Battle of Vienna, 1683

Would Vienna really have fallen to the Ottomans if Polacks never arrived?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_Cossacks
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Overrated

The first one is much more underated so much closer to falling

Maybe, maybe not. It wouldnt have changed much, because the Turks wouldnt have got any further and Vienna would have been regained shortly after (and with Austria+Friends probably pushing ahead into Hungary the Great Turkish War would have developed the same just as if Vienna had not fallen)

I dont know if the danger of the town falling was larger (the Turks left most of their artillery behind if I remember rightly), but the Ottoman Empire was far more powerful in relation to the other european powers, so the consequences might have been more harsh

But on the other hand Vienna in the 16th century was a lot smaller and unimportant then in the 17th century

what did Marek do to you user

>the Turks fail to take it
>the Moldavians fail to take it
>the Bohemian rebel scum fail to take it
>the Swedes fail to take it
>the Swedes fail to take it
>the French fail to take it
>the Prussians fail to take it
>the French actually take it
>the French actually take it... again, fuck you too Napoleon
>the French fail to take it
>the Germans dont wanna take it

Is Habsburg Vienna the GOAT euro top5 capital in terms of repulsing agressors?

probably, the weather situation and the technological inferiority of weapons was slowing down turks too much but they came quite close to taking the city more than once

also vienna was the extent of the turkish supply lines and if taken would have provided the ottoman empire with another supply base for yet another series of conquests

Yeah and almost always the agressors are repelled by others countries not Austria

we took it though, too bad hunyadi died early and without an heir

Didn't the Mongols try and take it too, or am I misremembering?

They were close by when they stopped and returned to elect a new Khan. But back then Vienna was something like a larger village.

I also only counted since 1500, when Vienna became somewhat relevant.
Shortly before that the hungarian king occupied and hold it for some years, because the austrian archduke couldnt be bothered to try to get it back.

t. Eternal Kraut

thanks!

>the Germans dont wanna take it
kek

le bump Xd

no

Yes

THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED

hmmm

Sein vaterland muss gößer sein!

Didn't a Hungarian king take it?

bump

It might have, but the accepted theory is that Ottomans were weak even half a century before the siege, so it is seen as inevitable that it would have lost major clay afterwards.

Unless they did a rapid westernization the moment they captured vienna, no they would not be able to hold in long term.

What vienna did was to show ottomans were not strong as they were a century before, while it was internalyl weak for qutie some time it was after second siege of vienna that showed everyone emperor had no cloths afterall

t. Turk, ongoing phd (not on early modern though)

Kara Mustafa didnt want to sack Vienna so he waited longer than he should and Crimean Khanate did not do there part by attacking the Polish Hussars.

Sultan Sulieman was struck with terrible weather, cannons were left behind so he just said fuck it I've shown my might enough.

>sending irregulars against hussars

that never ended well

I still can't get over how the Turks lost half their artillery on the way in their own godforsaken territory, like did they not think maybe those campaign funds would have been better spent on a little infrastructure to turn their empire from a third world shithole (even by the times) into something more worthwhile?

it was not their territory

back then, you practiced control over the vicinity of forts, the villages, the roads, towns were all loosely controled

due to the nature of they waged war, a better roadsystem would helped the opposition better, campaign lasted from may to september, but hostilities didnt stop

austria and whats left of hungary remained active during the off season in a smaller scale, you wouldnt want them to move faster than they were already

it was so bad that some towns, hundreds kilometers aways from the "border" (the furthers fort really) payed double taxes:
to the sultan and to their "ex" christian overlord

Honestly what a clusterfuck, being a border region peasant does not sound /comfy/ at all

the entire Alföld (plains between austria and serbia) became largely deserted and had to be repopulated later once the turks were chased out

>comfy
no it was no comfy at all

Cossacks did well on some occasions

We are speaking of the hungarian frontier in the 16th century here.
Its practically the most un-comfy area imaginable at that time

which "cossacks"
if you mean the russian cavarly then yea, but those were regulars

the term is a bit misleading
the radio conversation mentioned cossacks shooting down MH-17 aswell

>which "cossacks"
>if you mean the russian cavarly then yea, but those were regulars
Like, when?
Also
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_Cossacks
>Cossacks did well on some occasions

>Over 10 cossacks uprisings
>only one was quite successful
>only in one battle cossacks defeated winged hussars
>Poles outnumbered 1 to 10, and there was only one chorągiew of winged hussars (about 150 men)
>defeated, as in 3 weeks battle, which ended in truce, which Khmelnytsky broke and ambushed retreating forces. Twice.
Oh sure they did great.

I bet

boomp