Did East Asians and Europeans ever note the weird parallels between the histories of their respective regions?

Did East Asians and Europeans ever note the weird parallels between the histories of their respective regions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DA-AkJzpKmg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide
shanghaiist.com/2015/07/01/average-heights-men-women.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

such as?

not op but I wrote a paper for like a 1000 level class in college about the similarities between the Roman empire and whatever Chinese empire was contemporary, and also the spread of both Christianity and Buddhism. I would skim it again but im abou to leave for work so maybe later.

Wouldn't mind that user.

So here goes a bumb for this thread.

Korea is Ireland

youtube.com/watch?v=DA-AkJzpKmg

>Oh what a surprise, similar administrative, cultural, social, and economic practices create a centralized nation state capable of supporting a massive army dominating its neighbors

>Europe
>centralized nation state
Pick one

bump for knowledge

Two religions and two empires.

Is this what you call "similarities"

>it's another 50 cents thread

Wumao pls

You see a lot of that in comparative politics.

Try giving The Origins of Political Order a read. The section on China is pretty cool.

Kill yourself

Other regions? Nope.

Each other? Yes.

Japan, for example, kept naming historical events after similar events in earlier Chinese history.
>Competing scions of the imperial household of Japan split the country into two courts: in the Northeast and in the Southwest.
Japanese: OMG THIS IS LIKE THE NANBEICHAO PERIOD OF CHINA. LET'S CALL IT SOMETHING LIKE IT: NANBOKUCHO.
>Japanese warlords fall into infighting and division following the weakening of Ashikaga rule.
Japanese: OMG THIS IS LIKE WARRING STATES CHINA, LET'S CALL IT THE WARRING STATES TOO.

While waiting for knowledgeable to return,

>200s BC
-Roman Republic rises to dominate the Italian peninsula
-Qin Dynasty rises to dominate the Chinese heartland
>100s BC
-Rome destroys its worst enemy, Carthage
-Han Dynasty destroys its worst enemy, the Xiongnu
>0-100s AD
-Roman Imperial Golden Ages
-Han Dynasty Golden Ages
>200s
-The Crisis of the Third Century in Rome. The empire is divided into three - the Gallic Empire in the west, the Palmyran Empire in the east, and the central remains of the Roman Empire.
-The Three Kingdoms Period in China. The empire is divided into three - Wei in the north, Wu in the southeast, and Shu in the southwest.
>300s
-Rome is reunited and stabilized under the Tetrarchy and Christianity.
-China is reunited and stabilized under the Jin Dynasty.
>400s-500s
-The Western Empire falls and the West is occupied by barbarians who found their own kingdoms. Romaness moves to the Eastern Empire which becomes the Byzantine Empire.
-The Jin falls and the North is occupied by barbarians who found their own kingdoms, which eventually become the Northern Dynasties. Chineseness moves to the South where the Eastern Jin is established, which becomes the Southern Dynasties.
>600s-800s
-The Byzantine Empire's golden ages.
-Reunification under Sui and the Tang Dynasty's golden ages.
>900s
-Turkic Invasions lead to huge losses for Byzantines. Problems at home and in the Balkans.
-Fall of the Tang in China, infighting and chaos create the 5 Dynasties and 10 Kingdoms.
>1000s-1100s
-The Byzantine Renaissance after the Komnenian Restoration. Much stability and sciences.
-The Song Renaissance Period after the reunion under the Song Dynasty. Much stability and sciences
>1200s-1600s
-Byzantine Empire nearly falls from invading Crusaders and Muslims, rallies under the Palaiologos dynasty, then falls to the Ottomans.
-Song Dynasty falls to the Mongol Yuan dynasty, Chineseness rallies under the Ming, then falls to the Manchu Qing dynasty.

This actually had me cracking up.

IIRC Imperial Japan also wanted to be the Britain of Asia.

>600s-800s
>Rise of Islam
>Huge loss of Byzantine's territory
>The Byzantine Empire's golden ages

You know jack shit about Byzantine

>Alexander the great is seen as this great unifier
>christcucks see this and call Jesus king of kings because they want to unify the black masses

What's China?

Is Vietnam Yugoslavia?

Makes sense. They're both angry, drunk, short, and got enslaved and colonized by the island next to them.

>Rome destroys its worst enemy, Carthage
>Han Dynasty destroys its worst enemy, the Xiongnu

Han-Chu contention would be a more accurate comparison. If Chu or Carthage won, the entire history of East Asia and Western Europe would be changed completely.

Considering they got their ass together after being split in addition having a small southeast asian empire in their history?

No, they're not that pathetic.

>223BC - Qin conquers Chu
>201BC - Second Punic War ends
it's like pottery

>In addition to a reassertion of Byzantine military power and political authority, the period under the Macedonian dynasty is characterised by a cultural revival in spheres such as philosophy and the arts. There was a conscious effort to restore the brilliance of the period before the Slavic and subsequent Arab invasions, and the Macedonian era has been dubbed the "Golden Age" of Byzantium.

More like
>202 BC - Han defeats Western Chu to win hegemony over China
>201 BC - Rome defeats Carthage to win hegemony over the Mediterranean

Now th

*Now that's pottery.

Yugos
>ethnic division
>civil wars to seperate, not unite
>lose war against US backed forces
>now several mediocre countries and one or two good ones

Vietnam
>ethnic unity
>defeat USA, then proceed to defeat china, two of the largest countries in the world
>unite entire country under one governmemt
>currently a unified, legitimate country

Asides from communism they really aren't that similar

Korea = Ireland
Japan = Britain
China = Rome
???

>Macedonian Dynasty
>Basil II
>600-800

More like China = France

France didn't exit during Roman empire and mainly got into power way late in the civilization game.

It draw too many parallels here.

France is biggest soft power and arguably strongest military power in Europe until 1700s. France culture is widely admired throughout Europe. French language is pretty much the lingua franca of Europe before English.

To me this only proves that the histories of east and Asia and Europe aren't really that analogous. I can see Chinese civilization being to Japan what Greco-Roman civilization is to Western Europe. In this case the only analogue to what MENA was for Europe is Indian and that doesn't fit too good.

I'm noting this weird Rome x ancient China obsession on Veeky Forums lately

Vietnam never defeated China in 1979.

All Western historians state that it was a draw.

Frequency illusion.

Rome and China has been compared to since the birth of internet and even long before that in some circas. You can find old google groups chat/forum and you'll see the same old discussions thats being discussed here.

Sorry guys, here, I must have lost the thumbdrive with the paper.
I really dont have too much to soy other wise

Rome and China have been compared since they first became aware of each other.

China literally thought of Rome as the other China on the opposite side of the Eurasian continent.

>tfw rome and china never properly met
>tfw rome collapsed and now china is forever alone

Mongolia = Poland

I thought Koreans were tall for asians? Also I never realised shortness was an Irish stereotype.

That's why I keep my papers in Google Drive.

Explain how.

Average South Korea and Northeast Chinese is 5'8.5, average Vietnamese and Southern Chinese is 5'5-5'6.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide

shanghaiist.com/2015/07/01/average-heights-men-women.php

What if Alexander had made it to China? He would have arrived in the middle of the warring states, what would have happened?

Islands and small regions make for smaller people. Animals do it too

"[Pure Land Buddhism] is noted for its emphasis on salvation by faith alone which is often compared with the Protestant Christian teaching of Martin Luther (1483-1546). Francis Xavier, the famous Catholic missionary to Japan, is said to have exclaimed on hearing of this teaching that 'the accursed Lutheran heresy had reached Japan.'"

Damn prods

It would be extremely hard for him to make it out of India alone, less so reaching China.

Bottom line, he wouldn't. But say if he did, then it would be interesting to say the least. Maybe qin wouldn't win, maybe chu would unite China faster, maybe China would remain fractured and gets gobbled up.

You are doing it right now.