So Veeky Forums I gotta do a History Project

I need to do a project for my Leaving Cert (final exams) for history, I want to do The Byzantine Empire but it has to be a specific topic. So what's the most interesting and preferably relatively unheard of topic I could do?

Other urls found in this thread:

freeinquiry.gr/pro.php?id=2563
books.google.co.uk/books?id=xnqI8uSeekwC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=byzantine goblin&source=bl&ots=eb9Zgb9H_l&sig=AorTGYFN6j9Vb_8sX8izHp3oNnU&hl=el&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjx9_hoOvTAhWkA8AKHUJsAfAQ6AEITDAN#v=onepage&q=byzantine goblin&f=false
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sassanids.
Also, Irefag?

>One month till exams
>Still hasn't prepped history

Pick an emperor or something, use the History of Byzantium podcast as a starting point and you might find something interesting

I'd do something about Bulgar-slayer Basil II

Byzantine meritocratic bureaucracy. Tie Weber into it somehow.

Maurice and the Parthian Emperor.

Basically Maurice restored the Persian emperors and they formed an Alliance for the first time ever. Alans capture a bunch of Roman troops, demand more in tribute than there is gold in empire. Maurice says no, people are pissed, phokas stages a coup, tortures Maurice family. Parthian emperor invades, drains both empires, just in time for Arabs to conquer most of both.

Write about Iconoclasm.

trade disputes between genoese and Venetian merchants in Constantinople in late Byzantine era

I'm in fifth year boy, got a while before I gotta start worrying
Ye

Norman Byzantine relations

do the guy who had no nose.

The sanitary system in byzantium

My vote is for this guy, Justinian II. He would probably be the most entertaining topic and a perfect example of the crazy struggles for power that went on in the empire.

Manuel Komnenos could be an interesting tale about a rise from a great fall.

Conversely, you could tak about the Second Palailogan Civil War, which proved to be the last nail of the coffin for the byzantine empire

I was gonna say this. Otherwise the Fourth Crusade and how the Greeks got LATIN'D is interesting too, or the struggle between Arianism and Nicene Christianity.

heraclius and the arab invasion

You could do Norman-Byzantine relations following the conquest of southern Italy by the Hautevilles.

Macedonian restoration

The Alexiad

Talk about the fall off the theme system in the time of the Macedonian restoration and how it weakened the integrity of empire even as it was expanding.

POLO!

>Sketch showing young Emperors Basil II(Central figure) and Constantine VIII(in white dress) with later famous general and rare confidant of Basil,Nikephoros Ouranos,playing a Polo game(The Tzykanisterion) at the special Polo field of the Great palace of Constantinople while acting Emperor Ioannes Tzimiskes is on his last campaign in the East in 976.

Is history a good option to pick? I don't know if I should because I don't have too much of an interest in Irish history. Do you learn about other countries too?

The Nika revolt.

Do the effects of Arab piracy on the Byzantine Empire.

Belisarius going rampage on everyone is the best, but I guess it's not an unheard of topic.

Youo could take the following periode: the fall of Justinian II reconquered land after his death. You could still talk about the most based general and emperor, but from the point of view of a less known topic: the aftermath of the conquest.

HoB hasn't really got to Basil II yet. He could talk about the Macedonian dynasty as a whole. Two regents who didn't try to seize the throne for themselves in a single dynasty? Now that's impressive.

Oh yeah, you could talk about him being exiled to Crimea, getting the help of a bunch of Jewish Turks and retaking the throne.

>Maurice and the Parthian Emperor
>Parthian
Idiot.

Also the Sassanids and Byzantines had multiple alliances before Maurice was ever Emperor.

>Maurice and the Parthian Emperor
Maurice came to power in the late 6th century. The Parthian/Arsacid dynasty was toppled in the early 3rd century. The Sassanids were a Persian dynasty, Khosrau II aka Khosrau Parviz was Khosrau I aka Khosrau Anushurivan's grandson.

Maurice had no dealings with the Parthians.

>The sport was very popular among the Byzantine nobility: Emperor Basil I (r. 867–886) excelled at it; his son, Emperor Alexander (r. 912–913), died from exhaustion while playing, Emperor Alexios I Komnenos (r. 1081–1118) was injured while playing with Tatikios, and John I of Trebizond (r. 1235–1238) died from a fatal injury during a game.[2][3]

Fuck, first time ever I heard anything about this...

Byzantine folklore.
Vampires wraiths etc are Byza-Balkan folklore.

Τι μαλαkας.εισαι!!!
10/10!!

THIS!
/thread

These tbqh
Hautevilles went from murder hobos to kings in 2 generations

now I'm interested, explain further

Its a great pick. Made Irish history extremely interesting, you also learn Modern European and American history

Well, Byzantines had a massive ammount of folklore village stories about wraiths (stihia), vampires ( Vrikolakes), goblins
( Kallikatzaroi), mairmaids etc.
Hard to even find this shit in Greek, let alone in English, but I will give it a try.

Btw read about Digenis Akritas.

freeinquiry.gr/pro.php?id=2563

That is a book about monsters in Eastern Christianity. Cool pics for reference.

I remember a story from Early Byzantium about rural vampires.
Ahhh definetly Werewolves were a big thing in Arkadia.

In "Lycanthropy in Byzantine times (AD 330–1453)," four scholars from the University of Athens examine the writings of six Byzantine physicians to see what they believed lycanthropy was and how it should be treated.

Oribasius, a 4th century physician to the Emperor Julian the Apostate, described lycanthropy if his work Synagogae Medicae:

On Lycanthropy. Persons affected by lycanthropy go out at night time and wander among the tombs. You can recognize them from the following signs: they are pale with dry, dull and hollow eyes, without tears, the tongue extremely dry and without saliva. They are very thirsty and their legs are covered with scars from frequent stumbling. You must know that lycanthropy is a type of melancholy that must be treated by bloodletting until fainting, and offering an appropriate diet and baths with sweet water. Purgation by the hiera of colocynth must be applied twice or three times, and then use the viper theriaca and the other healing methods for melancholy. When the disease is approaching, you must sedate the patient by the use of wet compresses and administration of opium, rubbing the ears and the nostrils, a somniferous method.

Here you go user.
Hope you do well.

books.google.co.uk/books?id=xnqI8uSeekwC&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=byzantine goblin&source=bl&ots=eb9Zgb9H_l&sig=AorTGYFN6j9Vb_8sX8izHp3oNnU&hl=el&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjx9_hoOvTAhWkA8AKHUJsAfAQ6AEITDAN#v=onepage&q=byzantine goblin&f=false

ah shit, I didn't expect all these responses. Bless you, fellow anons

Just me friend, hahahaha.