Places with unusual/interesting demographics

Anybody else enjoy learning about regions with unexpected demographics? Like Kalmykia, the Russian republic located in Europe with a majority Tibetan Buddhist population. Or the Crimean Goths.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbëreshë_people
youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Russians
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alghero
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the anglos of England. a rare species indeed. once the dominant race of the land it was outbred by the invading hordes of the middle east.

There's the Kaifeng Jews in China, and (though they've been gone for about 2,000 years now) the Indo-Greeks who once ruled northern India and Pakistan in the 1st century BC.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews

The Kaifeng Jews are an interesting case because they may have been a hoax.

I wish the Tocharians were still around. Freaking aryans in China. That's crazy.

WE

>Freaking aryans in China. That's crazy.

1. TOCHARIANS WERE TURANIAN, NOT ARYAN.

2. THERE WERE ARYANS IN WHAT IS NOW CHINA, BUT IT IS NOT REALLY "CRAZY".

It's been a long time, old one.

The Abereshe people of Italy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbëreshë_people

>They settled in Southern Italy between the 15th and 18th centuries in several waves of migration, following the death of the Albanian national hero George Kastrioti Skanderbeg and the gradual conquest of Albania and the Byzantine Empire by the Ottoman Turks.

There's a legend that the town of Gurro, in Italy is populated mostly by the descendants of Scottish soldiers who settled it after the battle of Pavia.

So they like to muh heritage.

kek

youtube.com/watch?v=L-LyFMCIpok

they surely don't look swarthy

Found the Turk

Hazara in Afghanistan are direct descendants Genghis Khan's forces. Some elders still speak a dialect of Mongolian called Mogholi

WIR

I looked up the town and its far north Italy. Not exactly Calabria.

there's a polish village in turkey

They look on par with Lombards and other central Italian people.

Harbin in China was populated mainly by Russians and Europeans until about the 1960s.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_Russians

australoids/veddoids in europe (gypsies)

>pasta-slurpin'

I thought they snipped the Janissaries?

In North-West Sardinia they speak a variance of Catalan as it was inhabited by sailors during the kingdom of Aragon.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alghero

Legend has it that surviving legionaries from Crassus's disastrous expedition against the Parthians got lost and ended up in China, where they founded a village.

maltese semitic speakers.

moriscos in latinos

taiwanese in africa (malagasy) and chile (easter island)

I thought there was no evidence of that?