Historical media thread

What's Veeky Forums opinion of The Last Kingdom? I understand the armor/clothes are off, but what about the historicity of the battle scenes and the events in general?

Also historical media thread, movies, TV series, games and historical fiction are all welcome.

Its way better than that piece of shit vikings but still I cringe everytime when they make a testudo like shieldwall.

bump

I stopped watching Vikings after it turned into a divorce drama somewhere in the second season.

The battle scenes are pretty dire. Everything from the equipment to the tactics is wrong

It isn't good Veeky Forumstory, but it's a damn good show.

It's essentially Game of Thrones if it wasn't written by a fat fuck who writes at a snail's pace. Each episode has more plot than half a season of GoT and it moves very swiftly as befitting it being a British series.

Eeeeehhhh. The Last Kingdom doesn't offer the same level of complexity and network of subplots that GoT does. It's much more predictable and filled with surface level storytelling.

Vikings gets alright when they sack Paris.

What gets me isn't that the clothes and armor are off, but the fact that the acting is so fucking shite I can't sit through more than 10 minutes before wanting to rip my eyes out.

>I AM UHTRED
>SON OF UHTRED
>EARL OF BURBUNBURR

Based Alfred single-handedly makes the show for me

Cornwell is a lazy Fuck writer who is yet to finish off the Starbuck Chronicles.

He could at least do a Sharpe spinoff of based Fredrickson of the 5/60th rifles fighting in the war of 1812

The guy they picked for Uthred is shit, he doesn't look like Uthred, acts like shit etc.
Father beocca and the Wessex King tough are pretty good.

>read all the books
>thinking that Uthred is blonde

wtf is this bullshit?

>I AM UHTRED
>SON OF UHTRED
>DESTINY IS ALL

I hope they adapt the Warlord Chronicles one day.

Most enjoyable books I've ever read.

I can't stand the uncharismatic pretty boy the picked to play Uhtred.

>Back scabbards
>Eyeliner
>Leather everywhere
Dropped

The books are better

Stoked that Alfred the Great and his valiant struggle against the Danes are finally given mainstream attention. There's only 1 film about him and that was nearly 50 years ago.

The only other thing I want to see is the Norman Conquest and have everyone find out how much of a cunt William the Bastard and his cronies really were. Norman propaganda has infected too much of post-1066 English history.

Would not watch that Protestant trash.

Go fuck yourself you fucking slave holder.

Make sure you play The Winter King mod if you haven't already.

I was on his camp until he went full autist, risking civil war, and funding the army that would destroy him just because of his daughter. This is despite the fact that he constantly lectures people on duty and the fact that the king has to be held at a higher standard.

he was based last season but he was an irrational cuck in season 2

>every time I turn my back on Utred, everything goes to shit and he has to fix everything and then I barely reward him because muh christianity
>imma keep turning my back on him so everything goes to shit and he has to fix everything and then not reward him again because muh christianity
>hur I can't trust you even though you've saved my ass countless times I'm gonna keep trusting pasty cucks instead because muh christianity

he was far more pragmatic in season 1, season 2 shoves a stick up his ass for some reason.

EXACTLY

All over the show he does a bunch of petty shit that he can do just because he's the king.

there's a difference between doing petty things because you're the big shit, and risking the future of what he views as civilisation just because of a single person.

the problem with Alfred is that he can't understand how someone who isn't Christian can be a better, more loyal friend than someone who is Christian, and so he's cold to utred and opens up to Christians who just want to manipulate him. He's scared of utred like he's gonna rebel because he's not christian, not realizing that treating him like that is just pushing him to rebel.

>implying the Normans didn't profit from the English slave trade from 911, the year their duchy was established to up until 1102 when clerics condemned Henry Beauclerc for not putting a stop to it
Slavery was fading away in Anglo-Saxon England. The influence of the Church became stronger over the years and by 1066, it was well on its way to becoming obsolete.

The Normans fucked over England and its people for generations; they treated the land as nothing more than a cash cow for their wars of expansion in France. And thanks to Strongbow and other Cambro-Normans, England and Ireland would be drawn to hostility; something that hadn't happened before.

I like last kingdom but i really really REALLY hate the music direction. The soundtrack is out of place and garbage.

Mah nigga, I really hope after the last kingdom they start a series of it.
I want to see britons and saxons fighting shieldwalls tb h.
Also arthur seemed like a total bronin the books.

Leofric is based, good at fucking those Dane asslings up.

I'm glad we saw some Welsh in the series as well, even if it was just for an episode or two, the series seemed to paint them as pagans though when in reality they would have probably been more devout Christians than the Saxons.

>It's essentially Game of Thrones if it wasn't written by a fat fuck who writes at a snail's pace.

GoT isn't shit because of GRRM, it's shit because the two talentless no-track-record hack (((producers))) almost completely changed the original story for the tv adaption.