Social Interaction in Europe among commoners before 1830

Random thought I've had recently: it seems like common people in Europe before about 1830 or so would have had little interaction with people outside of family, and possibly their village.

There were no railroads or telegraphs to speak with people a long ways away. Most people worked in family businesses, and even if they worked outside of the family, there were no giant companies as we understand them today. I don't think there was any sort of mass education.

In Catholic Europe, church would probably be less social as well, as the mass and everything else was in Latin.

Am I way off base or is this mostly correct?

Pic unrelated, I just like large breasts.

You're hella wrong, premodern Europe had way more tightly knit communities. Church was social as shit, everyone in the community went on sundays. Everyone knew the people they interracted with day to day. You'd say hi to Mike the butcher and then Sam the baker and then user the farmer, you wouldn't just go to the supermarket and shop for the entire week without saying a word to the nameless, identityless cashier

>In Catholic Europe, church would probably be less social as well, as the mass and everything else was in Latin.
Not at all. The church was the corners-torn of social events, festivals and gatherings. Just because the Mass was in Latin doesn't mean everything else the Church did was.

>Church was social as shit, everyone in the community went on sundays.
Not only that but obviously during Saints days, the icon they would bring around town was in the Church.

That still happens everywhere in Italy and other Catholic regions

Exactly. OP seems to be "way off base," only knowing that Mass was held in Latin but not knowing anything else about the situation in Catholicism and Europe.

Remember, Europe wasn't all Serfs and Feudalism at the time. Many places in the UK and the former HRE had pretty civil structures. And besides travel and telco where limited at the time, many people had friends and acquaintances living in nearby towns and villages.

>"You're hella wrong"
>Doesn't contradict OP at all

Everything you're describing is interactions within a village.

1830, now, whenever, being cosmopolitan is a meme

>There was little interaction outside their family
>Not really
>Pic related, you.

Same goes for cities, even capitals, btw.

> and possibly their village

I know reading to the end of a sentence can be difficult.

Possibly denotes a certain skepticism to the truth of the matter.

Correcting this skepticism is not in any way a faulty action you fucking retard

Travel and regional mobility was much more frequent in the past than people assume.
Even farmers went to the next town on a weekly basis for the market. In the age before reliable telecommunications people had to go places, every bit of official business (relative dies, inheritance, buy/sell land, whatever) needed you to travel to the town/city where the officials where, and so you'd see a fair bit of country side and towns and cities on the road.
It is fair to assume that the average European had a fair sized regional network of peoples he new, and news spread quickly enough.

I checked my family records and from what I can tell they moved all throughout the country the past five centuries.

Even before the industrial revolution some members of the family lived in different cities up to a days walking away. I can't imagine they never saw each other, they acted as witness for each other in the civil registry.

What you're referring to is actually more of an orthodox thing, and in Italy it happens exclusively in the south, appropriately.

It happens in all of the peninsula and in Sardinia and Sicily too.

>It happens in all of the peninsula
Right. I mean I never saw it happen and I have lived in Italy 25 years, but I'm sure you're right.

Read this
the real book not the musical comedy
the story is between 1816 and 1830

>Catholic Church less social because of latin
stupid protestant belief
Priests are not foreigners who don't speak the local language
they've never been US administrators in Philippines Hawai or New Mexico

but the village families all knew each other extremely well, how do you avoid that? if you go to any old village all the houses are very close to each other.

that doesn't mean they always liked each other, sometimes families decimated other families and vice versa over village rivalries and disputes.

Southern Italy was byzantine turf for a long time,so it's expected you guys have more eastern orthodox traditions.

Congratulations you win the award for stupidest OP I've read so far today. Also you sound like you're fucking 15

Kill yourself

Ad Hom is not an argument. Neck yourself.

>half of Veeky Forums is literally unlabeled pics with "what the fuck was their problem?" or "was it austism?" or "REEEEEEEEEE"
>but this thread with a legitimate, answerable question and reasonably narrow time frame is the problem

Fucking kill yourself and your family.

This. Also in Britain, the chapels were even more of a social hub.

>common people before 1830
So about 4K years

>cntrl+f
>no "milk"
what the hell

people would travel from the villages into town for many reasons, for example they would all go weekly to the town market
carpenters and stonemasons would often travel and live wherever their trade was needed. in the middle ages many english workers went to france to build castles

travel was pretty common i guess although much slower. but people back then weren't always in a rush and work wasn't a daily routine like today but it was seasonal

People went to church. They got their news from the church, even though those news were a month old. Teenagers had to know how to read before their confirmation rites, at least in protestant tradition. They were closed town to town mostly.