Paraguay vs Everyone 1860's

Anyone savvy enough to decode why, among all the silly excuses you can make, Paraguay declared war on it's three larger neighbors.
I've heard some people claiming that Solano had a Napoleon complex, others claim that it was about controlling the River.
I'd love to be enlightened because it doesn't make much sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AQnEBSwdAXw
pastebin.com/iJCVvpqd
libgen.io/search.php?req=Leuchars Chris&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def
youtube.com/watch?v=tYVEbo-NR9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Paraguay has alliance with Uruguay
>Argentina invades Uruguay
>Paraguay defends them
>Uruguay has new government set up, declares war on Paraguay

It was way more complex that those two,the issue of territorial limits was a importan cause of the war,Argentina wanted to annex Paraguay way back and was pushing his "true" clay around the frontier,even in one note Dr.Francia points this problem,Brazil is even more complex a few say it was some kind of social culling of the black populance because there was alot of em,and the issue of matto groso was there too,Urquiza was until the war "friend" of Solano and he though he was going to help him by storming Bs.As

Because he thought his army was up to the task. I mean, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil aren't exactly military powerhouses you know. He probably thought the conflict would be over after a few quick victories.

Clearly he misjudged the resolve of the three nations to actually wage a war.

I've read that Solano wanted to built a railway without Britain's help, that set the fuse.

Fucking Anglos.

The english bankers to be more precise, to wash their hands the british goverment exposed the secret treaty and dennouced it, those who where truly the winners of this war where the bankers,brazil lost his empire because the war,and mitre lost presidency too,uruguay just got fucked up again, and paraguay got occupied back to the debt age.

>triple alliance: 140,000
>paraguay: 300,000
>losses: 440,000

I don't know anything about this conflict, can someone explain?

Like 70% of Paraguay's male population died. Causing another economical crisis.

And people actually believe in the Feminist Utopia?

Believe it or not Paraguay had a bigger army in the beginning of the war, and they were better trained as well. The problem was that they forgot that a bigger army means dick all if you can't reinforce it, and the Huemonkeys and Argentinians had much more available manpower to throw around.
After the war was truly on the downturn, Paraguay (it's probably more correct to say elements of the Paraguayan government that wanted to continue the fight) started conscripting LITERALLY everyone they could find to fight: women, children as young as ~7, old men, everyone they could find, to wage a guérilla war against the Hues and Argentinians. Triple Alliance soldiers would go into villages and just start killing everyone because EVERYONE was a combatant in some way or another.
Incredibly interesting conflict, Paraguay took a long long time to finally recover from the losses it took in the war, which is part of the reason it's such a shithole today.

At the end of the day, everyone lost...except some soldiers, Argentina had it easy, even it started one of the greates railway business.

That may explain why paraguayan women have some strong character in them.

The part of the forced conscripiton is being examined,remember too that brazilians slaved those captives of the opposing side be it civilians or soldiers.

Gauchos suffered alot and died for the war,and the country got debts too...alot of em

Wow, sounds like horrid business. I'm rather ignorant in relation to South American history. And good reading material on the Paraguayan war?

the death toll is alot of more than that.
700.000 black slaves where sent and died in the war because of sickness and hunger,and the pop of Argentina and Paraguay where almost the same in that year.

it depends , do you know spanish? this war is rather anobscure subject even around those countries

Black slaves uniforms had a white robe with a red stripe in the middle, in the paraguayan chaco, black with red and white stood up in from the crowd.

youtube.com/watch?v=AQnEBSwdAXw

Perfect as a background story of a harem anime show.

Only if the girls are also soldiers in a bloody war they are doomed to lose.

Brazilian white "señoritos" where to send 10 black slaves for each own of them.The brazilian army had white officers and soldiers but the numbers where made for black bullet sponges,the strength of brazil then was their navy.

Up to this day Paraguay is stuck in the limbo of economic disaster, Brazil and Argentina used this war to 'purge' the slaves and to make business out of Uruguay, they got the upper hand.

Candido Lopez went to the war, lost an arm, and decide to make paintings of what he was seeing in the battlefield. Cool stuff to look around, they seem like a bunch of stories mixed together.

Unfortunately not, how about some reading material about Lopez era (is that what you'd call it?) Paraguay?

You can find some material of authors like Martin.T McMahon American diplomat and seccesion war hero, he defended the paraguayan cause.
You may find some translated book of him like "Diplomatico en el estridor de las armas" by A.H Davis.
And ofcourse Richard Francis Burton english diplomatic and observer his book "Letters from the Battle-Fields of Paraguay".
Paraguay in the war in La plata.

Thanks a bunch user.

these (and pic related) are the most relevant english language books i can find in this annotated bibliography on the Paraguayan War:
pastebin.com/iJCVvpqd

Leuchars, Chris. To the Bitter End: Paraguay and the War of the Triple Alliance. Westport, CT: Greenwood, 2002.
>A non-professional historian offers a well-written and sometimes insightful account of the war in English. Concentrates on the military conduct and consequences of the struggle, which Leuchars analyzes battle by battle. Though poorly endnoted, the study has the advantage of using secondary sources from all sides, eschewing none of the key materials from Allied and Paraguayan camps. The result is balanced.
free download
libgen.io/search.php?req=Leuchars Chris&lg_topic=libgen&open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

Lillis, Michael, and Ronan Fanning. The Lives of Eliza Lynch: Scandal and Courage. Dublin: Gill & Macmillan, 2009.
>The best overall biographical treatment of the Marshal’s mistress, Eliza Alicia Lynch. Lillis and Fanning have discovered an array of fascinating documentary information on Lynch in Irish and French archives, and here presents an account that portrays her as a loyal, rather conventional, companion to Solano López. They dismiss earlier canards that labeled Lynch as a professional courtesan or worse.

Saeger, James Schofield. Francisco Solano López and the Ruination of Paraguay: Honor and Egocentrism. Lanham, MD, and Boulder, CO: Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
>In portraying Solano López as the despoiler of his country, Saeger unintentionally builds on the classic anti-Lopista tradition and the “tyranny” polemic associated with Cecilio Báez. He describes the Marshal as a delusional authoritarian who led Paraguay to destruction through a childlike quest for glory. Saeger essentially blames Paraguay’s defeat on the actions of a single man. Based mainly on secondary sources.

the bibliography also lists a shit ton of primary source accounts from all types of perspectives, including paraguayans, brazilians, argentinians and an array of foreign observers such as all those mentioned in this user's post

M.Washburn and his book "La conspiration Paraguayenne.
Make mind alot of book have bias for and against Lopez

awesome!

Paraguay was virtually inaccessible by land until the 20th century. You had to navigate the Paraná and Paraguay rivers to reach it, and they thought they could just block the river with fortresses and ships and they would easily win.

Had the Paraguayans won the naval battle of Riachuelo, they might as well have won the war.

>the whole weekend only shit threads on Veeky Forums
>Triple Alliance thread just when I'm about to go to sleep

Dammit.
Then again, the last times when there were threads about the Triple Alliance or Pacific War and I was dumping shit, the threads always died instantly and all interest evaporated

This
Believe it or not for a while it looked like the Paraguayans had the upper hand in just about every department, but as they lost key battles they started to crumble

Dump some shit lad, War of the Triple Alliance is my favorite obscure conflict

Brazil's navy was too much too handle.

>Had the Paraguayans won the naval battle of Riachuelo, they might as well have won the war.

>damn, the allied river fleets are strong
>lets try to mount a surprise attack on them during the morning, when their crews are on land and the ships empty
>yes, yes, I DO understand, we only risk battle if the ships are unmanned, because they massively outgun us
>well fuck, they are actually on alert, so much for our nice surprise
>lets try an open battle

I've just watched some video on YT that claimed that Solano was a crazy war commander it had millions of views so, I came here to get a proper look.

It actually was on its way towards a naval conflict with the mid-19th century Royal Navy.

Dealing with the paraguyan navy instead was probaly the right decision for the brazilian navy

Sorry, but I dont really have anything to copypaste and its too late for me to spend an hour typing stuff in a thread, that usually dies very quickly on Veeky Forums

You really should have made the thread some 12 hours earlier. Or find some other nice user to explain it, its a really fascinating conflict, especially when you realize that there are actually some good points in the paraguyan decision making process to escalate a conflict with Brazil and declare war on Argentina at the very same time.
Its just the sum of these individual strategic decisions added up to something quite different as intended and at some point someone really should have risen up and said "hey guys thats a really dangerous road we are on here, maybe we should think over the whole thing anew"

That would have been awesome to see.

youtube.com/watch?v=tYVEbo-NR9o