What are your thoughts on long extended periods of solitude. Good or bad?

what are your thoughts on long extended periods of solitude. Good or bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>solitude

it's basically all i know

makes you not care about what others think, until you notice you're losing your sanity and barely holding on.

It can be good. It can be bad. If you prefer solitude, as in you actually find in more beautiful and invigorating, read Nietzsche's "Free Spirit" chapter in Beyond Good & Evil.

But know that there is a difference between loving independence and being a hermit.

Jesus christ, this.

No such thing as true solitude in the age of Internet where you can readily shitpost with anons on Veeky Forums.

Just sitting in a room all day is not solitude because you are still constantly communicating with people

I did it for 2 years and almost ended up killing myself and completely trashing my old apartment.

It was it was a fascinating experiment and I'm in the midst of getting back into it right now, but just be advised that it can and will kill you if youre not extremely careful and ever vigilant.

Real human interaction and typing on a screen are two ENTIRELY different things

Define "long period." are you talking living life as a hermit monk or spending a weekend by yourself?

How so?

I don't understand. why exactly did you nearly kill yourself or trash your apartment? and what are you warning to be extremely careful/vigilant of?

The mind goes to exceedingly strange places when left to itself for very long periods of time. Beware of the thoughts in your mind. Your presence of mind becomes a presence IN mind, leading to all sorts of fuckery. Diligence is needed so that no matter what you do not succumb to the feral whispers that enter the human brain after extended periods of non contact with other people. There's a reason why they were working to make solitaire confinement in Pleasanton legal. If fucks you up REALLY badly, I'm just lucky I was able to take a scientific observational approach to most of it for as long as I did.

wtf man, did you have legit no contact at all or just cut contact with pals/family? Grocery shopping at least?

What do you men how so?

Humans are social animals. We haven't coexisted with the internet long enough for online interaction to take the place of face to face interaction.
There's a reason why they tried to outlaw solitary confinement in prisons. It fucks you up really badly

Charles Manson said he enjoys solitary confinement because, in his own words, "there's a whole world in there." I know what he's talking about. Being by yourself is certainly an experience that's different than the average experience. Some can't handle it, I personally enjoy it. I live in an apartment all by myself and I refuse to have a wife or girlfriend. I get one night stands on tinder, but that's all I get because I love the solitude

My family is all dead and I dont have any friends. Plus, at the time, i was doing security work on graveyard shift, so even when I left the house I never really saw anybody.

Yes I would go to the store when I need it too but I wouldn't talk to anyone and nobody ever talked to me

wow dude
so hows life now

it's a bit scary, you sorta start losing your grip on the material world and start going on a frugal lifestyle not because of the economical aspect but because you didn't notice the need of what others would need.

hard to explain honestly.

Damn....

Not perfect, but leaps and bounds better than back then

40 days and 40 nights is the most a human should ever spend alone.

Wanna be my friend? I don't have any friends either, Haven't in a few years, don't really remember how to be a friend. Area code?

pen pals exist since forever. Lovecraft wrote hundreds of thousands of letters, do you not think that's solitude?

I'm on the edge of my sanity right now. I only exchange like two sentences of dialogue with my mother each day, and I can't even remember the last time I've made eye contact with her or anyone for that matter. This has been going on for almost a year now. Fuck, man.

Try talking to her user, at least you have someone

Talk to her before you start going schizoid

I wouldn't recommend it. There are several studies showing how bad lack of physical and social stimuli can affect your brain. I will try to cite some of them if I can find them.

Just google for Harry Harlow's experiments, he's done them on monkeys.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_of_despair

I equate comfiness with solitude.

Humans are social creatures, and to isolate yourself overlong is unnatural.

Obviously solitude is a pleasant retreat for those who aren't extroverted, but you can't change the fundamental nature of your being: humans need to be social.

If you are reading a lot of history/politics/philosophy/economics you become detached from reality. You lose the human relationships that make up the essence of existing and living. It's during those periods you tend to verge into the extremes of the spectrum you lose sight of reality. Not saying it's not good to do so though. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable to new ideas in seclusion, and then re-entering society, provides a different perception on those ideas.
The pursuit of knowledge is not for the faint hearted. Oddly enough I find my weak Christian faith important in those times. It's gets surprisingly easy to flirt with abhorrent ideas when you detatch yourself

Some of you niggers need legitimate help.

Normie pls go

Voluntary vs involuntary. Try being ugly, no women swipe right. You go into public, try getting a coffee, a beer, lift at gym. People cringe when you try to strike up a conversation. I just go back to my room. There is no difference.

So, involuntary isolation is no good. If you need to take a break from everything on a voluntary basis, that's all good. You know you can always go back. Knowing you cannot have social connections is more than envy.