I'm in physics. I noticed while signing up for classes next semester a class named Business Calculus...

I'm in physics. I noticed while signing up for classes next semester a class named Business Calculus. What is in business calculus and how does it differ from Calculus 1?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Business calculus teaches you how to trade crypto

Calculus for business students. It's like regular calculus 1, but it moves half as fast and all the test questions involve chugging beer

Financial mathematics is one big bogus. Don't touch it with a pole.

t. PhD student in pure maths

basic intro calculus with examples from the business world. most business majors can not pass calc 1.

financial engineering is based as fuck.

>muh change in slope
go fuck yourselves

reminder
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304096/Graduate-physics-PhD-31-fell-death-block-flats-taking-job-centre-qualified-for.html

In all seriousness business calculus is simply a simplified calculus course with examples drawn primarily from the business world.

Funnily enough, I'm doing a PhD in algebraic topology.

Financial maths is actually pretty interesting - stochastic calculus, time series, Markov chains, etc. Broad applications. Like most parts of maths, the deeper you get into it the more interesting it is.

Also I have buddies who unlike me decided to get a real job with a proper salary after graduating. Financial maths is a good thing to have if you want to make money.

>stochastic calculus
momentum indicators are a beautiful thing, you calc fags are alright, I was just joking

>t. brainlet

Calculus is so basic, I do it basically every day and don't think about it. I'm always surprised to remember that business students spend an entire semester figuring out what a derivative is.

have you ever used trig in what you do?

(in terms of applying it to charts)

What do you do? Nobody with an actual job computes derivatives, that's what matlab is for.

>Funnily enough, I'm doing a PhD in algebraic topology.

What's up mate. We're on the same boat then. What do you do exactly?
I do low dimensional topology, esp. in dimension 4. Working on cobordism groups of manifolds in smooth category.

here

My PhD has nothing to do with financial maths, I just know a bit about it. Anything cyclic and wave-based will make use of trig and specifically Euler's formula. You can describe things like random walks/Brownian motion using trig functions. The wikipedia article on Ito calculus is pretty good.

thanks, definitely taking a look into all you've mentioned

Hey guys who can calculate a second derivative? YOURE HIRED!!

That sounds amazing. I'm researching finite-dimensional Hopf algebras and locally compact T2 spaces. I imagine there must be some overlap.

I did my masters project on quantum groups because I liked group theory and I thought it would learn about quantum physics. Turns out quantum groups have fuckall to do with either physics or group theory. I'm stuck with them now though lol.

>tfw no Math PhD
>tfw can't become a quant and write ML algos to fuck over normies in the stock market for 200k a year
feels bad man

> math PhD
> 200k/year

lost

quants easily make 200k

they are a very small percentage of math PhDs though

Said no one, ever.

Business calc won't have trig functions in it, and less focus on e^x.

I'm not in business, but I did take Precalc. Isn't e useful in calculating interest?

compound interest is literally the reason it was created

No shit, 2nd derivative is too hard to just solve in an interview.

I'll assume you're being sarcastic otherwise your comment makes you look brainlet

Of course, but if you don't actually know ther concepts involved and work in something like R&D or engineering you are going to drop the ball majorly somewhere down the line

Uh, no sarcasm here, bud. 2nd order integrals are literally 2/3rds as hard as the fabled Triple Integral, which still has not been cracked to this day.