What is your honest opinion on this man?

What is your honest opinion on this man?

He's a villain, but I root for him anyway

explain

Political and military genius, plus the luckiest man alive. A populist demagogue who connived to gain absolute power, yet in his politics he genuinely sought to fix the problems which have been plaguing the Republic since the Gracchi.

People used a part of his name as a title for centuries. Enough said.

A tyrant.

t. optimas

Pompey was a better general, Cicero was a better orator, Crassus was a better politician and Cato was a better man but he beat the four of them all the same.

HE
WAS
A
CONSUL
OF
ROME

Chad

>the luckiest man alive
Boy, have I got news for you...

He was a good friend

mfw ptolemy shows me the head of my frenemy

>pompey was a better general
no

Caesar was really a very clever fellow, and the Gauls were of course a bunch of fools.

My nigga

Is it wrong to compare him to Napoleon?

>pompey was a better general

because it was just a savvy political move to alienate yourself from the senate, fail to take credit for your own victory over spartacus, tarnish what remains of your alliances in Rome, take everything east, decline Armenian support, take his army into the desert and get thousands of them killed along with himself and his son.

Such a savvy politician he was.

A flawed man, but a man I'd like to think I would follow until I (or he) died.

> Pompey
> Defeats Mithridates, BTFOs pirates, puts down rebellions
>Caesar
> kills a bunch of unwashed barbarians

>BTFO Pompey and the rest of the Senate.
>BTFO Egyptians
Mmmm uh sweetie try again

>still loses against caesar despite having every conceivable advantage in pitched battle

Also dispense with this meme that the Gauls were German-tier barbarian snowniggers.

this

>hundreds of years of cowering in fear from the big mean gauls up north always fearing their advance when Rome moved armies elsewhere
>suddenly in less than a decade one man goes from crushing debt to master of all of gaul, with unprecedented invasions into Britain and Germany
>t-they were just sm-smelly barbars! it wasn't even a big deal!

nobody could do it for 500 years but suddenly it's no biggie

>a war that was all but won for him
>fucking pirates
>a slave revolt

Magnus, more like fagnus

t. Marcus Junius Brutus

Yes, obviously. You can compare Napoleon to him, but not the other way around, that's not how historical comparisons work.

Caesar was just the least assholish

Absolute bloodthirsty, power-hungry maniac... but he literally signle-handedly shaped the history of Europe (and thereby the rest of the world) because of one tactical decision he made during one of his campaigns.

Julius Caesar is a cunt, but he's also the proof that history is shaped by cunts and double-faced sons of bitches, not nice guys and just rulers.

HE WAS A CONSOLE OF ROME

>the luckiest man alive

what do you know, user?

Murderer who killed a bunch of Gauls, political retard who gave the Republic its death-blow and brought in the inherently flawed Empire, an inferior and inherently unstable political organization. A great leader would have reformed the Republic. Caesar was a failure.

Murder?

it was merely pest control