Line infantry tactics

It always makes me think, when someone affirms that the reason why battles used to be conducted in lines is because the muskets were inaccurate. What makes them think that being in close formation improves the accuracy of a weapon ? 10 shooters in loose order can shoot just as well as 10 shooters in close order. All it does is make you a bigger target, so it didn't give any advantage for ranged combat.

But if you look at how infantry fought before the age of gunpowder, you can see why they use the close order : it allowed each man in a formation to assist the next one in melees.
Even after the invention of firearms, cavalry and bayonet charges remained a threat. Because of the reloading speed of the weapons (roughly 20 seconds), a unit that had just fired became vulnerable to a counter-charge, and that's why the tight order was used.

Another bizarre opinion is that Volley fire was supposed to offset, again, the inaccuracy of muskets. Could you explain to me how that works ? How I see it : 100 shots in one volley have the same firepower than 100 staggered shots. The only difference is, if not waiting for the order to shoot, everyone reloaded at different times, which could cause problems, I suppose, for the group to be able to maneuver as a unit.

Many reasons exist, but I can't answer with any certain authority on the matter beside what I know.

The one reason that comes to mind is:
>Loose formation
>Shoot one round
>Begin to reload
>Cavalry, an injun, some Hoodoo, or General Custer himself begins to charge me
>Forget about reloading and just run and drop my shit
>Enemy gains all that ground that I just retreated from

In a formation:
>We all fire at once
>Their forces fall by 5%
>Kneel
>Line behind me fires
>Their forces fall by another 5%
>Line behind THEM fires all at once
>Their forces fall by another 5%
>After all that, we're finally done loading, so we can just straight up continue shooting again until they all either rout, surrender, or die

The first row would shoot, then duck to reload while the line behind them fired over their heads. This is the only way they could press fire continuously considering the reload time. Order is important in carrying out military operations, if you gave a bunch of dudes guns and told them to charge it wouldn't turn out well.

>Another bizarre opinion is that Volley fire was supposed to offset, again, the inaccuracy of muskets. Could you explain to me how that works ? How I see it : 100 shots in one volley have the same firepower than 100 staggered shots. The only difference is, if not waiting for the order to shoot, everyone reloaded at different times, which could cause problems, I suppose, for the group to be able to maneuver as a unit.

Because again, as you've pointed out, melee combat, or the threat of melee combat, was still an important part of line battle. Sure, you want to kill enemy soldiers when you shoot, but that's not all, you want to kill them in the most efficient manner to either force them to break and run, or to set them up for a decisive follow-up, possibly in melee. To that end, killing specific sections of their army is more useful than just randomly killing people all over their formation, ideally, you want most of your firepower concentrated at a small section of their group, break that, and then flood through the gap.

But, as noted, muskets don't have great accuracy. Getting that sort of pinpoint concentration is hard to do when your formation is scattered, because they can't fire all that far and hope to hit anything, and it's hard to direct them in an era where signalling was done by flag or by shouting.

It's not about maximizing overall deaths from musket fire, it's about breaking a specific point of the enemy, which you are better served by tightly packing your men.

Morale shock.

If you had 1,000 musketeers open fire and even if only 10% hit, that's still about 100 enemies hit. For a random peasant conscripted into the army, you'd be terrified shitless if you start hearing screams of pain and deathrattles from all these guys around you. You start to waver, your CO orders you to fire, you fire, and the enemy is so far away you think you miss. Enemy returns fire. That random bumfuck who cucked you is clutching his gut from a musketball. You decide fuck this I'm going home to my cumdumpster 15-year old wife.

Ideally, you beat and drill the shit of these peasants to stand firm in the face of fire.

If you just let them do whatever like they're light infantry standing 5-10 feet apart and don't condense them into moving death blobs, they'd just break and run like the undisciplined fucks they are.

Look at how a lot of the early battles in the American Revolution went when they had carefree officers and weak discipline among the milita and regulars. British regulars pounded the shit out of them because they'd break and run.

The advantage of close order and volley fire wasn't that it improved the accuracy of contemporary muskets, it was that it improved the volume of fire concentration. Now in small numbers this is pretty redundant for two reasons:
1. 30 or so guys shooting in formation won't be anywhere near as effective, proportionally speaking, as 500 guys in formation in the degree in which their zone of firepower will be amplified.
2. It's very easy to convey an order to 30 or so guys even when they're spread out so the two reasons for shooting in formation, in this case, are just redundant.

So here's an image I drew to get my point across. In the denser formation everyone in the front line has a roughly equal target to shoot at. In the loose formation notice how much further the guys are at the fringes from the enemy formation? It's hard enough to hit a target with a musket let alone at an even further distance than the rest of your formation. Also in the dense formation it would be incredibly easy for officers and NCO's to give and convey orders whereas in the loose formation it's incredibly difficult to do so and would take far more time.

So the denser formation wins due to the degree of fire concentration which it affords combined with the ease of giving commands and controlling the formation. And I haven't even gotten into what would happen to the loose formation if they were charged but that's pretty self evident really.

Interesting and fair points, I've never thought about the idea of concentrating the fire on one section of the enemy line in preparation for a follow-up charge.

As for the situation that you point out , one advantage that I see is that the loose formation in this case would have an easier time flanking and harassing the enemy line. Although, the flaw is that the red infantry itself would then become incredibly vulnerable to a charge on its flanks and its rear, so I can see why an entire line of infantry wouldn't attempt to do that.

>one advantage that I see is that the loose formation in this case would have an easier time flanking and harassing the enemy line
But you have to remember that the means of communicating orders in the time of musket and sail was the same it had been for thousands of years up until that point. The fastest a message could travel was that of a horse and for junior officers and NCO's they had to get their orders across through shouting.

So if we continue to use my pic as an example how are the red soldiers supposed to effectively coordinate a flanking action when they're so spread out? It is impossible for the left flank to effectively communicate with the right. Any order the commanding officer gave would have to take much longer to be given let alone acted on than a dense formation. And the time the soldiers are spending trying to convey and then carry out the order is time they're not spending shooting.

>look at how infantry fought before the age of gunpowder

That's the one that had the most impact on the use of close order fighting with muskets.

People are lazy as fuck, and resistant to change. This is especially true in the military where there's a persistent mindset of "this is the way we've always done it" that exists at ALL levels even to this day. What this means is that they are slow to change, which is good if that change is for the worse, but not so good when it's actually for the better.

So to follow up on this let's assume the denser blue formation sees this spread out formation and charges it. Now the loose formation is cut in half and whereas before it was difficult to convey and order and ensure communication between the two flanks, it's now impossible.

So let's assume you're some some junior officer on, say, the left flank whose superior officer has either been killed or routed when the center was charged. What do you do? Are you in command now? Do you continue fighting or do you withdraw? If you withdraw will you abandon the right flank who choose to fight instead? If you fight will the right flank abandon you? You have no idea because you cannot communicate with them. And what if, somehow, both flank commanders choose to continue fighting: will it even be effective? Sure you're flanking the enemy but there's no coordination to ensure there's any effectiveness in this. And what will the enemy formation do? It would have taken much fewer casualties charging the scattered center and so now not only is it closer to you where its superior firepower can be brought to bear but it can turn and bring itself to about with ease because it isn't spread out like you.

So you've lost a substantial number of men, there's no communication between the flanks and a much stronger enemy is right up close to you. You're essentially fucked.

It's about communication. It's easier to for a general without any form of radio communication to maneuver his forces. The regimental officer also have an easier time relaying orders down the ranks. But mostly it's about cavalry.

A cavalry charge against a loose formation will break it completely, individuals will flee, and the horses can charge through the gaps. A tight formation is way more steady, and horses won't charge into a solid line of glittering steel.

All of the reasons posted ITT are sound but there's also the fact that in the battles in that day the smoke of the cannons/muskets, the dust from the marches and cav and the weather meant that visibility was sometimes so bad you couldn't tell what was metres ahead. Closed foration meant you felt secure even if OH NO A VOLLEY IS FIRED AT US AND 10 DUDES DROPPED DEAD and it also meant for officers that if you saw a company of guys and the colour of their coats looked like allies and their hats were shaped like so-and-so-regiment then you knew in the thick smoke that they were friendlies or baddies.

It also meant that from affar a general could look at the battle, see i don't know, so-and-so grenadier battalion because of the pompons on their hats and say "move so-and-so battalion to support the flank"

>the ease of giving commands and controlling the formation.

IMO, that outweighed everything else for the commanders back then.

Closed order formations may have concentrated fires, but that works both ways, in that fires are more easily concentrated on your formation, meaning heavier casualties. While they're certainly easier to control, you won't have as much to control when the shooting stops and it's time to maneuver.

Pic related: Open order formations not only increase the effectiveness of your fires by providing you with a higher percentage target, but they also reduce your casualty potential, and give you better opportunities to maneuver when the time comes.

Regardless, most armies weren't willing to take the time to train their soldiers, or their junior leaders, to do little more than what was required of them in close order formations, as that was the easiest thing to do, and what they had always done. It wasn't until the introduction of reliable belt-fed machine guns and modern artillery that western armies realized that they needed to start training their men, and develop junior leaders, to a high enough standard as to allow them to communicate and fight effectively in open order formations. Some nations still haven't figured that shit out, though.

>by 5%
In what world?

One guy looks like he shit his pants and is panicking.

That's assuming the shooters really intent on hitting their target.
Which I believe happened more often than what is sometimes claimed.

Jesus Christ I remember you from a few months ago, exact OP pic and everything.
You weren't smarter than generations of generals then and you aren't smarter now.

I don't remember making that thread. I'm not even sure if I had start to browse Veeky Forums in the time you speak of.

> Volley fire

This was implemented by Maurice and Gustavus Adolphus for the purpose of breaking pike formations. When you fire 1000 shots into a pike block, you kill a large number of men at once, and you charge before the pikemen in the back ranks reorganize themselves and present a cohesive pike wall again.

Except infantry with missile weapons routinely fought in loose order before gunpowder, and skirmishers still did after it.

Close order formation is literally the only way men with muskets can avoid being run down at will by cavalry in the open.

It's also a requirement if you want to be able to stand against a massed bayonet charge.

From a technical perspective, the idea is that you treat the whole line as one big shotgun. If you throw enough lead in the air, you're eventually going to hit /something/ and a volleying line can throw more lead at once, meaning they're more likely to hit someone before they find cover.
Ideologically speaking, you have to keep in mind that military theorists at the time considered the average soldier a moron and a coward who had to be hand-held through evverything.

The real reasons are these:
Because you reload so slowly, melee is still viable. A large solid block of men is much better in melee than a loose skirmish line. Also cavalry can just run down skirmishers; can't exactly do that to a musket square with bayonets fixed.

Second, is organization. There are no radios, and the guns make a ton of smoke. Everyone must be easy for the commander to see through the smoke, and formations must be tight enough such that everyone can hear orders shouted or played on drums/fife/bugle over the din of battle.

mass volleys increased the visible correlation between the enemy fire and the death of your comrades

People have covered it reasonably well, but one thing that was only briefly mentioned is that a loose formation is very vulnerable to being overrun by cavalry and has difficulty holding ground. Remember that war isn't just about your KDR but about taking places of strategic value.

With that said, skirmishers did exist and were useful for harassing but if they're caught in the open unsupported then they're pretty fucked.

Why didn't they form into semicircle, Veeky Forums?

>Thinking 2-dimensionally in a 3-dimensional plane

Guess who's going to get fucked in the upcoming Minerva wars, Terran scum? Hint-hint; it's fucking YOU :^)

I always like to think of pre-19th century firearms as basically spears that shoot fire every 15-30 seconds.