Which historical figures do normies think existed

But are actually considered by historians to likely be apocryphal amalgams?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Dan_Stele
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

King arthur

Robin Hood.

Jesus

Everyone in the Old Testament(except Job)

fpbp

Every Roman character before the 4th century, the kings are especially likely to be a later invention, same goes for Cincinnati.

You don't think Nebuchadnezzar existed?

This is actually the opposite, while some amateur researchers try to push the idea of him being a myth, practically no serious scholar of the period thinks so.

Sorry, should've clarified my statements, I was talking about people like Moses, Abraham, Noah, etc.
the Babylonians, Assyrians, and Egyptians all existed of course

Actually, the characters become fairly historic after the five books of Moses.

I think you forgot your BC there.

Not a single normie knows about Roman Kingdom. Only few are even aware there was a republic before what we call the empire.

A lot of normies know Romulus and Remus. But then, they also know that they aren't really historical.

Normies think R&R founded the Roman Empire and handed things off to Julius Caesar who was the first emperor until he was murder-suicided by Cleopatra, who built the pyramids.

Oh and they say "See-zer"

They know that Caesar was murdered by Brutus. And I say "See-zer" too, I'm not autistic enough to say it in classical Latin pronunciation when I'm speaking English.

I don't think this is a commonly accepted theory or anything but it's certainly something I give fair chances of being the case:

Pythagoras was merely the creation of the cult of pythagoras. the "pytha" part of his name might refer to several different things, perhaps pythons for one, but it is the second part that's most telling.

"agora" - assembly, marketplace.

those cheeky bastards just couldn't leave the name without a clue.

It really means the High Point.

This is how Greek names worked, m8. Alexander, Demosthenes, Theophractos, etc., all of these consist of two common roots combined together.

>not speaking a language where the name literally became the word for emperor

This is pretty retarded

IMO I think it's more fun to try to accomidate legends to truth rather than say we have no evidence to support anything. If we do, sure, we can accomidate it, but, for right now, I see no reason why it would offend people to rely on mythology.
Can we prove anything about the Aeneid, or the story of Romulus and Remus? No, but it makes a great story, nonetheless.

wtfpitbp

>the name literally became the word for emperor
>What is 'Imperator'

a different word. Caesar literally became the title of would-be emperors, the second in command, and Augustus became the title for the actual emperors, so you would be raised to the "rank" of Caesar and then Augustus

I'm pretty sure you can visit the grave of Robin of Earl.

Please enlighten me about the subject then. Not joking.

Jesus

Christfag butthurt in 3... 2... 1...

Ragnar Lodbrok

Well, when I speak Russian I say Tsezar. But that wasn't the title of emperors, Augustus was.

Ntg, and I hate to do this, but
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagoras

You mean 4th century BC, I assume?

>Caesar literally became the title of would-be emperors, the second in command, and Augustus became the title for the actual emperors, so you would be raised to the "rank" of Caesar and then Augustus
how fucking retarded were the romans?

The position of emperor was never official. You would just be named Augustus, there was no title other than that. Imperator was just a military title of honor.

>teaching middle school history on Veeky Forums

I should also add that there was the title of princeps, and it was the official title that gave the imperial authority. And that was before Domitian.

Ned Stark

very

>It is considered the first widely accepted reference to the name David as the founder of a Judahite polity outside of the Hebrew Bible,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Dan_Stele

>Domitian
Oh, sorry, Diocletianus of course.

Don Quichotte?

Is there anyone at all who thinks he was real?

pronouncing it Kai-sar should get you punched in the dick.

I bet you "well ACTUALLY..." whenever people don;t say Weni Weedi Weeki also

cunt

It is my understanding that all writings of him come from quite detached sources, sometimes written hundreds of years later. It is not insane to think that he could have become a constructed legend by then, like jesus or mohammed for example.

>pretending middle school could come anywhere within a 1000 miles of this kind of nuance

you must be a brit

Pretty much all greek mythology humans are sometimes considered as real. why not Don Quichotte or Gargantua, they are heroes of popular stories so people like to imagine they were real and ends in beliving it.

>I bet you "well ACTUALLY..." whenever people don;t say Weni Weedi Weeki also

I did this two weeks ago. There's nothing better than schooling brain dead normies.

cringing for you just picturing that

This. Josephus would like a word with you

Imperator just means someone who holds imperium, which is military command and authority.
There were dozens of imperators at any time

Charlemagne

>implying normies have even head of him

There's the Shakespeare authorship thing but that's mostly fringe.

When will this meme die?

Jesus Christ

Adolf Hitler

a smart american

There probably was a viking called Ragnar Loðbrók though, but the stories about him are about as historical as those about King Arthur since they're wildly inconsistent

that is very much a fringe theory though

Nigger not every language uses caesar for the word emperor aside from english I know atleast that the turkish word is 'imparator' I'm sure there are also other languages which have it like this.

tpbp

he's talking about Latin though in which Caesar came to mean emperor or referred to Julius Caesar specifically

Wasn't it basically a name emperors of caesar's dynasty took for prestige?

no as he explained correctly from the mid 1st century onward Caesar was a title adopted by the emperor when he became emperor or caesar, not a name he had from birth and especially in the later Roman empire like from the 3rd century it was very much a formalized title

there's a lot of archeology to prove King David tho

David and Saul probably existed but the Bible story about them is just moralizing bullshit and edited to make David look good when he was a giant piece of shit.

That's still a disputed translation. And even if it does say "House of David," that doesn't prove anything. The stele isn't talking about David directly, just people who might be claiming to follow his line. Which we already know happened because of the Bible.

Claiming the Tel Dan stele proves David existed is like claiming Bede proves King Arthur existed.

There's literally none. The only thing people think might refer to David directly is the Tel Dan stele, and see above about that. Everything else is just arguing for a connection to David based on time periods and what should be connected to him based on the Bible. There's absolutely nothing in the archaeological record so far linking anything to David.

That being said, he probably did, but he would have been nothing more than a small warlord of chief.

it's funny cause it's true. obviously the best answer.

King Author was based on a real person .

this guy here is obviously memeing but are there people on Veeky Forums actually this retarded?
as explains the preacher Jesus in first century Judea almost certainly existed and almost no historian/classicist on the period disagrees with that view