Should stolen artefacts be returned?

Should stolen artefacts be returned?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iEvRk2tL82U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They belong in museums!!!

If I'm white and said artifacts aren't from white people: No
If I'm not white and said artifacts aren't from white people: Yes

Yes and no. It depends on whoever can look after the artefacts best. But taking them from the countries they come from when they are perfectly capable of looking after them is theft.

Till you pay the debt, Papapoulos

I'd rather not dump shit from Iraq and Syria into ISIS' hands / at the mercy of incessant conflict. If they're sitting in a British museum, they're at least well cared for.

I don't think artifacts from thousands of years ago "rightfully" belong to anyone just because they live in the same area they originated from. Obviously that stuff was long ago abandoned, so finders keepers I say.

no

t. brit

also it would make sense to keep them in one of the worlds more stable countries so that somebody doesnt palmyra them. Much as I like greece they're shit and they can't have the marbles back for good reason, same goes for egypt, china and a bunch of other shitholes, fuck you
we've only tunred into iconoclastic retardeds once in our long history which is a pretty good record git gud

If white people stole it yes .
No other wise.

That's a fun way of describing theft.
I'll use it the court next time .

>theft

You can't steal something that doesn't belong to anyone.

take all artifacts and put them in white countries so the fucking subhumans can't destroy them out of jealousy

Should savages take back what they don't appreciate from people who do?

Not unless the person that created it or bought it wants it back.

Like, even if a particular painting went down twenty generations of buyers, I don't see it as belonging any less to the buyer. If the government wants it they can buy it off that person.

As for real historic relics, definitely not. National identity is a complete fiction, and nobody is entitled to anything. I'd say the people that "deserve" to have them are those that would expend the most money to preserve and protect.

But this idea that Turks should give back things taken from the Greeks hundreds of years ago, that were already over a thousand years old, because they "belong" in Greece, is pretty ridiculous. Not saying Turks are the worst offenders but it's a topic Greeks seem incredibly salty about.

HAVING SAID ALL OF THIS, even if you own an artifact, you should have to provide evidence that you're keeping it safe and leave it at the disposal of any researchers. Just because you own something doesn't give you a right to destroy it. Those creeps from the 20th century that kept buying paintings from other dead artists only to paint over them should've been publicly flayed.

Those are the Engil's Marbles no?
Those belong back to the Greeks because they can take care of them now since 2009 and their new museum! The British excuse that the Greeks could not maintain them used to have some legitimacy but not any more.

>Much as I like greece they're shit and they can't have the marbles back for good reason
There was a ghastly woman on the BBC's documentary on the Parthenon marbles who said precisely that: until you prove you can look after the shit you've got, then there's not hope of you convincing us to give you the marbles that Elgin took.

I'm not an expert and wouldn't like to speculate on how well Greece are taking care of what's left but I think the sentiment is correct, even if it's sounds horrific when worded as such.

Also, whether Elgin stole them or not isn't a relevant debate any more in my opinion. And we haven't even touched upon the grim future of museums if this sort of "GIVE IT BACK" sentiment takes hold.

>The British excuse that the Greeks could not maintain them used to have some legitimacy but not any more.
wait another hundreds years and see if that argument still holds water, nobody knows what the future holds and greece by and large is quite an unstable country and we don't have enough of a histrorical precedent to think that this has changed

we have to think about the long, long term

being part of nato and the eu can't be counted on as guarantees stability for hundreds of years

A survey should be done on countries measuring their safety and stability levels and their likelihood to fall into conflict and they should be transferred periodically to which ever nations fare the best.

Fuck off, that would mean giving everything to norwegians or some shit and those fucking snowniggers lack a soul, how are they supposed to care for art.

the UK wins hands down again, they've only had one revolution and two invasions in the last 1000 years, and I'm not sure if it's fair to count the second one because it was done by invitation

they dont have an native english word or phrase that describes a coup d'etat / putsch understandably

either that or put everything in Japan but fuck that; London is probably the most accessible / stable location for these artifacts

It belongs in a museum!

i was in the London museum debating my uncle about this some years back.I believe we where in the Assyrian or Persian section. He pointed to the statues and said we should hand them all back. Skip a few years and the Islamic state are destroying them all and any other artifacts they can get their hands on

this is why you don't talk to plebs

I wouldn't give the Elgin Marbles back to Greece tbqh. Greece is an extremely unstable country and it's only going to get worse with their Turkroach fascist neighbor.

i wish he was....he works for the bank of england....

I think this movie sums it up pretty clearly
youtube.com/watch?v=iEvRk2tL82U

one of my favourite films if not favourite, thanks for all the (you)s

fug, by chance I know the head of the royal parks and gardens and he can be suprisingly close minded about some things as well, there's a real air of historical revisionism in the west at the moment a feeling that everything needs to be reevaluated
it might just be the post-empire mindset, it's a shame that it's just as elitist in it's own way