One ancient account of the death of Chrysippus, the 3rd century BC Greek Stoic philosopher...

>One ancient account of the death of Chrysippus, the 3rd century BC Greek Stoic philosopher, tells that he died of laughter after he saw a donkey eating his figs; he told a slave to give the donkey neat wine with which to wash them down, and then, "...having laughed too much, he died"

I don't get it

if he had a wife he would have given her to the donkey as well

Only the 3rd century BC kids will get.

Sounds pretty funny. Imagine being there, it'd be even Funnier

haha

Doesn't seem like a good stoic.

>be walkin in the hood
>sum nigga feedin his dog collard greens n candy yams
>"shiiieeeeet, das a fancy ass dog eatin collard greens n shieet, why dont u let him wash that down wit sum hennesy my nigga"
>start hollerin n hootin
>die of laughter
now that ive translated it into a medium more palatable to your plebian mind do you find it more conprehensible, op? hth

nobody is confused about what happened but how it was so funny it caused a person to die kinda like when people say they don't get a joke

white people wouldn't understand because your humor is literally shit.

Based tbqh

Its the type of shit thats situationally funny, like when my friend was talking about how stupid some guy is and walked into a parked car.

Guess ya had to be there?

>stoic
>died of laughter
Cruelly ironic death. What are some other ironic deaths throughout history?

he had a heart condition

Yep
He was drunk as well, so it was doubly funny

>he saw a donkey eating his figs; he told a slave to give the donkey neat wine with which to wash them down

What did he mean by this?

He probably just chuckled and had a heart attack, Godfather style. That or it was some ancient meme, lost to history.

HAHAHA XD

>ywn show off your fancy donkey memes at the agora
>You will never be called a faggot by Aristotle because a farmer showed up a week ago and told them all the same story already
Why even go on?

The Ancient Greek word for fig (σύkα, pronounced sýka) was often used as a slang for male genitalia.
I think the donkey was licking it's own dick and Chrysippus told his slave to go give it some wine to wash it down.

There's another version of this where Chrysippus dies from laughing after seeing his drunk donkey trying to eat figs and failing.
It's pretty funny imagining a stumbling donkey struggling with figs while his drunk owner dies nearby.

hahah when you look at it that way, its pretty funny.

>(σύkα, pronounced sýka)
Not in ancient greek, it's more like sooka.

Sooka my dick nigga

mea culpa, ancient greek is not my first language

Quite predictable, still funny.
Well, no shit, I only studied it back in highschool.

sooka blet