this world and for turk fucking shits in general. What Erdogan is doing to his legacy is depressing.

There were quite a few good roman emperors, it's just that they were vastly outnumbered by shitty ones.

>We also get the bonus of millions of disgusting Sunni pigs leaving Syria forever.

Best part about the war right here

Since you don't seem to have gotten it since last time, I'm just going to assume you're baiting.

If by any chance you're actually serious, Rummel has been widely discredited in academia and his numbers have been proven to be complete bullshit.

Ataturk, obviously.
He have accomplished many things for Turkey without corruption.

This guy hurt as few as possible in the tragic times of his rule. Prevented russian intervention. Left the country as a democracy. Later, despite twenty five years of court trials never was convicted of any wrongdoing.
Considered a traitor.

>Dictator
Corporate tool

EVERY MAN A KING

SHARE OUR WEALTH

Deng Xiaoping or this guy.

Franco
Peron
Nasser
Tito
Gaddafi
Castro
Ho Chi Minh
Saddam

All had positive economic effects on their country.

Ferdinand Marcos

Best example I can think of is Augustus Caesar, a.k.a., Octavian. He had consolidated all power in Rome: Religious authority (after taking the place of Pontifex from Lepidus), Military authority, and political authority. Although he maintained the illusion that the senate had power, indeed, he was for all intents an purposes the supreme ruler of Rome. But after the purge of his worst enemies, he enjoyed a benevolent and peaceful reign that created the 'Pax Augustus', and improved the livlihoods of all Romans.

>thankfully it happened under a strong leader like Assad

you mean thankfully it happened under the watch of Russia which saved pathetic assad from being bayoneted in the ass by rebels

Augustus
Tito
Park Chung-Hee
Deng Xiaopeng
Lee Kwan Yew
Ataturk

Abdullah II is based.

Tito

>Peron
>Good
pick 1 and only 1 populist scum

What's wrong with Peron?

He was a populist that took Argentina from having one of the highest standards of living in the world to being just another subpar poor latin American country. Not to mention Peronism is one of the dumbest forms of government

youtu.be/C1AauAyQ_wg

Good one

youtu.be/sIVUT1Wl_lQ

>every country that fell apart in the Arab Spring was hostile to the West

really activates my almonds

Lol, I've never seen the dude smile

How the fuck were Nazi's benevolent? Fuck Göring

he raped girls and Libyans barely saw a cent of that oil wealth

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

>embezzled a butt load of money

no

Fuck off you putrid phonefaggot.

Took you long enough.

SABAKU NO WA...
ORE NO STANDO DA!

Seriously.

>Still considered as one of the greatest Portuguese by people today.

Ataturks only mistake was not realizing that there's no point in trying to civilize muslims

Is it still a civil war of the entire opposition are foreign mercenaries?

Am I not on Veeky Forums anymore, that this guy wasn't posted?

The Vatican is a kingdom and not a dictatorship.

>Park
>benevolent

>first pictures of Marshall Tito

Good point. I wonder why is Egypt is still under the rule of US-ally Mubarak...

Uhh, Tunisia was one of the most pro-western MENA countries, and that's where the Arab Spring started.

I'd think it was the other way around, where a pro-western attitude combined with high western investment makes the population more accepting of peaceful transition of government. The western powers also intervened for stability to save their investments,