What do you recommend for a good introduction or all-around book dedicated to Nazi Germany?

What do you recommend for a good introduction or all-around book dedicated to Nazi Germany?

The rise and fall of the third reich by William Shirer is definitely the definitive book on the subject.

Be prepared for a 1000+ page tome though.

Not OP but what does it get into? What are some things it covers generally?

Literally just avoid Anglo and American historians. Them writing about nazi Germany is like a Zimbabwean writing about medieval Russia.

Is there anything a bit shorter than I can read?

>The rise and fall of the third reich by William Shirer is definitely the definitive book on the subject.

>The Holocaust happens because LE ETERNAL KRAUT
>Germans have a national characteristic of slavish obedience to authority, so they'll do any stupid thing
>Really, I am teh scowler, so listen to me!
Shirer is crap.

I would recommend Tooze's Wages of Destruction. It's economic history, but it touches on almost everything else.

>>The Holocaust happens because LE ETERNAL KRAUT
>>Germans have a national characteristic of slavish obedience to authority, so they'll do any stupid thing
ok then explain why it happened

>half of the books are from Anglos

Cycle back to the end of WW1. Tight censorship ensured that a lot of people didn't realize how badly the war was going, doubled with an "armistice" that turned into what was basically a full surrender, partial occupation of the country, a colossal indemnity, and then economic collapse in an attempt to screw the indemnity over. All over a war that quite a few people thought they were holding their own in.

It's practically a textbook example for a rise in radical populism, as the existing power and cultural centers are now discredited and something has to arise to take their place. Enter Hitler and the Nazis, who were merely the most successful of a myriad of radical parties floating around in the late 20s and early 30s. They lashed out , as revanchist populists tend to do when they don't have firm opposition, and trampled under minorities in their way.

It could have happened anywhere else you had that right mix of sudden, "unexpected" defeat, rapid re-growth under a militant populist, and a weak international system affording that populist early success. The early years of the USSR or the KMT weren't really all that different if you stop and think about it, with wild expansionistic dreams, mass purging, killing, and looting, etc. And I imagine in a hundred years or so we'll be seeing new Hitlers and new Holocausts as the right conditions emerge. But it isn't something specific to Germans.

This. also, any Soviet "accounts", but those aren't taken seriously anyway, due to the Cold War declaring Russian political commentary non-grata.

Name better books then.

Hitler's War.

Irving is an English writer and he is completely discredited as a scholar. Something else?

The Greatest Story Never Told 2: Electric Boogaloo (Book Edition)

>completely discredited
citation needed

t. wehrboo cuck

sorry that history is triggering

Lipstadt case. Hell, he isn't even a historian.

It this a good book?

It's not a work written by a historian.

recommend me a book

>Lipstadt case
That was his case for libel. It had nothing to do with his authenticity. While historians do take swipes at his lack of being deemed worthy by them, not many take issue with his original sources.

I do believe there is some truth to the fact we demonize Nazi Germany a bit too much rather than giving it a more balanced (good and bad) view.

It had a lot to do with his authenticity. You should read a book about this case. Lipstadt's historians analyzed his works and proved that he manipulates and distorts the truth.

how about you recommend a book to OP then? is the historian supposed to be from malta or paraguay to write an """objective""" history of nazi germany? and if these historians exist can you point to ones that have been translated?

It's not just nazi Germany. You shouldn't read anything from Anglo historians, period.

why?

>english-speaking board
>dont read historians who write in english!!!
choose one

>we
Who are 'we'? Because non-English historians are often even more critical of Hitler's regime. Joachim Fest's Hitler's biography is much more anti-Hitler than Kershaw's books.
And the term that German historians like to use for the Nazi period is 'German Catastrophe' from the Friedrich Meinecke book.

I'm asking again, name all those good books about Nazi Germany written not by American or English writers.

Yeah, a fucking wiki article. Mate, you're gonna have to read long books if you are interested in expanding your knowledge of history.

Horrendously biased, too lazy to research anything, asspull interpretations out the wazoo, just low IQ history for you. I first realized this when I read Palmer and then went back and looked on some of the "greats" like Gibbon or Kershaw and found the same patterns.

who should i read then?

Germans, generally, especially about anything regarding pre-20th century.

Do you have a specific text for nazi germany?

What kind of retarded comparison is this? Name good historians that are experts on Nazi Germany. Why the fuck would you even name Gibbon?

>The rise and fall of the third reich by William Shirer is definitely the definitive book on the subject.

It wasn't definitive when it came out, and it certainly is not definitive now.

What is?

Haffner, The Meaning of Hitler

if you want something short

>Wages of Destruction

Everyone with an interest in Nazi Germany, World War II, or just mid 20th century Europe in general should read this book.