Your opinion?

your opinion?

>Go to High School 2002-2006
>Get assigned this to read 3 times

was annoying. Were no sparknotes for it back then either

Probably the most influential American history book in recent times. It basically set up how American history is taught:

Killed the Indians ---> Revolution for white men ----> Slavery ---> Civil War ---> Jim Crow ----> WW2 with emphasis on internment/hiroshima ---> McCarthyism ---> JFK died ----> Civil Rights ---> Vietnam ----> Race riots ---> 9/11/gitmo ---> Iraq War

Plays on emotions too much. Glad I read it though; now I can have an informed discourse on it's contents when they're brought up.

FUCK WHITE PEOPLE

never read it
what does it say about hiroshima and nagasaki

OP here. this is why i'm hesitant to read it. honestly i don't really care about the whining of the losers of history. is this what the book is?

>Zinn was born to a Jewish immigrant family in Brooklyn on August 24, 1922.
I wish, just once, that /pol/ would be wrong.

this is the superior history kino lads

AY WHITEY BEEN OPPRESSIN NIQQAZ SINCE FOREVA AN YO HONKEY AZZ 2 BITCHMADE 2 HANDLE THA TROOF FUCK YALL AN FUCK WHITE PEOPLE REAL TALK

Social history has its place, but always remember the author's bias. Howard Zinn is a far-left Jew, so he's obviously extremely anti-white, either by commission or omission.

It's a good read for a certain kind of reader, namely, for people who are in high school or recently graduated. It acts as a counterbalance to the outrageously propagandized version of American history you get in public school.

Strong points: good narratives of labor movements, the anti-war movement in Vietnam; a good critical angle on the US Constitution as a document limiting liberalism (in the political philosophy sense) rather than constructing it.

Weak points: needless space dedicated to defending the Rosenbergs (and he's clearly wrong here) and Qadaffi. No specific citations where it would be helpful (he has a long general bibliography at the end but he seems to have mostly written People's History off the top of his head, which is fine for a professional historian writing a text for high school aged readers. But certain controversial bits would be bolstered by direct citations.

Just remember: this was meant to be a kind of high school textbook, not a grand thesis on history.

Hitler was a cuck

>I wish, just once, that /pol/ would be wrong.

They are wrong all the fucking time. They made a huge deal about this Armenian girl who's objectively not Jewish yet they affirm she is. Jews just are strong in their beliefs. That's why you have someone like Dennis Prager or Ben Shapiro that shills for conservatives as hard as any libjew does.

>losers of history

Exactly when is history over such that we may assess the relative losers and winners?

Does it not occur to you that certain groups (say, the Germans) are at various points the losers, the winners, the conquerors, the conquered?

Would you be willing to read Lenin in 1963 but not today?

Do you have a brain?

and he only had one testicle, a micropenis, was addicted to crystal meth and wore diapers because he shit himself daily hehehe

i just dont care about the oppressed

I think you mean, "I'm just intellectually lazy and I prefer to have my instincts verified by others instead of thinking critically about the world."

>defending the Rosenbergs
what is his position?

He argues that they were innocent scapegoats.

I can't speak for Dennis Prager, but Ben Shapiro is not a conservative, he just pretends to be one because only conservatives are stupid enough to sincerely support Israel.

If commies were the ones supporting Israel, he would go on campus tours extolling the virtues of planned economies and dialectical materialism.

should be paired with this read both, come to your own conclusions

It's good. Important information all Americans should know. Simpletons are often offended by any criticism of the US gov't (muh feels) and don't like the book very much.

It's a good part in the volume of American history.

This. Fuck White People!

literally trash and the reason why racism still exists today , thanks liberals

Anita Saarkesian is not only not Jewish, the guy who writes all her stuff (she doesn't write scripts herself) is this

/pol/ is constantly wrong on MASSIVE issues (i.e. fascism being able to work, the holocaust happening, bolsheviks being majority jewish, etc.) so the best they can do is feel vindicated when they find a left-wring guy whose a Jew.

I don't get why /pol/beards get so angry when you point out Hitler's health/performance issues

>"guys I'm not a nazi or anything but (((THOSE))) FUCKING KIKES ARE BESMIRCHING THE FUHRER WHEN THEY POINT OUT HE LIKED GETTING SHAT ON

So what if he was Jewish? He clearly struck a nerve with people like you for daring to expose the brutal reality of American history.

Babby's first revisionist history. A good start, but don't treat it like the gospel.

Half liberal bullshit, half redpilled.

>August 24
>My ex-girlfriend's birthday

>half redpilled

Bitch, what in the fuck are you talking about? Give me ONE excerpt that's vaguely redpill and I'll go away.

i agree why cant those disgusting /pol/lys face the simple historical truth that hitler, or shitler i like to call him, was a one balled tweaker with autism?! oy vey i thought this was the history board!

definition of a meme pop history book.
can be safely discarded in the trash.

>(((Howard Zinn)))

>your opinion?

White People Are Evil: The Book

Still, it's worth reading to get a perspective from the other side and it's not completely full of shit.

it's redpilled in a way that the US image as some bastion of free democracy and land of opportunity is only paper thin.

The US very much is a nation that looked after the interests of profit and production before the rights of their citizens. Case and point being the Homestead strike where workers demanding better conditions, pay, and working hours was met with mercenaries and national guardsmen to kill workers in order to get the plant back up and running so money and steel can be made again.

the US was actually a very brutal power the suppressed workers rights, only giving in when faced with nationwide revolt.

stay mad faggot

>it's redpilled in a way that the US image as some bastion of free democracy and land of opportunity is only paper thin.

You suck at writing.

What are you trying to say? That the leftist critique is largely true? But we should be happy about those things instead of upset?

If you allow "redpill" to be used in this sense, aren't literally all leftists "somewhat redpill" ?

Does that not strike you as a usage which undermines the principal meaning of the word?

What do you think redpill means.

you're obviously not here for discussion, you just want to balk at people who try to challenge you.

If you follow redpill's definition of seeing the world in a more realistic viewpoint rather than what you are led and taught to believe, then yes the image of the US moral high ground begins to crack at all the measures that were taken to ensure profit and production before the well being of citizens, then that is indeed being redpilled.

I don't need to discuss this further with you, as you're narrowing the use of the word to fit a right-wing narrative, rather than knowing that both sides of the aisle have valid points, otherwise no one would support such a baseless institution.

you know it is exactly this kind of hateful ignorance that caused the holocaust in the first place! if you want to educate yourself i recommend chaim shekelstein professor emeritus of shoah studies at brandeis seminal work entitled "how could he?! a psychoanalysis of adolf hitler" in this amazing book professor shekelstein reveals recently discovered excerpts from hitlers private diaries that expose the man the world knows as the leader of the third reich was actually a female to male transsexual named gretel scheisskopf. its very educational and theres even talk of making it part of the required reading for american middle school students so you definitely wanna pick up a copy!

It's anti white Jewish propaganda

Howard Zinn presents a comical view of America's dark history, Europeans were all unilaterally pirates who jumped off their ships biting a cutlass and frothing at the mouth while the natives were carebears.

Now I'm interested

>anti white Jewish propaganda
do you realize this bullshit only plays into the hands of leftists

Redpill, as far as I can tell, refers to an abandonment of the secular liberal consensus followed by a full and uncritical acceptance of its shallowest competitors (nationalism, racial "realism" etc.)

I genuinely think I'm smarter and more well read than 99.9% of this stupid website, and I won't apologize for it.

Redpill is a meme that refers to the scene in the Wachowski Brothers/Sisters™ The Matrix (1999). It is usually meant as a joking term for being given information that is not the mainstream consensus.

Oh... so /pol/ is just referring to a movie meme? whew... I thought it was way more sinister than that and had political connotations for some reason.

How do you not get Matrix references?

I've never even seen it and I immediately knew what "take the red pill" means.

How do you not get the sarcasm?

Usually Veeky Forums memes aren't considered sinister.
Unless your a Democrat.

What's the best general book on American history, Veeky Forums? Mostly what I know about it I've picked up through osmosis rather than actually reading about it.

Since we're no longer talking about anything, bye.

(btw I'm a consistent right to lifer opposed to abortion, war, euthanasia, nuclear weapons, state marriage and poverty- not a democrat- but yes, I'm repulsed by your little memes which betray a genuine indifference to human suffering an inability to express oneself as a human soul in a world characterized by extreme sadness, superficiality and consumerism. it's much easier to make a joke out of everything but I hope you get serious about searching for a way out from you meaningless days. good luck user)

We essentially got taught this as American history.
The whole thing is pretty much "COMMUNISTS DINDU NUFFIN GETTIN THEIR COUNTRY ON TRACK HE WAS GOIN TO THE BREADLINES ERRYDAY" + "America is the source of all evil in the world"

Even leftist historians are critical of Zinn, this book is propaganda first and foremost. Historical accuracy was a tertiary concern of his

>Howard Zinn is a communist Jew
>the Rosenbergs were communist Jews who were also Soviet spies
Gee I wonder...

Reminder that the Spanish Crown didn't actually give a shit about how Columbus allegedly treated the natives. It was just a good excuse to weasel out of a contract that would've otherwise cost them a lot of money down the road as they grew obscenely rich off of New World wealth.

tries really hard to push the narrative that the euro-american working-class is tricked by rich people into being racists. off the top of my head, he claims:

-bacon's rebellion being an example of black and white lower-class unity, when it was just some settlers who wanted to kill a bunch of indians against the injunctions of their colonial government, and some slaves who thought they could get their freedom by joining it.

-that your everyday white californians didn't know about japanese-americans being herded off into concentration camps and having their land "bought", even though anything on japanese internment that's longer than a fucking paragraph will talk about newspaper articles basically screaming "take japanese-american land!" dating back to the mid 1930s.

- and my favorite, he mentions the strike wave that happened in the u.s. during world war ii as if it was wonderful example of "class consciousness," when a significant portion of them were hate strikes, basically angry white people that wanted to keep black people out of anything above janitor positions.

still, better than a lot of stuff, but whatever

lol download PDF and judge it for ur self