The three amigos

Are these three the bestest friends in history?

Roosevelt
>Hated Churchill, saw him as a dinosaur of the old order in the way of his progressive vision of a global de-colonized world
>Saw Stalin as an uncivilized brute he could charm and manipulate, unaware that he was the fact the one being manipulated

Churchill
>Hated Roosevelt. Saw him as a disrespectful naive product of nepotism with no idea what he was doing. Would never say this to his face, and he realized Britain needed a close relationship with the US
>Saw Stalin as the true threat once Nazism was defeated, saw through his lies even though he aided the Soviets

Stalin
>Saw Roosevelt as a naive idiot he could manipulate
>Saw Churchill as a capitalist land lord of the old tyrannical order that was too dangerous to be allowed to do what he wanted. Had to manipulate Roosevelt against him

Its weird knowing everyone but churchill severely underestimated Stalin

I don't believe for a second that Roosevelt and Churchill hated each other.

I wonder what world would look today like if America hadn't been so anti-British empire

ya, no that's not at all how their dynamic worked at all. Guess you never read what they said about each other. Churchill commented on how Chamberlin was wrong to trust Hitler, but he was correct to trust Stalin after Yalta. FDR and Stalin got together really well, you can see this in Iran.

Stalin's whole act in Tehran was a big show to secure more Allied support.

Churchill repeatedly warned against trusting the Soviets as late as 1945. When he said pro-soviet things it was usually as a means to get more American support on an issue.

Everybody underestimated Stalin. Stalin portrayed himself as some rugged simple uncle but loved to read yet hid it from everybody. His bookshelves in his retreat at was on a revolving frame so it could be hidden from visitors. This is significant because Stalin was a legitimate Machiavellian political manipulator who would string along people for years before dealing with them in some other game of 4D Chess.

Keep in mind how he secured power from a group of intellectuals that all mocked his "rural" demeanor and outlook. He first sided with the center-left of the party (Zinoviev and Kamenev) against the far-left (Trotsky/Kerensky/etc.). When they were dealt with, he sided with the right of the party (Bukharin and Rykhov) against Zinoviev/Kamenev. When they were dealt with, he eliminated Bukharin and Rykhov because they had no other political allies left.

The negative result of this was that Stalin only was able to understand others through the same soulless pragmatism he had, so if you acted emotionally or irrationally (i.e. Hitler when he invaded Russia) he didn't see it coming and would break down. Stalin did not take failure well and would become quite depressed at the littlest thing, as opposed to Hitler who threw a short temper tantrum over it.

pretty much this. Thankfully FDR died before Potsdam and Truman didnt cuck out to Stalin at the negotiations

So Stalin is /ourguy/?

This interaction at Tehran in 1943 sums up how the 3 interacted perfectly

>Stalin proposed executing 50,000–100,000 German officers so that Germany could not plan another war. Roosevelt, believing Stalin was not serious, joked that "maybe 49,000 would be enough". Churchill, however, was outraged and denounced "the cold blooded execution of soldiers who fought for their country". He said that only war criminals should be put on trial in accordance with the Moscow Document, which he himself had written. He stormed out of the room, but was brought back in by Stalin who said he was joking. Churchill was glad Stalin had relented, but thought Stalin was testing the waters

My impression is that Roosevelt and Churchill had at worst a lukewarm relationship, and arguably a good one.

They were amiable

>Kerensky
>communist party
Kerensky was the leader of the provisional government who ledt Russia in 1917

Larry curley and moe

Sword of Stalingrad presentation was hillarious.

>The official presentation was made while the Big Three wartime leaders were meeting in the Soviet embassy at the November 1943 Tehran Conference. After a three-hour delay, the principals and their delegations gathered in the large conference room of the embassy with a British and Soviet honour guard lining either side of the hall. Winston Churchill entered wearing his blue Royal Air Force commodore's uniform, and a Soviet military band played "God Save the King" and "The Internationale". Churchill took the sword from a British lieutenant and turning to Joseph Stalin declared, "I am commanded to present this sword of honour as a token of homage of the British people". Stalin kissed the scabbard and quietly thanked the British. He then offered the sword for inspection to the seated Franklin Roosevelt, who drew the blade and held it aloft, saying, "Truly they had hearts of steel". (In Russian Stalin's name approximates to "man of steel").

>The sword was replaced in its scabbard by either Churchill or Stalin. At the end of the ceremony, Stalin unexpectedly handed it off to one of his oldest and most loyal comrades, Marshal Kliment Voroshilov. He seemed to have been taken by surprise and took it the wrong way up so that the sword slipped out and fell. Observers differ on whether it struck his foot, clattered onto the floor, or was caught in time to be returned to its scabbard with a deft move.

Nice

What a bunch of jokesters

>Churchill was glad Stalin had relented, but thought Stalin was testing the waters

pretty much. Stalin was just doing what the alt-right does now, where they shill nazism and then when called out on it, just claim they are joking.

Stalin was more intelligent

I always put off reading about Stalin because I thought he was some tyrannical brute who had simply stumbled into power.

It wasn't until I read about him that I realised he was probaby one of the cleverest leaders of the 20th century. For better or worse.