Now that the dust has cettled:

now that the dust has cettled:

american revolution:

good or bad?

Neither. It was merely predestined, a result of divinely ordained British colonial mismanagement.

Not bad

But Edmund, weren't you against all Revolutions ?

The person you are replying to is not actually Edmund Burke. Edmund Burke has been dead for centuries.

WHy the fuck are you posting rupi Kaur poetry on Veeky Forums?

Lmao, kiddah yaar

Good. It resulted in a country born with the ideals of democracy, the first of its kind. We never had nor will have any other system of government.

>It resulted in a country born with the ideals of democracy

I love America. I think it's a great country, and I think the founders did a great job; but you gentle user, are goddamned trollin'.

Burke wasn't against the revolution per se

What other modern nation was conceived as a democracy? All others that exist today are either hybrids or transitioned from monarchy. America is the only country to have never experienced any system of government except democracy.

Good for Americans, bad for the rest of the world

America has experienced very little actual democracy. The end result may be the same, or it may not, but real democracy? MAYBE at the local election level. That's it. To be clear, I have no real problem with the system we use, but it is not democracy. Didn't everyone's sophomore history teacher say "oligarchic republic" at some point? Oh, and ancient Greece was about as close to real democracy as we were/are.

The point is not whether any nation has come close to the ideals of democracy in practice. The point is that America was conceived as a democracy since its birth. No other nation was born trying to be a democracy. They all transitioned into it. And I'm not sure what "real" democracy means. Surely you don't mean active/participatory democracy?

meme

Scratch that shit.

Was agricultural revolution good or bad?

Bad
if Americans had been living under some oppressive regime, fine. But they weren't, really

He was against revolutions that tried to artificially impose a new society alien to a country's culture (alla the French and Russian revolutions).

The American Revolution (like the Glorious Revolution) were actually meant to restore old institutions that the local population had had centuries of experience with (in this case, traditional liberties being threatened by an overbearing government). Burke supported these, as they didn't involve treating one's country like a blank canvas on which you try to scribble anything you like (to paraphrase him).

The Meiji Restoration succeeded while the Arab Spring failed for the same reasons

dece

are you implying the beady-eyed brits aren't oppressing the world just by existing

Masonic garbage

You don't know what you're talking about. I don't think there's a single sentence in your post that can be taken without serious correction. I'm not offended. You're just wrong. Maybe I'm responding to bait.

You're talking as though a state can't be both a republic and a democracy, but the terms aren't mutually exclusive, at all. DIRECT DEMOCRACY is not the only form democracy can take, there's also REPRESENTATIVE DEMOCRACY, i.e. what America has. Whatever its faults (and it has plenty), America is a liberal democracy by any reasonable metric and has been one for well over a century.

>Didn't everyone's sophomore history teacher say "oligarchic republic" at some point?
No, of course not, because America isn't an oligarchic republic. MAYBE it can be said to have been one when it was founded, until the early-mid-19th century when suffrage was extended to all white male citizens in the vast majority of its states and then all male citizens a few decades later. Even then it's a bit of a stretch, but if I'm generous and let it slide, that means it still only functioned as an "oligarchic republic" for 25%-30% of its history (and the transition to a full republic was gradual, not sudden, and started almost immediately).
>America has experienced very little actual democracy.
is a ridiculous overstatement.

>Oh, and ancient Greece was about as close to real democracy as we were/are.
"Ancient Greece" was not a state. Assuming you mean Athens, it didn't have universal enfranchisement either. Not even close. It may have been a direct democracy, but it was far closer to an oligarchy than America was for the vast majority of its (America's) history.

Burke believed the Americans' grievances were legitimate (questionable IMO) and that the British reaction was very poorly handled (correct IMO), but he wanted the Americas to remain part of Britain. He tried repeatedly to get legislation passed through the Commons that would prevent the outbreak of a war he also accurately prophesised from quite a distance.