ITT: Art/Images that depict history in a different light

This is the single most relate able and meaningful depiction of Jesus I have ever seen. It is a depiction of him on the night before the crucifixion after he left his disciples to go and pray. But in this version, he isn't the messiah talking to god; he is a man, cold and afraid, who needed time alone, to cope with the idea that he will sacrifice his life in matter of hours. It might be my favorite religious imagery of all time. What are some Art or Photos that depict parts of history differently then they are usually portrayed?

What's the story here?

It's cardinal richelieu, the de facto administrator of france, besieging the port of la rochelle, which was the bastion of french protestants aka huguenots. fall of la rochelle spelt the end of protestantism as a minority in france, discriminatory laws on the protestants were put in place that would last until the french revolution

Kramskoy is amazing in his portrayal of this scene, I give him that. It's a bit sad that Russian art gets so little recognition, even at uni lectures barely anyone knows Repin, Malevich or Kiprensky

Fantastic painting. I assumed it showed him in the desert.

It's a depiction of the Temptation of Christ in the desert, not the night before his crucifixion.

>even at uni lectures barely anyone knows Repin, Malevich
Maybe you're just going to a really bad uni.

I've always liked this piece by Graham Turner, showing a contingent of the Earl of Warwick's soldiers sneaking through the streets of St Alban's

People often associate the medieval era with climactic clashes between massive armies in huge empty fields so it's nice to see an artistic depiction of more of an urban operation

That's in the desert, dummy. Does that background look like "The Gardens of Gethesmane" to you?

>he isn't the messiah talking to god; he is a man, cold and afraid, who needed time alone, to cope with the idea that he will sacrifice his life in matter of hours
Well that's Arian heresy, for sure. No thanks.

Edict of Tolerance was in 1787, so before the revolution broke out. Still a long ass time though.

>It is a depiction of him on the night before the crucifixion after he left his disciples to go and pray.

No you idiot this is Christ in the fucking desert being tempted by the devil.

Do you see that rock in the foreground standing upright? The devil is telling Christ to turn it into bread, because Christ is hungry after 40 days without food.

The GARDEN of Gethsemane.

Please tell me Ethiopia still has topless qts on motorcycles.

>that kid on the right
>"If this nigga don't shut the fuck up, I will fucking shoot myself"

So, you can sneak in plate armor?

lol what fucking retards

>oh we're being stealthy, better stick our shiny weapons out around the corner and into the sunlight

West German Chancellor Willy Brandt kneels after laying a wreath at the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising Memorial

> mugger's
> '

Wtf America

You're entirely correct in that the image is beautiful, but it's not set the night before the crucifixion. This is Jesus during the 40 days of fasting in the wilderness, where he was tempted by Satan.

Fug, is this a real photo?

>posting fake photos
fuck outta here m8

wrong thread too u fuckwit

why do the ones in the back look like famine ethiopia

>ITT: Art/Images that depict history in a different light

pls

how the fuck does a shopped photo of a V2 and a photo from the 1960s paint history in a different light

>Sad Jesus

Fug is Keanu actually Jesus?

is there any more information on this picture ?

it's spooky

This. OP is retarded

>History
>Jesus

Anyway, here's quite possibly the best picture of the Spanish Civil War. Robert Capa just quickly peeked from the trenches and blindly took a picture, wich happened to be a man that was shot.

probably cos they're not getting fed by the Italian soldier who's dicking this negress